Current time: 29/03/2024, 15:54 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Manchester Airport Buses
RE: Manchester Airport Buses
I know it's easy to clean but the point of sticking out your window every 20 mins to clean them in bad rain or dirty roads would be a pain in the back side.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
An electrical fault with a single system is no where near as common as a wingmirror being damaged, knocked off or failing (parts do fail even on a metal mirror arm). Wiring for internal CCTV, and even external CCTV rarely fails so being the same system, reliability won't be reduced, the question is how they cope in dark fog or rain. Considering how many of long mirror arms get knocked off its going to make an improvement to cost and lost mileage.
(06/02/2020 23:57)Solo40336 Wrote:  An electrical fault with a single system is no where near as common as a wingmirror being damaged, knocked off or failing (parts do fail even on a metal mirror arm). Wiring for internal CCTV, and even external CCTV rarely fails so being the same system, reliability won't be reduced, the question is how they cope in dark fog or rain. Considering how many of long mirror arms get knocked off its going to make an improvement to cost and lost mileage.

The company I work for have in excess of 20 Optares with reverse camera’s fitted. The majority now don’t work due to internal wiring faults or the actual units have failed and have been replaced.
If there anything like our reverse camera’s, in the dark they will be great in a well lit area but in a dark location the image will be extremely grainy and patchy. They may have inferred night vision type technology fitted but again the footage through them isn’t the best.
Maybe going off topic here but I've been on a number of double deckers in the past and recently whereby the interior monitor/s showing the upstairs cameras has been blank so obviously a cable fault somewhere.
The usual fault with internal cameras tend to be the hard driver rather than a power feed, while the wiring for reverse cameras tend to be over "high impact" areas above the engine with excessive heat and vibrations ending up getting to them. "wingmirror cameras" wiring is completely protected internally, runs a relatively short distance and made up of light weight wire, the chances of failure compared to the other hundreds of systems that run exposed to the road/heat are Slim, and they don't fail all that often. Having worked for a company with hundreds of buses with "flank cams" fitted, effectively the same as the cameras we are discussing but operated by a switch while retaining normal mirror arms, I can't say I every saw one fail.
For a manufacture to make this change to a design that's been going since since the first motor buses, there must be a need for it. Cameras and screens will cost a lot more than a single mirror arm/head individually so there is a case that bus companies are spending excessive amounts on mirrors.
(07/02/2020 09:12)Solo40336 Wrote:  The usual fault with internal cameras tend to be the hard driver rather than a power feed, while the wiring for reverse cameras tend to be over "high impact" areas above the engine with excessive heat and vibrations ending up getting to them. "wingmirror cameras" wiring is completely protected internally, runs a relatively short distance and made up of light weight wire, the chances of failure compared to the other hundreds of systems that run exposed to the road/heat are Slim, and they don't fail all that often. Having worked for a company with hundreds of buses with "flank cams" fitted, effectively the same as the cameras we are discussing but operated by a switch while retaining normal mirror arms, I can't say I every saw one fail.
For a manufacture to make this change to a design that's been going since since the first motor buses, there must be a need for it. Cameras and screens will cost a lot more than a single mirror arm/head individually so there is a case that bus companies are spending excessive amounts on mirrors.

I think it will be a case of time will tell.
A clear out of vehicles is currently underway thanks to the significant drop in the PVR. All of the remaining late model Enviro200's are being returned to their leasing company (YX18KYB/C/E), older Enviro200's SN12EHX/Y are being sold, and all of the Hybrid Optare Versa's are now withdrawn, likely to be sold for spares or scrap.

Several airside based 8.9m Enviro200's will also go, alongside 15 of the older Cobus vehicles. In total around 30 buses are due to leave the fleet.
(26/12/2020 23:12)James Frisby Wrote:  A clear out of vehicles is currently underway thanks to the significant drop in the PVR. All of the remaining late model Enviro200's are being returned to their leasing company (YX18KYB/C/E), older Enviro200's SN12EHX/Y are being sold, and all of the Hybrid Optare Versa's are now withdrawn, likely to be sold for spares or scrap.

Several airside based 8.9m Enviro200's will also go, alongside 15 of the older Cobus vehicles. In total around 30 buses are due to leave the fleet.

Is YY17GPU (Ex-HTL Buses) with Manchester Airport again? or is it's current location unknown?
(26/12/2020 23:27)NathanR Wrote:  Is YY17GPU (Ex-HTL Buses) with Manchester Airport again? or is it's current location unknown?

No, it's not at the airport, we returned it to the leasing company a long time ago.
You would think Manchester Airport would look at Battery buses.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)