Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Football - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Bus Depot Canteen (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Sports Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Football (/showthread.php?tid=657)

RE: 2012/13 Football Season - wirralbus - 13/01/2013 10:40

I do wonder why the Premier League has so persistently blocked any technology that could help with some of the controversial parts of our beloved football game .

Is it that the Premier League clubs just want all the money that is available all for themselves.

One interesting innovation that would be well recieved is mic-ing the referee up , just like Rugby Union/League .

RE: 2012/13 Football Season - DVL418 - 13/01/2013 13:32

(13/01/2013 10:40)wirralbus Wrote:  I do wonder why the Premier League has so persistently blocked any technology that could help with some of the controversial parts of our beloved football game .

Is it that the Premier League clubs just want all the money that is available all for themselves.

One interesting innovation that would be well recieved is mic-ing the referee up , just like Rugby Union/League .

Premiership refs are mic-ed up but only to assistants and forth official currently. Therefore, very straightforward to extend the coverage further. If up to 75,000 at Twickenham can hear what ref, assistants and video assistant saying to each other, with a feed into the tv coverage that adds a few more million, why not good enough for the Premiership ?

RE: 2012/13 Football Season - Jack - 14/01/2013 01:39

I have to say I was impressed with Howard Webb's performance today.

RE: 2012/13 Football Season - teenagewasteland - 14/01/2013 15:41

The thing with Webb / Mariner / Clattenburg / etc is fans know exactly who they are. They're as well known as the players themselves. In the past, nobody knew who the referee was. The only high profile ref I remember from my childhood was Clive Thomas, even unborn Evertonians know who Clive Thomas is!!!!

Today's officials, because of their professional status, revel in their new-found celebrity.

The likes of Webb enjoy the notoriety their standing in the game brings them - good and bad.

It's about time match officials reverted to referring football games, and stopped acting up for the cameras.

RE: 2012/13 Football Season - wirralbus - 14/01/2013 15:56

The thing is that UEFA and FIFA seem to keep changing the rules every so slightly that the referees can not keep up now without doing loads of homework these days .

Its not easy being a referee these days contrary to popular opinion , it seems most arm chair pundits could do a better job , if so why not try .

RE: 2012/13 Football Season - Penny Return - 14/01/2013 16:19

(14/01/2013 15:41)teenagewasteland Wrote:  The thing with Webb / Mariner / Clattenburg / etc is fans know exactly who they are. They're as well known as the players themselves. In the past, nobody knew who the referee was. The only high profile ref I remember from my childhood was Clive Thomas, even unborn Evertonians know who Clive Thomas is!!!!

Today's officials, because of their professional status, revel in their new-found celebrity.

The likes of Webb enjoy the notoriety their standing in the game brings them - good and bad.

It's about time match officials reverted to referring football games, and stopped acting up for the cameras.
Ah yes..what a wonderful Ref he wasLOL

RE: FA Cup - T42 PVM - 15/01/2013 09:13

bolton fc play sunderland in the FA cup replay!

RE: FA Cup - DVL418 - 15/01/2013 13:11

(15/01/2013 09:13)bolton bus basher Wrote:  bolton fc play sunderland in the FA cup replay!

We find out who our opponents will be after tonight's Bournemouth -v- Wigan replay.

Prefer Wigan obviously...come on you Pie-Eaters!!! Laugh

RE: Glasgow Rangers - DVL418 - 15/01/2013 19:31

The latest story doing the rounds is that Rangers want to join the Blue Square premiership next season!

Story HERE.

Can't see it happening somehow but why not? Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham and Newport County are allowed to play in the English leagues.

RE: 2012/13 Football Season - DVL418 - 15/01/2013 19:38

(14/01/2013 16:19)Penny Return Wrote:  
(14/01/2013 15:41)teenagewasteland Wrote:  The thing with Webb / Mariner / Clattenburg / etc is fans know exactly who they are. They're as well known as the players themselves. In the past, nobody knew who the referee was. The only high profile ref I remember from my childhood was Clive Thomas, even unborn Evertonians know who Clive Thomas is!!!!

Ah yes..what a wonderful Ref he wasLOL

There were plenty more reff's that had a high public profile, both on and off the pitch. How about these three:

Those of us of a 'certain age' remember a certain Mr Jack Taylor who awarded the first ever penalty in a world cup final - 1974 West Germany v Holland.

Also Denis Howells who after reffing at the top level went on to be a respected MP and Minister.

Finally - Arthur Ellis who after retiring from reffing, became the 'Its a Knockout' referee.

...and not to forget Mr Denis Thatcher who was a county grade Rugby Union referee before having to give it up when his wife became Prime Minister!