Current time: 01/06/2024, 19:03 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Your memories of 20 years of the MDDW!
RE: Your memories of 20 years of the MDDW!
First of all, congratulations on reaching 20 years! My first post came all the way back in November 2005, when the site had a guestbook rather than a structured forum like it has now. My post? It was to ask what had happened to the deckers that were allocated to the 79/79D. They were nowhere to be seen. They had been replaced by darts (later replaced themselves by Commanders) and the new Cadets for the 79C. Much needed capacity gone, purely because of one man’s personal dislike of double deckers. Unfortunately, he was the MD at the time.

The introduction of 44 Gemini 2s was probably the most welcome change, back in 2011. I can still remember how strong the ‘new’ smell was on these.
It’s good to see that both Stagecoach and Arriva have changed their attitudes on double deckers in Liverpool. Single deckers are just not appropriate for the vast majority of routes in Liverpool.

The most unexpected change was probably when Ace Travel revived route 38 (Halewood - City Centre). A route that had its origins with LiverLine and then MTL MerseyRider before being renumbered and withdrawn by Arriva. It’s a shame Ace Travel went bust as their 38 appeared to be doing quite well.

A mention has to go to Impera. They had a good go at providing links that didn’t exist beforehand. Alas, like most independents who try to have a go, they went under also.

My favourite bus type in Merseyside has to be the Enviro400MMC.
My favourite livery has to be Glenvale’s initial red and cream. It was MTL in disguise!

Right now, compared to 20 years ago, the bus scene is quite boring. Routes have been slashed, there are only two main operators in Liverpool and their fleets are pretty standard with little variety. That’s what’s missing these days compared to the year 2000. There is no variety any more.

Anyway, here’s to the next 20 years!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your memories of 20 years of the MDDW! - Phil - 27/10/2020 08:43

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)