Current time: 01/06/2024, 12:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Buses Orders
RE: New Buses Orders
One of the first of the new Pulsars has already appeared at Ballymena, 3150 MX13 AMO. Is it me, or are the new batches of buses sharing the end prefixs on the registrations with buses already in service? On the EcoCitys there is buses like MX13 AAJ like Birkenheads 3002 and now AMO is like a Speke Gemini.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ulsterbusph...575728920/

Justice is finally here. Rest In Peace the 96, You'll Never Walk Alone.

P309 HEM|N587 CKA|Y721 KNF|N302 CKB|X223 ANC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Maybe I'm letting this get to me more than it should but why oh why have GL decided on Pulsars yet again? Is it depot management going for profit rather than customer satisfaction? I simply cannot see how a case for deckers on the 12/13 being declined.

Just try deckets for a bloody change. Stop treating people like sardines
(22/03/2013 14:50)Phil Wrote:  Maybe I'm letting this get to me more than it should but why oh why have GL decided on Pulsars yet again? Is it depot management going for profit rather than customer satisfaction? I simply cannot see how a case for deckers on the 12/13 being declined.

Completely agree! Everyone knows my opinion on the 12/13 situation by now (and the 10/A AND the 52/A the list goes on...) so I'd just sound like a broken record going off on one again!LOL All I'm going to say is, if the 79 can be converted to deckers why can't any of the routes I've just mentioned?!

Justice is finally here. Rest In Peace the 96, You'll Never Walk Alone.

P309 HEM|N587 CKA|Y721 KNF|N302 CKB|X223 ANC
(22/03/2013 15:36)V671 DVU Wrote:  if the 79 can be converted to deckers why can't any of the routes I've just mentioned?!

The 79 wasn't converted to deckers for no reason. It was standardisation of the order required for the 82, cutting the 74/77, re-routing the 75 away from the route of Okell Drive to Woolton, cutting the route for half the buses on the 79 to form the 79D (then re-extending it Netherley following numerous complaints).

It wasn't just a case of "Oh we need buses, let's get tall ones!"
(22/03/2013 14:50)Phil Wrote:  Maybe I'm letting this get to me more than it should but why oh why have GL decided on Pulsars yet again? Is it depot management going for profit rather than customer satisfaction? I simply cannot see how a case for deckers on the 12/13 being declined.

The 12/13 serve a significant number of hotspots and residential areas. If the services were marketed properly around those areas, they would probably appeal to car users (one of the main points of bus services - to provide car users with other ways to travel). If that knock-on effect did take place, patronage figures would increase and would prove that the order of single-deckers for the services was not enough. However, if that did happen and Arriva did eventually decide to provide the services with double-deckers, car users may already have decided against using the services and the damage may have been done. I'm sure that, if double-deckers were drafted in alongside huge marketing effort, their time would be worthwhile.

For existing passengers, in comparison to a typical Marshall, there are five extra seats and an additional area of standing room. Whilst Pulsars do tend to go onto the services regularly at the moment, a full allocation of them will be beneficial somehow. It's something, at least (not much, but better than how it currently is). As for how many have been ordered and how many are needed, there may (on paper) already be enough spare Pulsars to cover what's needed (as 507009 mentioned, the 26/27 usually have a few examples on there). And as for the choice of Pulsars, Volvo/Eclipses seat only one additional passenger (and probably a few standees) - in addition, Arriva probably get Pulsars for a discount price with them being the UK VDL importer, so overall it's better business from their perspective. Wright quality doesn't seem to be great these days, either - Eclipses that I've sampled haven't been much better or worse than Pulsars (hit and miss).

Furthermore, bunching is another big factor with these regular services - often, several pass through Queen Square Bus Station at once, then nothing appears for up to 10 minutes and then the cycle is repeated. Personally, I think that the bunching issue needs to be addressed in order for the services to run more efficiently (such as adding more time where traffic is an issue). Then, when they're running efficiently and passenger numbers are more realistic (spread-out) on each 12/13 journey, patronage figures can be properly assessed.

Bear with me on this - my wording, as always, may be a bit difficult to understand. This isn't aimed at Phil. This scenario also goes with most (if not, all) services. Hope it makes sense and points are taken-in!

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(22/03/2013 21:16)3111 Wrote:  The 12/13 serve a significant number of hotspots and residential areas. If the services were marketed properly around those areas, they would probably appeal to car users (one of the main points of bus services - to provide car users with other ways to travel). If that knock-on effect did take place, patronage figures would increase and would prove that the order of single-deckers for the services was not enough. However, if that did happen and Arriva did eventually decide to provide the services with double-deckers, car users may already have decided against using the services and the damage may have been done. I'm sure that, if double-deckers were drafted in alongside huge marketing effort, their time would be worthwhile.

This was exactly the type of scenario that I thought the 79 would fall into. When this route was converted to single deck operation in 2005, overcrowding was chronic, even at non-peak times. I thought there would be a danger of people abandoning the bus, thus resulting in single deckers being adequate. This simply didn't happen and thankfully, after 6 years, double deckers returned and they are proving their worth once again.

(22/03/2013 21:16)3111 Wrote:  For existing passengers, in comparison to a typical Marshall, there are five extra seats and an additional area of standing room. Whilst Pulsars do tend to go onto the services regularly at the moment, a full allocation of them will be beneficial somehow. It's something, at least (not much, but better than how it currently is).

Going by loadings I have seen on the 12/13, the increase of capacity from a dart to a pulsar probably won't make much difference. Again, I can use the 79 as an example. Literally overnight, the good handful of Olympians that were used on this route were replaced by Marshall and Pointer 2 darts to, ahem, "compliment" the new Strider Cadets on the 79C. Now in similar circumstances to the 12/13, the darts were eventually replaced by slightly larger, 44 seater vehicles (Commanders) in order to ease loadings. Did it work? Did it sh**e and I can see a similar situation happening to the 12/13.

(22/03/2013 21:16)3111 Wrote:  Furthermore, bunching is another big factor with these regular services - often, several pass through Queen Square Bus Station at once, then nothing appears for up to 10 minutes and then the cycle is repeated. Personally, I think that the bunching issue needs to be addressed in order for the services to run more efficiently (such as adding more time where traffic is an issue). Then, when they're running efficiently and passenger numbers are more realistic (spread-out) on each 12/13 journey, patronage figures can be properly assessed.

Spot on!
Queen Square bus station is completely unfit for purpose. Couple this with the ridiculous traffic system in the city centre then you've got problems.

(22/03/2013 21:16)3111 Wrote:  Bear with me on this - my wording, as always, may be a bit difficult to understand. This isn't aimed at Phil. This scenario also goes with most (if not, all) services. Hope it makes sense and points are taken-in!

You made some great points and I hope my replies have some substance to them.

Thing is, I think Arriva are far too comfortable in Merseyside and Liverpool in particular. They hardly have any meaningful competition and they have the might to do whatever they want without any sort of challenge. Why don't they use this advantage to try something new instead of always playing safe with their high frequency corridors. They should try branching out and try introducing links between areas that we haven't got yet.
speke is the only depot that doesnt have pulsars?.

My Fleet:
780 - Alexander Dennis Enviro200 - MX12 DYU - ACE Travel
4488 - Wright Gemini 2 - CX61 CDY - Arriva Crymu Coastliner
27717 - Alexander Dennis Enviro300 - PO11 BCV - Stagecoach M,side
4510 - Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 Hybrid - MX13 AEM - Arriva B,Head
5001 - Caetano City Gold Hydro - MX62 KSZ - Arriva Runcorn
189 - Mercedes Benz Sprinter City 45 - BF62 JZU - HTL
3055 - Wright Pulsar 2 - MX13 ANR - Arriva Green Lane

(24/03/2013 16:25)WGemini4488 Wrote:  speke is the only depot that doesnt have pulsars?.
Nope - because they haven't had any brand-new buses delivered to them since they received their Commanders.

(24/03/2013 17:30)3111 Wrote:  
(24/03/2013 16:25)WGemini4488 Wrote:  speke is the only depot that doesnt have pulsars?.
Nope - because they haven't had any brand-new buses delivered to them since they received their Commanders.

Speke is the only depot in Merseyside that doesn't have an allocation of Pulsars. Plus you're forgetting the 44 Geminis that were delivered in late 2011 Smile
(24/03/2013 17:34)Phil Wrote:  
(24/03/2013 17:30)3111 Wrote:  
Speke is the only depot in Merseyside that doesn't have an allocation of Pulsars. Plus you're forgetting the 44 Geminis that were delivered in late 2011 Smile
Oops - meant brand-new single-deckers! Hammer

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)