Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Greater Manchester Tenders - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Greater Manchester Tenders (/showthread.php?tid=127)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Greater Manchester Tenders - jimbo - 11/12/2013 08:59

I know, I know that MCT and Stotts both put a bid in and both would have used newer buses... but hey ho, only a 1 year contract

RE: Greater Manchester Tenders - Mayneway - 11/12/2013 10:06

Don't forget though it comes down to the price. If First feel they can operate the tenders with elderly Solos for another 11 months at a low price then TfGM will always go for that option as its tax payers money that's being spent/saved.

RE: Greater Manchester Tenders - jimbo - 11/12/2013 10:45

There are other factors too, but personally you see so many journeys dropped on oldham tenders due to breakdowns and late running, fact is another operator could probably do a better job

RE: Greater Manchester Tenders - P528LND - 11/12/2013 18:56

(11/12/2013 10:45)jimbo Wrote:  There are other factors too, but personally you see so many journeys dropped on oldham tenders due to breakdowns and late running, fact is another operator could probably do a better job

Do you remember the scenario with First regaining them in the first place? Bluebird (and bearing in mind this was when they were a renowned good company with an excellent fleet) couldn't sustain a decent service due to breakdowns and First were redrafted in to operate it as an emergency replacement operator due to the ridiculous amount of breakdowns from Bluebird.

Besides that, no other operator would be able to sustain a service with such quick replacement should things actually go wrong. Regardless of whether First have a monopoly or not in the area, it is in the best interests of passengers and the taxpayer that costs are kept cheap, and the service, if disrupted, can be reinstated quickly and reliably due to Firsts Oldham depot being slap bang in the town centre, other operators being massively further out apart from Stotts. This is something Stagecoach, JPT and unfortunately even Stotts wouldn't be able to keep up, because may I mention that Stotts' fleet of Solos isn't that substantial and if they were to gain the contracts and should something go wrong more than once or twice, they would probably not be able to cover.

I agree it is in the best interests to keep the service with First, and not just because of the reliability and cost issues to the tax-payer, but the convenience of passengers. After all forking out £4 is better than near £6.00 if you need to use these contracts as well as connecting commercial routes.

RE: Greater Manchester Tenders - Mayneway - 11/12/2013 19:49

I don't see why age is such a factor anyway if the buses are low floor.
TFGM has an age limit in place for tenders so as long as the vehicles used are within the limit then it's not really an issue.
It's interesting that Liam mentions Bluebird and new vehicles. I can say that in the last few weeks Stagecoach have had no less than 3 breakdowns on evening 236's which are TFGM tenders and its taken them up to half an hour to send a replacement bus out and thier using practically new Enviro200's!

JPT seem to have the attitude to just drop a service if they suffer a breakdown.
I know when Stotts won the Glossop tenders there was a lot of critisum with people saying they wouldn't be able to recover a service if there was a breakdown but to be fair I've only ever seen this happen once and a replacement bus was up in Glossop within 15 minutes.
Stotts also have an alliance with Mistral and in the past have picked up emergency tenders with no more than a days notice and had vehicles available to run them so I don't think their small number of Solos putting them off going for tenders.

RE: Greater Manchester Tenders - Polo Mint - 11/12/2013 21:29

From a passenger point of view First having the contract may be beneficial, as it allows connections to other First buses, compared to the significantly expensive and less advertised System One.

Also there may also be chance of a Maytree situation happening with a smaller company.

RE: Greater Manchester Tenders - SF07 - 11/12/2013 21:52

Looking at the tender list, anyone know who Telecars are? They're listed as winning the 538 (assuming the evening/Sunday circular service).

RE: Greater Manchester Tenders - Mayneway - 11/12/2013 22:40

(11/12/2013 21:52)SF07 Wrote:  Looking at the tender list, anyone know who Telecars are? They're listed as winning the 538 (assuming the evening/Sunday circular service).

It will be a local taxi company.

RE: Greater Manchester Tenders - Polo Mint - 12/12/2013 21:11

A taxi service in the back of a Toyota Corrola then?

RE: Greater Manchester Tenders - jimbo - 12/12/2013 21:22

Nah they will be using a bus or a plaxton minibus with desti boards and a restricted licence kr summet...