Current time: 20/04/2024, 09:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wirral Bus Network Review
RE: Wirral Bus Network Review
It will be interesting to see what happens in the review especially with the 118/119 service which is a route that is an enigma. It is busy enough because of it serving both APH and New Brighton but not busy enough to warrant it being made a commercial service I know when it has been a nice day I have seen it getting healthy loads at the New Brighton end but obviously this is negated by a cold winter's day as not many people want to venture to New Brighton for a day out
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
The Heswall - Clatterbridge link is not being lost at all as Avon are still running the 85 Mon - Sat daytimes. Unfortunately the evening and Sunday link will be lost and maybe this link could be looked at in the Network Review. Unfortunately the service suffers as the route between Spital Crossroads to Heswall Station is sparesly populated and in these areas the car dominates.
Also what we don;t know at the moment is will Merseytravel replace this route with a temporary emergency service between the 23rd April and the start of the results of the Bus Review only Merseytravel know the answer to that at the moment. The unfortunate thing is that anyone wishing to get to Clatterbridge from Heswall outside the 85's operating times will face the long drawn out option of travelling to either Neston or Birkenhead to pick up a connecting service hopefully something will replace the 86/87 but in these times of cutbacks I don't hold out much hope
There are nursing homes along Brimstage Road, and I know that both staff and visitors use the evening and sunday 86/87.
I hold my hands up and admit I forgot about the nursing homes on Brimstage Road if some form of service is not put in place after the withdrawal of the 86/87 both the staff and the visitors will I fear face either a hefty taxi fare or even worse not visiting their loved ones in those homes
Possibly this is in the wrong thread I don't know but it will be interesting to see what happens as over the years Wirral has lost a good few Merseytravel supported routes
151 Woodside - Port Sunlight
191 Woodside - Liscard
185 Heswall - Mill Park
21/211/310/311 New Brighton - Arrowe Park Hospital
226 Liscard - Leasowe'Ross Avenue
242 Bromborough Cross - Mill Park
C4X Ellesmere Port - Woodside
276 Arrowe Park Hospital - Banks Road
176 Arrowe Park Hospital - Banks Road (I think I am not wholly sure on this route)
179 Woodside - Prenton
190 Woodside - Prneton
171/172 Woodside - Heswall
171/173 Woodsside/Arrowe Park Hospital - Neston
272/273 the 272 in it's various guises and 273 Arrowe Park Hospital - Neston
240 Overchurch Road - Mill Park
902 Upton Library - Overchurch
800 series in it's various guises
177 Woodside - Heswall
127 Upton,Manor Drive - Leasowe Station
202,204,212 New Ferry Pier - Bromborough Pool Village/Town Lane
and let's not forget the 150 Liverpool - Birkenhead Night Tunnel Bus
Granted some of these routes have been replaced in full and others in part by in the main Avon and in some cases Stagecoach and Arriva and then others have been combined into other Merseytravel routes but over the years I reckon Merseytravel have saved a fair few quid with changes to tendered services on the Wirral
And I am guessing that other forum members can add to the above list of lost or changed Merseytravel changes on the Wirral over the years
I could be wrong in this but I think the 118/119 are probably the longest running contract services to still exist in virtually the same form as they were at dereg. Think the only difference was at dereg, they ran all day 7 days a week as opposed to just Evenings & Sundays.
I would suggest the 901 and 117 now the 17/16A are the longest running as well

View my flickr http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/104753198@N08/ my flickr account.
(27/02/2017 11:31)St Helens Rider Wrote:  I could be wrong in this but I think the 118/119 are probably the longest running contract services to still exist in virtually the same form as they were at dereg. Think the only difference was at dereg, they ran all day 7 days a week as opposed to just Evenings & Sundays.

One of the longest tenders to be continously held by the same operator or its heir and successors,
(27/02/2017 17:11)wirralbus Wrote:  One of the longest tenders to be continously held by the same operator or its heir and successors,

That's right although Crosville had it from dereg for a few months.
The 117 only started 16/1/89, the 901 12/12/88, just beat it!
The 118/119 from Oct 86.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)