Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Queen Square Bus Station - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Queen Square Bus Station (/showthread.php?tid=932)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Queen Square Bus Station - wirralbus - 12/02/2015 20:35

It looks highly likely that Queen Square Bus Station will be closing for a period of upto 8 weeks some time in July to enable carriageway resurfacing to take place , subject to approval from Liverpool City Council and Merseytravel .

Source : Agenda Merseytravel Committee Meeting 12/02/2015

No matter when this work took place this is going to cause major problems to bus services in Liverpool .

RE: Queen Square Bus Station - T42 PVM - 12/02/2015 20:38

Tbh i wish there was a way they could expand Queen Square as the lanes are to narrow

RE: Queen Square Bus Station - wirralbus - 12/02/2015 20:53

This will put severe pressure on the road infrastructure in Central Liverpool as services will have to be found stopping places away from Queen Square.

I can see the Cross-River services being removed from Sir Thomas Street during this work to enable better use of these stops for other services.

RE: Queen Square Bus Station - PO59 MXJ - 12/02/2015 20:55

Merseytravel are going to start trying to promote Liverpool One bus station to try and take some of the strain off Queen Square. Maybe with Queen Square closing this could help them.
Also is it going to be phased closures like one way first and keep the other direction open or are they closing the whole lot and doing it in one go?

RE: Queen Square Bus Station - MPTE1955 - 12/02/2015 20:58

I would imagine it will be one carriageway and then the other. To be honest they could do with taking it all apart and starting all over again.

RE: Queen Square Bus Station - T42 PVM - 12/02/2015 21:02

(12/02/2015 20:58)MPTE1955 Wrote:  I would imagine it will be one carriageway and then the other. To be honest they could do with taking it all apart and starting all over again.

I agree fully! just a shame there no where else a Bus Station could go

RE: Queen Square Bus Station - MPTE1955 - 12/02/2015 21:08

(12/02/2015 21:02)bolton bus basher Wrote:  My
I agree fully! just a shame there no where else a Bus Station could go

The location of the bus station is fine, the design is not, another lane particularly on the main outbound side would help.

RE: Queen Square Bus Station - wirralbus - 12/02/2015 21:10

(12/02/2015 20:55)Shaun821 Wrote:  Merseytravel are going to start trying to promote Liverpool One bus station to try and take some of the strain off Queen Square. Maybe with Queen Square closing this could help them.
Also is it going to be phased closures like one way first and keep the other direction open or are they closing the whole lot and doing it in one go?

There also supposed to be doing something to the crossing in the centre of Queen Square . To be honest whenever I have used that it doesn't leave me with much faith , its like the starting blocks for the Grand National for buses and pedestrians .

RE: Queen Square Bus Station - St Helens Rider - 12/02/2015 22:12

It's sad that all that space that was there when it was Hood Street Gyratory seems to have disappeared. We seem to have gone from having too much space to having too little with the obvious implications.

RE: Queen Square Bus Station - FC Pictures - 12/02/2015 23:33

(12/02/2015 22:12)St Helens Rider Wrote:  It's sad that all that space that was there when it was Hood Street Gyratory seems to have disappeared. We seem to have gone from having too much space to having too little with the obvious implications.

Considering now that the Rat and Parrot has sat empty and closed for 5 years,a lot of the property was not needed in this location, and the bus station was always too small for the traffic it is expected to handle,Sir Thomas St shouldn`t be needed, it`s only because Queen Square is so congested that it is. The only answer now apart from mass demolition, and that is not going to happen is to take some services away from Queen Square all together to give what`s left more chance to breathe. If all the services that serve the Edge Lane and Picton Road Corridors shift to Liverpool One and exit thru Hanover Street it would at least ease some of the over crowding on the bus station and some congestion into Lime Street.Saying this though Hanover Street needs more bus priorities and is due for a long term closure soon for gas works, so no easy solution at all.