Current time: 28/03/2024, 12:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Taxis
RE: Taxis
Can anyone offer any insight as to why private hire taxis seem to be disproportionately registered down south? I've noticed that several of the geographical prefices - especially G, but also to some extent R, W, O and E - seem to show up noticeably more often on PHVs than on private cars, and I couldn't think of any obvious reason why the distribution should be any different.

On the hackney side, another new marque has made its debut, the Vauxhall Vivaro. This is of course essentially the same vehicle as the Renault Trafic, which was already represented; however the Vauxhall, being 65- 67-registered, is of the newer generation than the Renaults (or at least than six of them, I'm not certain about the 15-reg).

Fords continue to gain popularity, with 34 Tourneos now licensed; the Mercedes Vito and Peugeot Expert are at 90 and 151 examples respectively. Only one Metrocab now remains, the white N-reg. Both FX4s are still going strong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(06/08/2018 20:20)Quackdave Wrote:  On the hackney side, another new marque has made its debut, the Vauxhall Vivaro. This is of course essentially the same vehicle as the Renault Trafic, which was already represented; however the Vauxhall, being 65-registered, is of the newer generation than the Renaults (or at least than six of them, I'm not certain about the 15-reg).

The 15-reg Renault Trafic will be the same generation as the Vauxhall. IIRC it was launched when 64-reg was being issued
Find all posts by this user
(06/08/2018 20:43)Y474 KNF Wrote:  The 15-reg Renault Trafic will be the same generation as the Vauxhall. IIRC it was launched when 64-reg was being issued

I think you're right about when the new one was launched; but I also thought that, having seen it, I would be surprised that I hadn't noticed if it was a different shape than the others. Also, DVLA shows it as having the 2-litre diesel engine, whereas it looks as though the 1.6 is the only engine size available in the 3rd generation. Therefore, I wonder if it may have been a late-registered 2nd generation vehicle that had lingered in dealer stock.

I seem to recall that it frequents ASDA Utting Avenue (or at least used to), so if I get chance I'll see if I can spot it to confirm!

Incidentally, I was wrong about the Vauxhall; it's actually 67-reg (not 65).
Excellent news is the appearance on the Hackney Carriage Register of the first modern electric taxi, LT68 PFX (plate no. 977), a LEVC TX. I haven't seen it yet, but will be looking out for it.
(07/08/2018 19:36)Quackdave Wrote:  [re 15-reg Renault Trafic taxi...]
DVLA shows it as having the 2-litre diesel engine, whereas it looks as though the 1.6 is the only engine size available in the 3rd generation. Therefore, I wonder if it may have been a late-registered 2nd generation vehicle that had lingered in dealer stock.

In case anyone was curious, I have now seen DK15 BWM again and confirm that it is indeed of the older generation i.e. the same shape as the 14-reg.

There are now three 68-registered LEVC electric taxis registered (though LCC's online register incorrectly shows one of them as 58-reg). I've spotted one out and about, but have yet to manage a ride.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)