Current time: 02/06/2024, 13:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Go North East
RE: Go North East
(30/09/2012 20:00)W179 SCU Wrote:  
(30/09/2012 19:53)kuyoyo Wrote:  Just to address some information that's being spread on the 'North East Bus Forum':

As already stated by citaro5284, the S1 will be operated by Saltmeadows depot using the spare 'South Tyne' Cadet owing to the decrease in frequency (as such, you need to increase capacity)
And also, as far as I'm aware (unless citaro5284 knows otherwise) the 5 will remain at Saltmeadows for the foreseeable future

I thought it seemed weird! Why would the 5 be operated by Percy Main, it would cost money to get through the tunnel? Cheers Tony!

Funnily enough I found an old news article about the Tyne Tunnel charges not long ago! Smile

http://web.archive.org/web/2008051518470...r+40+years

If the link doesn't re-direct, copy and pasted from Nexus -

Tunnel tolls for buses end after 40 years

Story added: Thursday 18 October 2007

An agreement between Go North East and Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Authority (PTA) has ended forty years of toll payments for bus services using the Tyne Tunnel and passengers are set to benefit from reduced fares as a result.

From Monday, October 22, passengers using Go North East’s Cross Tyne services 9 and 9A will be able to travel between Percy Main and Jarrow for just £1 single fare, saving between 10p and 80p on each journey.

Martin Harris, Commercial Director with Go North East said

“This is quite an historic moment and we would like to thank the PTA for their generous agreement which has helped us to introduce these savings for our customers. We hope the fare reduction will help people make even more of travelling on this cross-Tyne route.”

Chairman of the Passenger Transport Authority, Counicillor David Wood added

“I am delighted we are working alongside Go North East for the benefit of the local community. Passengers will be able to take advantage of reduced fares and make savings on their daily bus journeys through the Tyne Tunnel.”

The fare offer is available on all stops between Percy Main Metro Station and Jarrow Metro Station.

Can't say for sure if this arrangement is still in place, because the cross Tyne service became operated by a different operator, Veolia, at some point. I'm not sure if Percy Main currently has the capacity for an extra 4 vehicles as it stands, but I'm happy to wait and see whatever happens. Either way, passengers on the 5 are benefiting from improved vehicles! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I think there is some rubbish getting typed, I cannot see the point of why people make things up. The 5 is going no where.
(01/10/2012 05:33)citaro5284 Wrote:  I think there is some rubbish getting typed, I cannot see the point of why people make things up. The 5 is going no where.

I don't see why it would go. There isn't really that much of a difference in distance between Jarrow and Percy Main and Jarrow and Saltmeadows in the first place.
8244 has been branded for 'South Tyne' 5.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bazza90/804.../lightbox/
Photo by: Bazza90
Cadet 8266 is now allover white. most likely awaiting branding for S1.
Cobalt clipper Volvo b10BLE/ renown is on the 17 this morning. Most likely to see if B10BLE's can handle the route when Percy main receive more of the former blaydon ones!!!
(03/10/2012 07:00)Wellsey18 Wrote:  Cobalt clipper Volvo b10BLE/ renown is on the 17 this morning. Most likely to see if B10BLE's can handle the route when Percy main receive more of the former blaydon ones!!!

It is nearly every day, along with a purple scania!

Smile Thanks,
Thomas, Tyne and Wear Reporter Smile

Visit my photostream here
(Updated often)

Was SPD17
A rare sight of a de-branded red arrows citaro 5279, on the TEN 10 service to Rockwood Hill. NK07KPO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77966117@N03/8051290707/
Looks like GNE are to take on the East Durham Branded services in East Durham area commercially from 28th October 2012:

quoted from Peterlee Star:

New bus services

Published on Thursday 4 October 2012 11:57

COUNCIL bosses have awarded bus contracts worth £3.3m that will see new services.

Durham County Council has completed the process of re-tendering for subsidised services in the south, centre and east of the county.

About 80 per cent of contracts have now been re-tendered, with 15 per cent awarded to Arriva, 13 per cent to Go North East and 73 per cent to smaller operators.

Bus company Arriva North East say the changes will see some new routes launched to provide direct links from Trimdon Village, Trimdon Grange, Trimdon Colliery and Deaf Hill.

It is also planning to improve the frequency on a number of commercial routes, including services between Peterlee, Durham and Hartlepool.

Go North East said it will be operating most of the services around Peterlee on a commercial basis, saving the county council about £200,000 a year.

The contracts cover services that would otherwise not operate because they are not economically viable for operators, but which provide vital services for rural and smaller communities.

This includes wholly subsidised daytime services, contracts which extend the operational hours, days or route of commercial services and those that provide a single additional journey on a specific route.

Coun Neil Foster, the council’s cabinet member for economic regeneration, said: “Despite a wide variation in the tender prices, we have been able to ensure the overall cost is in line with last year.”

Tom Dodds, stakeholder manager at Go North East, the region’s largest bus company, said from October 28, Go North East will be operating most of the Monday to Friday daytime East Durham services around Peterlee on a commercial basis, saving the county council about £200,000 a year.

The firm has also won a new contract for the evening service 239 between Easington Village, Peterlee and Sedgefield.

Nick Knox, area managing director for Arriva North-East, said: “We have not been successful in some of the tenders we submitted.

“However, as part of the revised arrangements, we will be introducing some new routes, including a service which will provide direct links from Trimdon Village, Trimdon Grange, Trimdon Colliery and Deaf Hill.

“At the same time, we will be improving frequency on a number of commercial routes, including a service between West Auckland and Durham, service 43 between Esh Winning and Durham, services between Peterlee, Durham and Hartlepool, and between Coxhoe, Bowburn and Durham.”

A report on the re-tendering process will be presented to the council’s cabinet when they meet at County Hall on Wednesday, October 10.

maybe GNE didnt want Arriva to take some of the secured services from there GNE East Durham brand, probably timetable changes for the 200 series in the near future.
5151 is currently at Percy Main, operating on the 327 today.

Smile Thanks,
Thomas, Tyne and Wear Reporter Smile

Visit my photostream here
(Updated often)

Was SPD17

User(s) browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)