Current time: 05/05/2024, 18:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
(28/02/2017 18:28)mbonwick Wrote:  What has branding got to do with the choice of vehicle for engineering and driver training? Come on, it's a bus - this is starting to sound pathetic now.

Because it just goes to show how lapsy daisy stagecoach are towards branding generally.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(01/03/2017 10:22)M60lad Wrote:  Another Hybrid Fire this time on Gill Bent Road in Cheadle Hulme:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/n...e-12672222

12055 was the bus
10845 SN17 MHZ is the first MMC to move into Middleton with a few waiting at HE, will be on the road Monday.
(01/03/2017 15:22)Solo40336 Wrote:  10845 SN17 MHZ is the first MMC to move into Middleton with a few waiting at HE, will be on the road Monday.
Which routes will they be used on mainly?
(01/03/2017 15:32)rod_259 Wrote:  Which routes will they be used on mainly?

Moston Lane and 156's
Promotional video for contactless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R917nMQRAiw

Credit: Stagecoach Bus YouTube Channel.
(01/03/2017 15:22)Solo40336 Wrote:  10845 SN17 MHZ is the first MMC to move into Middleton with a few waiting at HE, will be on the road Monday.

(01/03/2017 10:36)Mayneway Wrote:  Some funny comments regarding contactless payments above. Presumably all those that think it's a quicker alternative to handing over cash - I disagree.
Only last night I was in a shell petrol station waiting to pay (cash) for my fuel. The chap in front had his phone out waving it in front of the card reader trying to pay, after several attempts he ended up getting his card out of his wallet and paying the conventional way.
Contactless is very hit and miss. Cards from accounts with plenty of money in don't often work contactless. I personally don't think stagecoach would see the benifit of doing away with accepting cash.

I use to work in a Shop before I started on the Buses, Its the same everywhere Companies are charged the Change the Collect in our case in a shop it charged for delivery. By using card the Cost is less, the Driver doesn't need as much change, therefore SC wouldn't have to pay as much to have the Change taken and counted at a bullion center saving the money as its cheaper to process Card payment
(01/03/2017 10:41)Mayneway Wrote:  Because it just goes to show how lapsy daisy stagecoach are towards branding generally.

No it doesn't.

You assume that the bus is fit for service and has been deliberately chosen.
How do you know it isn't awaiting parts for a minor issue that prevents its use in service (but not from being driven)?
(01/03/2017 10:36)Mayneway Wrote:  Some funny comments regarding contactless payments above. Presumably all those that think it's a quicker alternative to handing over cash - I disagree.

No, I wasn't intending to suggest that. By itself, I don't think it will make much difference either way to the average speed of a transaction. I'm thinking more of convenience, and the knowledge that I'd always be able to catch a bus, even if I don't have enough cash (or maybe not even know whether I have enough cash, if I am not familiar with the fares).

Only as part of far more fundamental changes to the system, such as have been implemented in London, would it contribute to speeding up boarding. There, touching the card on the reader is the entirety of the transaction. Neither you nor it needs to know where you're going, how many other journeys you intend to make, what other modes of transport you plan to use, etc. You will be retrospectively charged the most favourable fare for the journeys you've made, whether that be a number of single fares, a day ticket, or a weekly ticket. You're not going to convince me that that isn't vastly superior to having to weigh those things up in advance. The number of times I've bought a System One daysaver that included more modes than I actually ended up using, is more than I care to remember!

I do believe contactless technology is improving. The bank card that I had from 2013-2016 was quite troublesome, and often needed numerous attempts; sometimes I just gave up and used chip+PIN. When I received my replacement card from the same bank about a year ago, I was astounded by the difference. It works every time and generally takes less than a second. I've heard others say similar, but never the opposite. Therefore, I do wonder if many people's negative perceptions of contactless are based on experiences that are increasingly not the norm.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 16 Guest(s)