Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Warrington's Own Buses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Competition is always good for the passenger , but i still debate that they dont compete directly with WOB and only along sections of the routes where they have no option to go along to get to warrington.
I would agree if arriva had more services serving more of there profitable routes going to Orford or Stockton heath direction etc but they have to get to warrington some how and unfortunately these are the corridors they have to come down and dont come off them to serve the areas in which WOB serve.
People could argue is it because they have an ex arriva manager now at WOB as there assistant ops director that knows money can be made by expanding out into surrounding areas of warrington.
Would a park & ride service works in warrington?

I've have been long thinking about that
(23/04/2019 01:41)TheShire Wrote: [ -> ]Would a park & ride service works in warrington?

Warrington is exactly the sort of town that would benefit from a decent P&R service. I've also thought over the years that the same comment applies to St.Helens.
(23/04/2019 01:41)TheShire Wrote: [ -> ]Would a park & ride service works in warrington?

(23/04/2019 06:53)EDB325 Wrote: [ -> ]Warrington is exactly the sort of town that would benefit from a decent P&R service. I've also thought over the years that the same comment applies to St.Helens.
Where would you put a Park and Ride though? All the traffic trickles in from all the arteries and then clogs up in the centre. Plus I think a lot of the traffic in Warrington actually travels 'through' the centre and isn't nesecerilly people travelling to Warrington Town if that makes sense. IE those avoiding the toll bridge.

I think if you wanted the best chances for people using it, you would be looking at Winwick Road but then is that too close. Once people have got that far, they might as well carry on for the sake of 10-15 minutes. It won't save any time.
I think Park & Ride would work in Warrington but not in St Helens, as St Helens is now unfortunately fairly run down.

Problem with one in Warrington would be finding and judging the right size of vehicle to operate it and the the right location for car parks, given that there is no history of Park & Ride operation and therefore no figures of likely usage. Placing a bus onto it would be a guessing game as to whether the size was right.
This is all hypothetical but would where the car park or nearby for the B&Q in Winwick be an idea. It'd certainly be ideally placed for the M62 and perhaps help cut a lot of the peak time gridlock around there? IKEA Gemini/Wesrbrook and Birchwood could be other ideas too.

Big IF something like this got beyond the idea stage would it be a standalone service or a revised version of current services? Cambridge/Oxford/Doncaster P&R's are a mix of this or existing services but most others tend to be dedicated services.

This could work in Warrington but I think it's 20 years too late and sadly a lot of the funding for such schemes are next to non existant these days.

At least Warrington is giving some new routes and ideas a go hopefully they'll work for them.
(23/04/2019 13:03)Gillmoss 0324 Wrote: [ -> ]This is all hypothetical but would where the car park or nearby for the B&Q in Winwick be an idea. It'd certainly be ideally placed for the M62 and perhaps help cut a lot of the peak time gridlock around there? IKEA Gemini/Wesrbrook and Birchwood could be other ideas too.

Big IF something like this got beyond the idea stage would it be a standalone service or a revised version of current services? Cambridge/Oxford/Doncaster P&R's are a mix of this or existing services but most others tend to be dedicated services.

This could work in Warrington but I think it's 20 years too late and sadly a lot of the funding for such schemes are next to non existant these days.

At least Warrington is giving some new routes and ideas a go hopefully they'll work for them.

Sorry but Warrington as a shopping centre is like a lot of others it's going down most people are heading for the retail parks
(23/04/2019 15:57)trixmax2000 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry but Warrington as a shopping centre is like a lot of others it's going down most people are heading for the retail parks

I think the amount of people coming into Warringtons Golden Square by bus may suggest otherwise...
The Christmas Park and Ride services 001 and 002 stopped running a number of years ago because they were hardly used unfortunately.
If I remember correctly, one of the car parks used was on Winwick Road and the other was on Wilderspool Causeway.

Regarding the new 62, it seems it does interwork with Priestley College routes and so is operated by the Priestley branded buses.
(23/04/2019 07:32)iMarkeh Wrote: [ -> ]Where would you put a Park and Ride though? All the traffic trickles in from all the arteries and then clogs up in the centre. Plus I think a lot of the traffic in Warrington actually travels 'through' the centre and isn't nesecerilly people travelling to Warrington Town if that makes sense. IE those avoiding the toll bridge.

I think if you wanted the best chances for people using it, you would be looking at Winwick Road but then is that too close. Once people have got that far, they might as well carry on for the sake of 10-15 minutes. It won't save any time.

I had some time to do this, Those red circle are service stations/daresbury park
Reference URL's