Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot (/showthread.php?tid=125)

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - Valandil - 13/04/2017 10:18

I too think that this is a terrible idea. What's wrong with the Solos?
I know I wouldn't be particularly keen to catch the local van ...
Are they really that keen to run down these services?

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - SK15 GZG - 13/04/2017 11:58

(13/04/2017 10:10)knutstransport Wrote:  They aren't 22 seaters. They are 16 seaters with the option of having up to 8 standing. Arriva are taking up the option of having the option for having 8 standing but other operators may choose not to if they wish to use drivers who are only licenced to drive minibuses carrying up to 16 passengers.

Yet apparently they are replacing Solo SRs which can carry up to 51 passengers (35 seated and 16 standing.) Huh

There isn't an option for the Mellor Strata to be a 16 seater - they come in either 21, 18 or 14 seat configurations

At the end of the day though there's a first time for everything and in this day and age with vital services being cut vehicles like the Mellor Strata could well be answer to keeping of a lot of routes running which would otherwise be cut if they used larger vehicles which cost much more to run than a 22 seater minibus

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - knutstransport - 13/04/2017 12:48

(13/04/2017 11:58)Y474 KNF Wrote:  There isn't an option for the Mellor Strata to be a 16 seater - they come in either 21, 18 or 14 seat configurations

My Maths was wrong it would be either 14 seated + 8, 18 seated + 4 or 21 seated + 1.

Quote: which cost much more to run than a 22 seater minibus

Of course it can't be a 22 seater if they don't make them with more than 21 seats.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - dca529x - 13/04/2017 12:54

(13/04/2017 11:58)Y474 KNF Wrote:  There isn't an option for the Mellor Strata to be a 16 seater - they come in either 21, 18 or 14 seat configurations

At the end of the day though there's a first time for everything and in this day and age with vital services being cut vehicles like the Mellor Strata could well be answer to keeping of a lot of routes running which would otherwise be cut if they used larger vehicles which cost much more to run than a 22 seater minibus

A very valid point.
I should imagine there will be quite a substantial fuel saving over time, which may help them continue marginal services, without the having to resort to diminishing county council support.
I did travel on the demo in January and its a bit of a shed, but, rather that than nothing at all.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - knutstransport - 13/04/2017 13:02

(13/04/2017 12:54)dca529x Wrote:  I should imagine there will be quite a substantial fuel saving over time, which may help them continue marginal services, without the having to resort to diminishing county council support.

The real question is are they suitable for services which Arriva will be running? Arriva tend to not be interested in the services which don't get so high loadings, with operators like High Peak, Howards and Tomlinson Travel taking them on.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - iMarkeh - 14/04/2017 02:48

Knutstransport, just think, high loading on a solo would be maybe 30 where as high loading on a minibus would be lower maybe around 15-20 meaning technically more services are viable.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - 33109 - 14/04/2017 05:56

Knutstransport - they'd be suitable (maybe) for macc town work:

2 - Thornton Square
3 - Weston
4 - Upton Priory
9 - Moss Rose

The hurdsfield gets fairly high loadings & the only bollington duties they could work would be the sunday/bank hols duties. Crewe is definitely out the window as even the midday runs which are quieter easily get 30+ people so in short their stuffed before we even get the things!

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - knutstransport - 14/04/2017 06:08

Further up the thread it was said passengers were left behind when they used the demo one in Macc.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - 33109 - 14/04/2017 09:25

They were, we're basically screwed already! What we really need is some enviro 200 darts like stagecoach use.

Decent sized single deckers rather than blinking minibuses.......

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - N531 DWM - 14/04/2017 10:50

I don't know why they didn't just do a straight swap with Wrexham if they want smaller buses, Solo SR's for baby Enviro 200's.