Current time: 25/04/2024, 05:51 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Metrolink
RE: Metrolink
(15/06/2012 20:02)bolton bus basher Wrote:  will nip over to vic then what trams go from pic to vic?

This is the Bury service. It is mainly T68 but I estimate around 1/3 are M5000s.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
i did end up going to oldham by tram and since i had never been there i followed the paper signs metrolink had put up to direct passengers to the town centre and some little toss pot had turned one of the arrows and a few of us walked right onto a building site...

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
looking at wiki there is plans for a manchester-bolton line and manchester-wigan line

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Went on the Metrolink Oldham line on the first day on Wednesday, was a good ride, certainly smoother than in the Northern Rail days. Will be better in a couple of years time when the tram line moves into the town centre.

It would be great if they could extend the Metrolink to more places. I know that the old line from Radcliffe to Bolton had been mentioned as an idea as well as tram-trains. I'm not sure what the feeling with Wiganers are regarding the Metrolink but from what I've read, I think they'd prefer that or tram-trains rather than the guided busway.

It'll be interesting to see how tram-trains will work in GM. TfGM do seem interested in it, as they said they'll be watching the tram-trains when introduced in South Yorkshire.

Don't know if anyone has seen there, but a few years ago somebody has made a mock-up Metrolink map of a fantasy Metrolink network in 2030. Obviously, slightly out of date, as The Lowry is now MediaCityUK and G-Mex is Deansgate-Castlefield.

http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Reviews/...202030.gif
I know some people in Leigh would prefer rail rather than the guided busway. There are proposals for an alternative in the form of a parkway station at Pennington on St Helens Road just after the Lowton St Mary's By Pass.
Well it's been announced that all the T68 vehicles will be retired over the next 2 years. It's a shame really, I find them a lot comfier. The M5000's tend to wobble a hell of a lot from the front, however they're very smooth at the back... almost too smooth.

Also has anyone else noticed that the M5000's have different speed limits to the T68's on the Bury line and potentially others? I say potentially whilst pointing in the direction of the Altrincham/Chorlton Line, since they are the only two I haven't travelled on yet.

Thanks,
Liam Moskwin.

[Image: 10p9e80.gif]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/transportandtreasures/
Here is another story on the tram repalcement order announced today;

New Trams for Metrolink
(17/07/2012 14:03)DVL418 Wrote:  Here is another story on the tram repalcement order announced today;

New Trams for Metrolink

It seems a bit soon to replace the T68s that were purchased in 2000 for the Eccles extension. Mind you, keeping them would be expensive in terms of maintaining a small fleet of by then non-standard trams.
not sure if its been reported but tram tests taking place on oldham to rochdale tram line

The following is confirmed in (TRAMWAYS AND URBAN TRANSIT, LRTA) (SEPTEMBER 2012 897)

Manchesters last big bang to begin in 2015 as follows:-

Metrolink to be extended to the Trafford Centre
Tram Trains to be used on Manchester - Atherton - Wigan/Manchester - Marple - Glossop and/ Manchester - Altrincham - Northwich using existing Metrolink lines between Manchester and Altrincham
Didsbury to Hazel Grove, proposed as well as an Altrincham - Stockport line also using Tram-Trains.

All of the T68 Fleet of trams will be withdrawn bvy 2014 following an order for a further 20 M500 trams at that stage the fleet will consist entirely of 94 M5000 Trams till Tram trains are delivered post 2015. The schemes will have a total cost of £1.5billion.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)