Current time: 28/03/2024, 16:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Birkenhead Atlantians
Birkenhead Atlantians
Hello folks,

Was wondering whatever happened to the former Birkenhead Atlantians and where they ended up before being scrapped (159 still seems to be in as acquired condition on the MTT site the last time I looked).

Saw some pictures on flickr of them across the water with modified destination equipment and single door conversions. Don't actually remember seeing them like that when they were on the 42/43s back as a little 'un. Rather liked the dual door ones.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Birkenhead Atlantians
This takes me back.

I remember the single door LCM/Gs being used with fareboxes on the 2/6 Oxton Circle in BCT days. The H regs had a modified Corpy livery and dual doors originally, and the J regs were actually delivered to the PTE in Wirral division livery. Most if not all of the J regs found their way to Seaview Road soon after delivery when LS got 12XX and 13XX PTE Atlantens. although I have a vague recollection that a couple stayed at LS after it went OMO. By that time the G and H regs were predominantly used on the North and Oxton Circles, and many were undergoing the modifications you noted. One of the OBG/Js was also used at LS as a tow bus for a while.

Also don't forget a couple of the OBG/Js were single deck.

Unfortunately I don't know what happened next except for 159.Hopefully one day soon work will start on restoration of this vehicle.
(06/07/2016 16:28)SNL 824 Wrote:  This takes me back.

I remember the single door LCM/Gs being used with fareboxes on the 2/6 Oxton Circle in BCT days. The H regs had a modified Corpy livery and dual doors originally, and the J regs were actually delivered to the PTE in Wirral division livery. Most if not all of the J regs found their way to Seaview Road soon after delivery when LS got 12XX and 13XX PTE Atlantens. although I have a vague recollection that a couple stayed at LS after it went OMO. By that time the G and H regs were predominantly used on the North and Oxton Circles, and many were undergoing the modifications you noted. One of the OBG/Js was also used at LS as a tow bus for a while.

Unfortunately I don't know what happened next except for 159.Hopefully one day soon work will start on restoration of this vehicle.

The J reg Deckers launched the cross river services to New Brighton when the new tunnel opened
a far cry from the Palatines and Hybrids that have operated on those more recently.i can also remember some of these buses working from Liverpool depots in the early 80s,,can`t put a precise date on that but probably around 1981/2
(06/07/2016 16:28)SNL 824 Wrote:  This takes me back.

When I was young, I used to think these buses where a lot bigger than they actually were, the smaller windows and the larger between deck panels were an optical illusion. Was only about six or so at the time! They always seemed to be on the 42/43 as it was then. Only ever remember them in blue and cream, of course they ended up green and some with brown trim which didn't suit in my opinion.

If I had the funds and skills I'd certainly have had 159 back on the road. Looks like a great deal needs doing, would imagine not much of the interior is intact - original or otherwise.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)