Current time: 28/03/2024, 09:35 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Celebrity Deaths
Celebrity Deaths
Coronation Street and Keeping up Appearances actor Geoffrey Hughes has died aged 68, his agent has said.

The actor, who was known to millions as Coronation Street binman Eddie Yates in the 1970s and 1980s, died "peacefully in his sleep" on Friday night.

It followed a "long courageous battle" with prostate cancer, his family said.

Hughes, who lived on the Isle of Wight, was also known for his roles as Twiggy in TV comedy The Royle Family and Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances.

He had thought he had beaten prostate cancer in 2009, but was told it had returned after collapsing at home in 2010.

Hughes first appeared in 1960s shows such as Z-Cars and The Likely Lads. He was the voice of Paul McCartney in the Beatles film The Yellow Submarine.

Other roles included Vernon in Heartbeat and Uncle Keith in teen drama Skins, guest-starring in episodes of Doctor Who, Casualty, Boon and The Upper Hand.

A Coronation Street spokeswoman said: "We are very sad to hear of the death of Geoffrey Hughes.

"He created a legendary and iconic character in Eddie Yates who will always be part of Coronation Street.

Everyone connected with the programme send our sincerest condolences to his family."

Coronation Street star William Roache, who plays Ken Barlow, said: "I am so sorry to hear about Geoffrey. He was a warm, lovable actor, with great comedy timing.

"He will be greatly missed, one of the Street's memorable characters."

Sally Lindsay, who played barmaid Shelley Unwin in Corrie, wrote on Twitter that her first TV job was playing Twiggy's girlfriend in The Royle Family, "and he was so kind RIP lovely man x".

Hughes was appointed Deputy Lord Lieutenant for the Isle of Wight in 2009, providing the official link between the island and royalty at formal events.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: celeb deaths
Geoffrey Hughes also appeared in one of the carry-on films, might have been Carry on at your Convenience but couldnt swear to it, I will add that he didnt say a whole lot in it.
Yeah i remember that as the union mans right hand man (bully boy).

He was also in Heartbeat for a short while after Greengrass actor Bill maynard had to leave the series due to ill health.
I remember him in Heartbeat, he always seemed to play a play a happy-go-lucky type of character in his roles.
I know one person who will be very upset tonight Jean Alexander who played Hilda Ogden in Coronation Street .

Hilda , Stan and Eddie worked will well together .
RE: Celebrity Deaths
RIP Geoffrey. Remember him from The Royle Family and Heartbeat in particular. A great bloke.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
A wonderful "Scouser" will be fondly missed

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
(28/07/2012 19:08)wirralbus Wrote:  Coronation Street and Keeping up Appearances actor Geoffrey Hughes has died aged 68, his agent has said.
That's sad to hear! I remember watching him in Keeping Up Appearances when I was younger. RIP, Geoffrey... Undecided

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Another sad loss in the past week is TV Antiques expert David Barby.
May not be a massive celebrity, but those who watched him in his numerous appearances in day time TV will know he was always a great personality and a very knowledgeable man indeed!
RIP to him and to 'Twiggy' as well, will always fondly remember him and his knock off goods in The Royle Family!
RIP Geoffrey and David. Remember watching them both on the TV. Heartbeat, The Royal Family and Bargain Hunt.

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)