Current time: 26/04/2024, 08:36 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Edinburgh Trams
Edinburgh Trams
hello all just got back from edinburgh the trams look great but there still building the line but i think the only have to do a little bit more work to some parts but edinburgh airport is done all the work is all done i think looks very smart the tram sheds are by the gyle shopping centre
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: edinburgh trams
I saw the tram depot from the Airlink bus 100 last May. As I am going to Glasgow during the Commonwealth Games next summer, I hope the Edinburgh tram network opens by then. The opening is due next summer anyway.
(17/02/2013 20:04)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I saw the tram depot from the Airlink bus 100 last May. As I am going to Glasgow during the Commonwealth Games next summer, I hope the Edinburgh tram network opens by then. The opening is due next summer anyway.
yes i hope so we were staying at edinburgh park just by the train stn the have put some of the track in but the tram bridge thats still go to have the rails just a shame there not exstending it to leith now just a shame its not
(17/02/2013 18:32)a115hlv Wrote:  hello all just got back from Edinburgh the trams look great but there still building the line but i think the only have to do a little bit more work to some parts but Edinburgh airport is done all the work is all done i think looks very smart the tram sheds are by the Gyle shopping centre

Thanks for that. Do you know if they have completed the roadworks at Shandwick Place and the Haymarket yet? If so, that should be most of the roadworks done, apart from St Andrew Sq and York Place (by the bus Station)

Mal

Madder and white; probably the best livery in the world!
I've not kept up with roadworks etc having not been back since last May. However, some updates may appear here http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/a_to_z/service/940649/trams
(17/02/2013 20:04)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I saw the tram depot from the Airlink bus 100 last May. As I am going to Glasgow during the Commonwealth Games next summer, I hope the Edinburgh tram network opens by then. The opening is due next summer anyway.

The line between Edinburgh Airport and St Andrew Sq is due to open 'Summer 2014.' It's up to anyone to put their own definition of 'Summer' as to when they want that to be!
There is still talk that the line will be extended to the Foot of Leith Walk and Granton with the possibility of another line to the new Royal Edinburgh Infirmary at Little France on the Dalkeith Road, but I'll believe it when I actually travel there on the tram!

Mal (an ex native of Edinburgh!)

(17/02/2013 20:27)Mal Wrote:  The line between Edinburgh Airport and St Andrew Sq is due to open 'Summer 2014.' It's up to anyone to put their own definition of 'Summer' as to when they want that to be!
There is still talk that the line will be extended to the Foot of Leith Walk and Granton with the possibility of another line to the new Royal Edinburgh Infirmary at Little France on the Dalkeith Road, but I'll believe it when I actually travel there on the tram!

Mal (an ex native of Edinburgh!)

According to Modern Railways, the opening date is due to be announced in September. Everyone must hope that it can then be adhered to!
RE: Edinburgh Trams
Photos of Princes Street show that the overhead is up there and a recent post on a Scottish forum says that part of York Place is open. Unfortunately, Shandwick Place is still closed because of a problem with the concrete between the rails which will have to be dug up and replaced, but the rails are OK and can stay in place while that is being sorted.

Mal

York Place is now fully open to traffic and it is hoped that the last remaining set of tramworks between Shandwick Place and Haymarket will be finished some time in October and that tram testing will then commence on the full route soon after.
A revised starting date for passenger service is May 2014, but it is hoped that even this date can be brought forward.

Mal

Indeed, I am delighted at the idea of the Edinburgh tram route opening in time for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow next summer. Coupled with electric class 350/4s from Manchester to Scotland next May, I am already looking forward to a tour of the area then!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)