Current time: 23/04/2024, 19:02 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

McGills
RE: McGills
(27/08/2012 22:27)Metroline1511 Wrote:  McGills is effectively just Clydeside under a new name. So a bit pointless to expect any divestment here.

According to Buses, the ex-First London Citaro bendibuses are being used on route 38.

Erm no they are not!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(13/10/2012 23:23)DVL418 Wrote:  
(13/10/2012 08:53)Wright Eclipse Wrote:  20x Ex Stagecoach London Dennis Trident/Alexander ALX400 Are due here,purchased from ensignbus

Five went north in full McGill's livery last Friday, and another five yesterday.

Friday 26th Oct evening, passed 4 London 51 reg Alexander double decks in full McGill livery on M6 going north between Kendal and Tebay. Guess that must be another 4.
Saturday 17th Nov - a day trip to Lancaster, and whilst heading south in the morning we passed a tow truck with a red Stagecoach Alexander normal wheelbase Trident on tow going north between Kendal and Shap at about 10.15. I am guessing the red Trident was heading for McGills.
http://s1217.beta.photobucket.com/user/h...Mc%20Gills

theres a lot of photos in here of buses with mc gills in arriva livery including some step darts

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
I understand that part of the McColls operations plus a site in Dumbarton was taken over from 10th December 2012. Has anybody nay news on whats actually been taken over from McColls in terms of vehicles. The Private Hire, Contracts and School Contract fleet remains with McColls, its only the Stage Carriage fleet that has gone over, but the fleet is that mixed its hard to tell whats what?
(23/12/2012 16:22)gilesbus1 Wrote:  I understand that part of the McColls operations plus a site in Dumbarton was taken over from 10th December 2012. Has anybody nay news on whats actually been taken over from McColls in terms of vehicles. The Private Hire, Contracts and School Contract fleet remains with McColls, its only the Stage Carriage fleet that has gone over, but the fleet is that mixed its hard to tell whats what?

the Wright Crusaders & ALX200s are now with McGills,its mainly the Ex-London ALX200 Darts that see use.Mcgills also got a optare solo but its now onley good for the scrap yard
Not much posted on here in a while, the whole McColl's take over and subsequent closing of Dumbarton Depot has been missed!
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/passe...n.23100320

Quote:Passengers slam third bus fare rise

BUS passengers have been hit with their third fares hike in a year.

McGill's has introduced a 10% rise on all their weekly and monthly tickets including the company's Go!Zone range for adults, students and children.

The latest rises were introduced yesterday and triggered an angry backlash from several passengers.

One 35-year-old office executive who travels daily from Renfrew to Glasgow city centre said: "This is the third rise since last January which has seen the cost of my ticket increase from £45.50 to £55.

"The company is blaming a rise in operational costs but they haven't been spending the extra income on wages. Bus drivers tell me they haven't had a wage rise in two years.

It's beginning to look as if they are taking advantage of their monopoly which just isn't right."

Greenock-based McGill's took over its main rival Arriva Scotland West almost two years ago.

A spokeswoman said: "McGill's has endeavoured to keep price increases as low as possible. To illustrate, McGill's takeover of Ar riva happened in March, 2012, and it was only in September 2013 - more than 18 months later - that certain fares actually increased above those charged by Arriva."

She admitted this week's increase was the third rise in a year but insisted: "The reality is that McGill's maintained lower fares for its passengers.

"The suggestion that we are abusing our position when we are the only bus operator in some areas is simply untrue.

"McGill's passengers still have access to some of the cheapest bus fares in Scotland and our multi-journey tickets continue to offer excellent value for money.

"For less than £2 per day, passengers can make unlimited journeys across our entire Renfrewshire network when they buy a monthly Go!Zone1 ticket.

"A similar monthly Go!Zone5 ticket allows for unlimited travel between Gourock and Glasgow city centre for less than £3.40 per day.

"Students and children travel for even less."

Bus bosses blame the increases on rising labour and material costs and a cutback in government subsidies towards the cost of concessionary fares

But despite the need to generate extra income they say the firm will go-head with plans to carry out £3million of improvements to their fleet.
http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/...-from-axe/

Quote:Kilmacolm bus service saved from axe

Published: 14 Jan 2014 12:00
[Image: gt20130702p01_mcgi01_v01.jpg13896924611493019167.jpg]
TWO under threat bus services have been saved from the axe — but passengers have been warned to ‘use them or lose them.’

Greenock bus operators McGill’s have stepped in to cover the 317 Kilmacolm to Johnstone route which faced the axe on Friday if a solution was not found.

Bosses at Gillen’s Coaches had announced they were pulling the plug on the service because they were losing money on the unsubsidised route.

Ward councillor David Wilson, who also represents Inverclyde on the board of Strathclyde Partnership for Transport, had been campaigning to get the route which stops at Quarrier’s Village, subsidised.

SPT have now issued a £1,500 week contract and accepted a tender from McGill’s to step in.

The new X7A service will operate from today and will go back out to tender again in May for a longer period.

McGill’s are also taking over the 530 Greenock to Kilmacolm service which runs in the evenings and Sundays, after it had been withdrawn in November.

Councillor Wilson said: “This tender will run until 2 June and it is very good news.

“Both services will be run together, so two lots of bus services have been saved.

“McGill’s have stepped in because Gillen’s Coaches didn’t find the contract economic and did not tender for the ongoing service.”

“This is a vital rural link — I have had many constituents from Kilmacolm and Quarrier’s phoning me and emailing me about this.

“It was a close thing and we’re thankful for McGill’s for coming in.”

But he urged villagers to take advantage of the service, or run the risk of being left stranded in future.

He said: “I would encourage constituents to use it or lose it.”
http://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/johnst...xed-route/
Quote:Demands for bus firm to reinstate axed route
Published: 9 Jan 2014 17:00

ANGRY passengers have hit out at bus bosses who axed a vital route during peak hours.

For the past five decades, Johnstone residents have been able to hop on board the service which provides them with a direct link from Cochrane Castle and Johnstone Castle to Paisley and Glasgow.

However, bus bosses at McGills have claimed there are no longer enough people using the number 38, so changes are being made to cut down on costs.

The service will be withdrawn in February between 9am and 4pm — leaving local commuters in “misery” over the decision.

Bus user Rosemary McCLelland, of Johnstone, said: “I am very disappointed about this decision and I have already written to McGills to voice my views about this decision which will cause travel misery for many people. I use that service regularly to access services in Paisley and to shop in Glasgow.”

During a meeting of the Cochrane Castle Tenants and Resident Association on December 19, a senior manager from McGills made the shock announcement that they would be withdrawing the service.

Three local Labour councillors — Iain McMillan, John Caldwell and John Hood — were all at the meeting and have vowed to do all they can to ensure the well-established route continues.

Local Councillor John Hood — who also uses the bus service — said: “The community is very angry about this. The next day I organised a meeting involving council officials, fellow councillors and Hugh Henry MSP.

“We are gathering information and are demanding an early meeting with SPT and McGills themselves.”

Residents have said the removal of the service will not only affect elderly people and pram users in Johnstone, but also children coming home after attending Johnstone High school.

A spokeswoman for the bus firm, said that from February 10, 2014, McGill’s will instead introduce a new number six service, which will operate between Johnstone Castle, Cochrane Castle and the Morrisons supermarket in Johnstone town centre,

However Elizabeth Cosgrove, treasurer of Cochrane Castle Tenants and Residents Association, said the number six would provide no benefit to those travelling into Paisley or Glasgow.

She added: “They dropped a bombshell at our meeting telling us the services would be withdrawn. We had always been told there would be a number six that would run in Johnstone, however we thought this would be in addition to the number 38 — which we have now found out is not the case. The number six only goes through Johnstone, meaning that anyone hoping to travel to Glasgow or Paisley will have to get off and get another bus. It will also mean elderly people with appointments at the Southern General Hospital will have to get three or four buses there — it’s ridiculous.

“This decision is not satisfactory for the people of Johnstone at all.”

However bosses at McGills defended the changes, saying: “The decision was made based on low passenger numbers outwith the peak and also an examination of the journey patterns of those using the current 38 service off-peak. We have made a route change to its off-peak journeys only. Early morning and afternoon peak journeys Monday to Saturday, evenings journeys and Sunday journeys all remain the same. The amendment will ensure journeys between Johnstone High School and the Castle continue.”

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)