Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Stagecoach MCSL - Preston Depot - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Stagecoach MCSL - Preston Depot (/showthread.php?tid=88)

RE: Stagecoach - Preston and Chorley Depots - mathias - 27/02/2014 15:12

(27/02/2014 11:24)E208 WBG Wrote:  hope not Scania Enviro400 not a fan must be better Enviro400 they can get if they even get Enviro400's

Well I'm a big fan of Scanias, as they usually produce fast, powerful buses (Metropolitan, L113/Ultralow etc) with technology borrowed from their truck division.

These N230UDs have the powerful nine-litre Euro5 EEV engine, so they're perfect for cross-country work. Try the same job with a Trident chassis, it would be left gasping with its weedy 6.7 litre Cummins ISBe.

Make no mistake, the N230UD is a quality product.

RE: Stagecoach - Preston and Chorley Depots - MPTE1955 - 27/02/2014 15:33

(27/02/2014 15:12)mathias Wrote:  
(27/02/2014 11:24)E208 WBG Wrote:  hope not Scania Enviro400 not a fan must be better Enviro400 they can get if they even get Enviro400's

Well I'm a big fan of Scanias, as they usually produce fast, powerful buses (Metropolitan, L113/Ultralow etc) with technology borrowed from their truck division.

These N230UDs have the powerful nine-litre Euro5 EEV engine, so they're perfect for cross-country work. Try the same job with a Trident chassis, it would be left gasping with its weedy 6.7 litre Cummins ISBe.

Make no mistake, the N230UD is a quality product.

I agree, the only problem with the Scania Enviro400's is that they are prone to overheating but other than that they are a good quality bus.

RE: Stagecoach - Preston and Chorley Depots - mbonwick - 27/02/2014 16:27

I'm not aware of a particular issue with overheating on N230UDs, if anything they're more likely to have problems with leakage from the common fuel rail...

RE: Stagecoach - Preston and Chorley Depots - Scania3379man - 06/03/2014 11:41

hi guys,
22256 is on 113 arrive at wigan bus station and under 15 passenger on board but few mins off to preston service, it got stick chorley fare on the window.

Thank you

Martyn

RE: Stagecoach - Preston and Chorley Depots - mbonwick - 06/03/2014 11:57

There's nothing unusual about that....(beyond the fact it should be Dart/Solo, but then CY are tight on them at the moment)

As 22256 is a CY vehicle, of course its going to have Chorley area fare adverts!

RE: Stagecoach - Preston and Chorley Depots - Scania3379man - 06/03/2014 15:01

(06/03/2014 11:57)mbonwick Wrote:  There's nothing unusual about that....(beyond the fact it should be Dart/Solo, but then CY are tight on them at the moment)

As 22256 is a CY vehicle, of course its going to have Chorley area fare adverts!

I know mbonwick, of course they should be solo or darts but i cannot understand that, lol.

Martyn

RE: Stagecoach - Preston and Chorley Depots - mbonwick - 06/03/2014 15:23

I don't see what's so difficult to understand? Chorley didn't have enough Solos/darts to put out in service (for whatever reason - it's not important), so they used the next most appropriate available vehicle.

RE: Stagecoach - Preston and Chorley Depots - Vbg111v - 09/03/2014 10:58

If the route does get new stock and it does go gold, well done to Stagecoach. With cheaper fares, bigger, better buses, free wifi and earlier starts to Liverpool, they'll see off the 47/8.

RE: Stagecoach - Preston and Chorley Depots - Barney - 09/03/2014 14:51

(09/03/2014 10:58)Vbg111v Wrote:  If the route does get new stock and it does go gold, well done to Stagecoach. With cheaper fares, bigger, better buses, free wifi and earlier starts to Liverpool, they'll see off the 47/8.

I agree that an upgrade to the 2X2 would be welcome but I'm not sure that Arriva's Southport depot would simply give up the 47/48. Arriva has invested heavily in these routes and they do well. At peak times both the X2 and 47/48 are heavily loaded.

It may well be that the first X2 departure from Liverpool is earlier than the 47/48 but it comes at a cost of 30+ dead mileage from its Preston depot. The fact that the last departure from Liverpool is just after 9pm is another thing that needs to be considered.

I think that the best way to enhance the 2X2 service, apart from a fleet upgrade, is to operate out of two depots, Preston and Gillmoss. By doing this Stagecoach could operate later departures from both ends without incurring excessive dead mileage.

RE: Stagecoach - Preston and Chorley Depots - H101GEV - 09/03/2014 15:08

It won't prompt Arriva to give up on the 47/48 but might make them consider upgrading these services. At the moment, the Pulsars are not ideally suited to the journey length. If not giving it the 'Sapphire' treatment, they need to consider double deckers with high-backed seating and Wi-Fi if they want to encourage more passengers to use the route.

The X2 does very well as it is now, but there is clearly room for improvement. Gold specification buses with their extra bells and whistles would fit the bill and given the unaddressed crowding problems on the Southport rail line, it's bound to be attractive to passengers.