Current time: 07/05/2024, 16:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva's Impending North Liverpool Changes
Arriva's Impending North Liverpool Changes
Several members have recently posted comments on Arriva's changes to its north Liverpool operation and I thought it would be worthwhile to create a new thread for this topic. I have already posted my own views on the withdrawal of the 53A by both Arriva and Stagecoach and the replacement new Arriva 63 service in other threads. In short, I think that it is a very retrograde step and will not benefit bus users. Check out the timetables and you will see what I mean.

I know it's a very local issue but I would be interested to hear the views of other members
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Arriva's Impending North Liverpoool Changes
The 63 has been introduced to replace both the 62 Bootle-Crosby then the 53A Crosby-Netherton. This is because of the chronic reliability of the 62 which along with 61 is one of the most complained about services. The 53A has been cut too because it has also suffered many reliability issues.
The extension to Fazakerley is being provide too because people have used the 62 between Crosby/Bootle to get to Fazakerley Hospital for years, and this link has been broken as a result, so rather then have people get the 63 to Bootle then wait to get 62, it was extended the other way to maintain the link its nothing to do with having a go at HTL or Avon merely to maintain links across north Liverpool. If they really wanted to have a go at Avon on the 122 they would have run it more frequent, and the 122 has been running over the 53A happily for the last few years with the 53A more frequent. So this proves they arent interested in going against Avon as they have actually reduced their frequency from every 20 to half hourly. Simply they have killed 2 buirds with one stone, cut the 62 to improve that, cut the 53 to improve that, and replaced it with the 63. The same reason as the 61A was rid of those years ago as its reliability was absolutely chronic by the time it had come from Aigburth through Allerton Old Swan the black bull then up through Netherton crossed Queens Drive about 5 times round the blocks to Bootle. Admittedly the 59 choice wasnt the best number but that was the reasoning behind it.
I don't understand why this needed a topic on its own and a basic repeat?

View my flickr http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/104753198@N08/ my flickr account.
It was a better idea because the explanation was on a thread which was talking about Christmas , how this subject came to be on that thread is beyond me , but sometimes things go well off thread.
(09/01/2015 20:21)mr t Wrote:  The 63 has been introduced to replace both the 62 Bootle-Crosby then the 53A Crosby-Netherton. This is because of the chronic reliability of the 62 which along with 61 is one of the most complained about services. The 53A has been cut too because it has also suffered many reliability issues.
The extension to Fazakerley is being provide too because people have used the 62 between Crosby/Bootle to get to Fazakerley Hospital for years, and this link has been broken as a result, so rather then have people get the 63 to Bootle then wait to get 62, it was extended the other way to maintain the link its nothing to do with having a go at HTL or Avon merely to maintain links across north Liverpool. If they really wanted to have a go at Avon on the 122 they would have run it more frequent, and the 122 has been running over the 53A happily for the last few years with the 53A more frequent. So this proves they arent interested in going against Avon as they have actually reduced their frequency from every 20 to half hourly. Simply they have killed 2 buirds with one stone, cut the 62 to improve that, cut the 53 to improve that, and replaced it with the 63. The same reason as the 61A was rid of those years ago as its reliability was absolutely chronic by the time it had come from Aigburth through Allerton Old Swan the black bull then up through Netherton crossed Queens Drive about 5 times round the blocks to Bootle. Admittedly the 59 choice wasnt the best number but that was the reasoning behind it.

Arriva have absolutely no idea about the wider links forged by the 62. Quite simply, it linked communities between the north and south of Liverpool that otherwise would have no access to each other.

History lesson - MPTE extended the old 92 between Crosby and Huyton back in November 1974, extending it to Halewood in 1980. At dereg, the 92 was split at Fazakerley taking on the old 99 route to Penny Lane. And, bar Arriva's renumbering exercise to 62 when they integrated MTL in 2000, this service has been running ever since regardless of the supposed "reliabilty issues".

If they're that bad, how come it's taken Arriva 15 years to do something about it???

The simple fact of these revisions is it's another nail in the coffin for Crosby's bus services - using fewer vehicles on reduced frequencies trying to cover every major corridor. It's the long-drawn out drama with the 91/51 all those years ago all over again. You mark my words - this is another underhand and sneaky decision on Arriva's part to pull these links off the road completely given time. And there is a genuine threat to the 122 now, regardless what you think.

Arriva have absolutely no social responsibility to the travelling public, and are accountable to no one but their shareholders at DB. The sooner the PTEs call the shots again over bus services the better.

The Beatles, Fountains Of Wayne, XTC, The Who, ELO

Power Pop For All
[font=Impact][/font]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(12/01/2015 23:46)teenagewasteland Wrote:  Arriva have absolutely no idea about the wider links forged by the 62. Quite simply, it linked communities between the north and south of Liverpool that otherwise would have no access to each other.

History lesson - MPTE extended the old 92 between Crosby and Huyton back in November 1974, extending it to Halewood in 1980. At dereg, the 92 was split at Fazakerley taking on the old 99 route to Penny Lane. And, bar Arriva's renumbering exercise to 62 when they integrated MTL in 2000, this service has been running ever since regardless of the supposed "reliabilty issues".

If they're that bad, how come it's taken Arriva 15 years to do something about it???

The simple fact of these revisions is it's another nail in the coffin for Crosby's bus services - using fewer vehicles on reduced frequencies trying to cover every major corridor. It's the long-drawn out drama with the 91/51 all those years ago all over again. You mark my words - this is another underhand and sneaky decision on Arriva's part to pull these links off the road completely given time. And there is a genuine threat to the 122 now, regardless what you think.

Arriva have absolutely no social responsibility to the travelling public, and are accountable to no one but their shareholders at DB. The sooner the PTEs call the shots again over bus services the better.

Spot on, Mr Wasteland, I totally agree with your views.

Today, the second day of operation, double-deckers are being used to cope with passenger demand, at the expense of the 56 I might add. Obviously Arriva were surprised by the impact of reducing the frequency along this corridor at peak times and will no doubt resort to props from the Harry Potter franchise when Stagecoach withdraws its 53A later this month.

I also noticed that the 63 is timetabled to run three minutes ahead of Avon's 122 during the day and the Merseytravel 130 in the evenings and Sundays, creating a 27-minute gap in service. Clearly this is an attempt to squeeze out competitors and establish a monopoly of bus services in the area on Arriva's terms.
Last night I overheard commuters alighting at Waterloo Station discussing loss of 53A through service to Thornton. One just couldn't believe the service was permanently withdrawn and thought that the buses must have just been off for the day due to problems!! Such is the nonsensical decision behind these changes.

What it made me ponder was that Arriva have severed the rail connection to central Liverpool provided by 53A at both Aintree and Waterloo. Maybe the service was too good and they were loosing revenue to Merseytravel's multi-modal tickets. Make the connection difficult/impossible/unreliable and passengers have to make the entire journey to and from Liverpool by bus, thus purchasing Arriva's own day and weekly tickets instead. Result bigger revenue shares, for Arriva.

A feature of many service changes and re-routings since deregulation has been the distancing of many bus stops from railway stations.

Waterloo once had a substantial bus interchange with several routes throughout Crosby, now its just the 53 as far as Crosby Village.
(13/01/2015 08:40)Barney Wrote:  I also noticed that the 63 is timetabled to run three minutes ahead of Avon's 122 during the day and the Merseytravel 130 in the evenings and Sundays, creating a 27-minute gap in service. Clearly this is an attempt to squeeze out competitors and establish a monopoly of bus services in the area on Arriva's terms.

You'll also notice it's timed to edge ahead of HTL's 159-FAZAKERLEY HOSPITAL at Bootle Strand, and -talking about Bootle Strand- it doesn't use the nearby Merseytravel Bootle Bus Station, thereby avoiding bus station charges!

Call it what you will, but it's a cleverly thought-out route with carefully-engineered timings.

Just a shame Arriva charge £2.20 for a single journey.
With the recent dramatic fall in the price of crude oil, surely it's time for a price cut.
(14/01/2015 15:28)mathias Wrote:  You'll also notice it's timed to edge ahead of HTL's 159-FAZAKERLEY HOSPITAL at Bootle Strand, and -talking about Bootle Strand- it doesn't use the nearby Merseytravel Bootle Bus Station, thereby avoiding bus station charges!

Call it what you will, but it's a cleverly thought-out route with carefully-engineered timings.

Just a shame Arriva charge £2.20 for a single journey.
With the recent dramatic fall in the price of crude oil, surely it's time for a price cut.
crude oil price may of dropped but big operators agree deals and pay well in advance for there fuel.
Let's hope there's a big price drop in six months' time then!Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)