Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Northern Rail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A lot of diesels out this morning. The 0716 LIV - MIA was a 142 and left a lot of people behind at SHJ.
I have been on that particular service when it was a 156 and that was packed then , so a 142 which is smaller still must have been a sardine can. The problem with that service it is ideal for the commuters of Manchester as well as passenger with middle of the day flights at Manchester Airport.
Article on the echo website appears to be the reason for services being shot formed this morning. Hope the driver makes a full recovery... Click here for the article
156455 on 0731 Wigan North Western - Liverpool this morning.
The lack of 319's beginning to bite as the 1631 Liverpool - Wigan North Western is cancelled.
I imagine the set or sets were involved were not allowed to enter service so diesels will have had to be sourced from elsewhere (Newton Heath) or by short forming services. I don't think trains stay in the same area all day. I know for example there is one diagram that starts at allerton and is on the southport line in the afternoon.
The Wigan - Liverpool service is normally operated by Class 319's , there outbased at various locations on the electric network but there depot is Allerton where this incident happened .

Depending on other unrelated problems with the units they maybe considerably down on units needing diesel services to take up the strain , if diesels are used some other services elsewhere are either going to be cancelled or shortformed .

The 319's are four coach sets so a replacement with any diesel unit could be classed as short formed unless they are running in multiple why may incur a PTE financial penalty.
(01/03/2016 22:23)jtd508110 Wrote: [ -> ]Article on the echo website appears to be the reason for services being shot formed this morning. Hope the driver makes a full recovery... Click here for the article

Best wishes to the driver. I actually saw a thread relating to this incident on another forum and assumed he had died as it said he had been 'electrocuted'. Thankfully, as the article says, it was merely a shock and it sounds like he should be OK.
Short forming means the service will have less coaches than it is supposed to have, so instead of being 4 coaches it will be 2, for example.

As a result of the incident at Allerton, there were three less class 319's in service than there would normally be, so their diagrams would be covered by a DMU. As there is very little spare, that DMU will have been found by borrowing a DMU from a diagram operated by two units.

This also causes other issues such as making sure the DMU gets to a fuel point at some stage, as an EMU doesn't need to.

Allerton is also home to the North West's class 156 fleet, which operate far and wide, so an incident at Allerton could have repercussions as far away as Carlisle for instance.

SD.
(03/03/2016 00:03)Sprinterdriver Wrote: [ -> ]Short forming means the service will have less coaches than it is supposed to have, so instead of being 4 coaches it will be 2, for example.

As a result of the incident at Allerton, there were three less class 319's in service than there would normally be, so their diagrams would be covered by a DMU. As there is very little spare, that DMU will have been found by borrowing a DMU from a diagram operated by two units.

This also causes other issues such as making sure the DMU gets to a fuel point at some stage, as an EMU doesn't need to.

Allerton is also home to the North West's class 156 fleet, which operate far and wide, so an incident at Allerton could have repercussions as far away as Carlisle for instance.

SD.

Spot on SD.
As we both know Tuesday last week Allertons 156472 on the Cumbrian Coast substituting for a loco hauled set whilst Heatons 156469 and 156480 were on TPE duties.
Reference URL's