Current time: 28/09/2024, 19:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lancashire County Council Cuts to Bus Services
RE: Lancashire County Council Cuts to Bus Services
(01/03/2016 14:32)Barney Wrote:  Nonsense. What you need to understand is that a regulated bus service would cost a lot more to operate than the current deregulated one. Just look at how much it costs to run buses for TfL. If you are old enough to remember, the whole rationale of the 1985 Transport Act (introduced by a Conservative government) was to REDUCE the amount of subsidy from central government to local councils by privatising the bus companies.

SHOULD franchising ever be introduced outside of London, the privatised companies such as Stagecoach and Arriva would only apply to operate routes that were profitable. In essence, the loss of all tendered (non-profitable) services is exactly what the ultimate objective of what was planned some 30 years ago.

Finally, if you don't buy a ticket (vote) don't expect to win the raffle (have your views represented).

The problem is everyone has different opinions. I'm assuming your pro labour and that is your choice it's mine not to particularly like any of them. They all live in a different world down there with there subsidised bars and restaurants, they haven't got a clue how us northerners live.
I quite like the views and beliefs of Oldham council leader Jim Mchanon who's labour but he's a very small fish in a very big pond.

As for franchising no body knows how it will work so how can you call it nonsense? It was my understanding that groups of bigger and smaller (subsidised) services would be bundled together and the winning bidder would operate them all on a commercial style basis with no subsidies paid. It would also so away with the current situation where an operator is happy to run a commercial frequent service on a semi major corridor mon-sat daytime but operates it with a subsidie in the evenings and on Sundays/BH so effectively you bid for a major service you run it 7 days a week, but as said no one knows the exact details of how it would work so don't call someone's comments nonsense because they don't tally with your thoughts etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lancashire County Council Cuts to Bus Services - Mayneway - 01/03/2016 16:23

User(s) browsing this thread: 25 Guest(s)