Current time: 29/03/2024, 07:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greater Manchester Franchising
RE: Greater Manchester Franchising
When the first group of routes are put up for franchise what if there are no bidders? What happens then? Do the current operators carry on as normal or do TFGM have powers to run their own buses?

Works for me
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(26/03/2021 08:27)Rick Hunter Wrote:  When the first group of routes are put up for franchise what if there are no bidders? What happens then? Do the current operators carry on as normal or do TFGM have powers to run their own buses?

Good question though I suspect that there will be a lot of interest in the franchises offered, not least from outside of the UK. There are several foreign companies currently operating in London who, I suspect, will be very keen to get a toehold in Manchester.
(26/03/2021 09:43)Barney Wrote:  Good question though I suspect that there will be a lot of interest in the franchises offered, not least from outside of the UK. There are several foreign companies currently operating in London who, I suspect, will be very keen to get a toehold in Manchester.

I've thought from the day that franchising was first mooted that Comfort Delgro could be very interested in heading this way.
Franchising sort of works in London because of subsidies from the congestion charge which, without it would mean hugely increased fares. I am sure that motorists will be absolutely delighted to pay high congestion charges so that bus tickets can be cheaper. Think it’s a great idea for the ‘rich’ (NOT!!) motorists to subsidise ever decreasing bus passengers. Why not introduce charges in for office workers to subsidise pubs and bank workers to subsidise takeaways? There are all the controls that the Council needs to run them more effectively but the trouble is that all politicians are unable to run the proverbial booze up in a brewery but are extremely happy to waste taxpayers money and blame everyone else for their failings.
Just seems suspicious that abeilio have apparently applied for a northwest license and they have made TFGM aware of how they agree that franchising is the best thing.
So I'm guessing abeilio could be a new operator to come in bidding but got a feeling strikes could start happening if drivers staffs conditions and wages start to become affected due to companies bidding lower to win the franchise.
(26/03/2021 10:59)Rodney259 Wrote:  Franchising sort of works in London because of subsidies from the congestion charge which, without it would mean hugely increased fares. I am sure that motorists will be absolutely delighted to pay high congestion charges so that bus tickets can be cheaper. Think it’s a great idea for the ‘rich’ (NOT!!) motorists to subsidise ever decreasing bus passengers. Why not introduce charges in for office workers to subsidise pubs and bank workers to subsidise takeaways? There are all the controls that the Council needs to run them more effectively but the trouble is that all politicians are unable to run the proverbial booze up in a brewery but are extremely happy to waste taxpayers money and blame everyone else for their failings.

Rodney259, you seem to have presented quite a few of your opinions as facts.

It is true that the Congestion Charge in London goes some way to funding TfL. In 2008 a proposal to introduce a congestion charge in Manchester was rejected in a referendum with the main argument against it being that it would merely benefit private bus operators who were failing to provide the necessary services that would persuade commuters to ditch their cars.

Things have moved on since then with issues of exhaust pollution having come to the fore and I suspect that congestion charging in some form will be back on the table in the near future. My understanding is that some form of LEZ with heavy penalties for buses, vans and HGVs is soon to be introduced in Manchester.
(26/03/2021 10:59)Rodney259 Wrote:  Franchising sort of works in London because of subsidies from the congestion charge which, without it would mean hugely increased fares. I am sure that motorists will be absolutely delighted to pay high congestion charges so that bus tickets can be cheaper. Think it’s a great idea for the ‘rich’ (NOT!!) motorists to subsidise ever decreasing bus passengers. Why not introduce charges in for office workers to subsidise pubs and bank workers to subsidise takeaways? There are all the controls that the Council needs to run them more effectively but the trouble is that all politicians are unable to run the proverbial booze up in a brewery but are extremely happy to waste taxpayers money and blame everyone else for their failings.

Congestion charge will be introduced in Manchester you can garrentee that. They have been hell bent on charging motorists to enter the city centre since the last vote many years ago was a clear no!
(26/03/2021 11:33)motormayhem1 Wrote:  Just seems suspicious that abeilio have apparently applied for a northwest license and they have made TFGM aware of how they agree that franchising is the best thing.
So I'm guessing abeilio could be a new operator to come in bidding but got a feeling strikes could start happening if drivers staffs conditions and wages start to become affected due to companies bidding lower to win the franchise.

They have an empty registered office in Piccadilly Gardens ready to go!
Announced this morning that Rotala's Judicial Enquiry is scheduled for May. Stagecoach have theirs scheduled for April 27/8. I personally think Stagecoach are wasting their money. If I'm right, Rotala will probably pull the plug on theirs.
(26/03/2021 13:30)EDB325 Wrote:  Announced this morning that Rotala's Judicial Enquiry is scheduled for May. Stagecoach have theirs scheduled for April 27/8. I personally think Stagecoach are wasting their money. If I'm right, Rotala will probably pull the plug on theirs.

In many ways this mirrors what the PTEs did in a vain attempt to overturn the 1985 Transport Act that brought in bus deregulation and I very much doubt whether Stagecoach or Rotala will be able to overturn this decision to introduce franchising.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)