Current time: 17/06/2024, 05:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
[Archive] Northern (Arriva Rail North)
RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North)
All services between Wigan and Liverpool will now operate via Newton Le Willows , bus replacements in operation Wigan - Huyton in that direction only .

Liverpool - Wigan services can operate normally.
Find all posts by this user
(05/05/2016 11:15)wirralbus Wrote:  I think it maybe time that the flagship Manchester Airport - Liverpool service probably went back to diesel operation until such time as the 319's can prove a bit more trouble free.

Cancelling Manchester Airport services in the long term will result in a loss of confidence that people will be able to get to Manchester Airport trouble free.

Reverting a busy route like Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Airport to two-car diesel multiple unit operation would be a very poor move in my opinion. It would significantly reduce the much needed capacity on what is a very busy route at peak times - and even with the Class 319s operating that route I've seen passengers standing at peak times due to a lack of seats - and not only that the 319s would be sat around doing nothing

Arriva have been operating the franchise for 35 days. Give them time
(05/05/2016 17:30)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  Reverting a busy route like Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Airport to two-car diesel multiple unit operation would be a very poor move in my opinion. It would significantly reduce the much needed capacity on what is a very busy route at peak times - and even with the Class 319s operating that route I've seen passengers standing at peak times due to a lack of seats - and not only that the 319s would be sat around doing nothing

Arriva have been operating the franchise for 35 days. Give them time

Have to say I'd go with wirralbus on this for the reliability point of view, its better to get some people off the station platforms preventing potential injury.
How about one DMU in one direction and an EMU in the other for the off peak?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(05/05/2016 18:20)RedPanda Wrote:  Have to say I'd go with wirralbus on this for the reliability point of view, its better to get some people off the station platforms preventing potential injury.
How about one DMU in one direction and an EMU in the other for the off peak?

I really cannot see the point in removing the Class 319s from that one particular route when they have had failures on all of the routes they are currently deployed on

That wouldn't work because of how unit diagramming works - and there's very little point having a (smaller) diesel multiple unit sat idle for most of the day and only used in the peak hours when it could be used to strengthen services on other routes that aren't electrified at the moment
(05/05/2016 18:38)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  I really cannot see the point in removing the Class 319s from that one particular route when they have had failures on all of the routes they are currently deployed on

That wouldn't work because of how unit diagramming works - and there's very little point having a (smaller) diesel multiple unit sat idle for most of the day and only used in the peak hours when it could be used to strengthen services on other routes that aren't electrified at the moment

Yes but when I've been on the Lime st-Manchester airport line it's always been mostly empty (between Lime st-Newton). I admit you need the extra space at peak hours but it's always been rather empty in my experience. I also admit I don't know what it's like between Newton and the airport. There is the hourly Northern service to Manchester Vic and the Arriva Wales to Piccadilly both of which call at Newton.

Catch the Arriva Wales train to Piccadilly and then the connection.
Alternatively catch the Northern to Victoria and a short walk or free bus ride to Piccadilly.
(05/05/2016 19:17)RedPanda Wrote:  Yes but when I've been on the Lime st-Manchester airport line it's always been mostly empty (between Lime st-Newton). I admit you need the extra space at peak hours but it's always been rather empty in my experience. I also admit I don't know what it's like between Newton and the airport. There is the hourly Northern service to Manchester Vic and the Arriva Wales to Piccadilly both of which call at Newton.

Catch the Arriva Wales train to Piccadilly and then the connection.
Alternatively catch the Northern to Victoria and a short walk or free bus ride to Piccadilly.

There is absolutely no point having four car units sat around in the depot doing nothing and not earning any revenue for their operator apart from at peak times. Just because a service is quieter at certain times of the day doesn't mean that larger units should only be used at peak times

There aren't any Arriva Trains Wales services from Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Piccadilly
(05/05/2016 19:47)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  There is absolutely no point having four car units sat around in the depot doing nothing and not earning any revenue for their operator apart from at peak times. Just because a service is quieter at certain times of the day doesn't mean that larger units should only be used at peak times

There aren't any Arriva Trains Wales services from Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Piccadilly

I know I was meaning Earlestown or Newton-Piccadilly for your Arriva Wales, sorry for the confusion
Liverpool - Manchester Airport services will be moving off the Chat Moss route though im sure i have heard
From what I understand, it is being diverted via Warrington and it will be one of the new Northern Connect services. I'm not sure if under the new plans, with all the new links across the Pennines, if there will be any future link from Chat Moss line To Oxford Road/Piccalilly apart from the present ATW service which only serves Earlestown/Newton-Le-willows.
I heard the current Airport Service is staying but will start calling at every Stop and a new Liverpool - Manchester Airport Service will start limited stop South Parkway and Warrington Central

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)