Current time: 25/04/2024, 02:15 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

D&G Bus
RE: D&G Bus
(26/09/2020 08:04)knutstransport Wrote:  The point I was trying to make is while D&G will no longer be running a commercial service there's no mention of them no longer operating the 130 on their own website. Given that D&G normally update their website fairly quickly when they plan to withdraw a service that suggests they think they have either won the contract (but can't publicise it yet) or have submitted a bid, have not won but the winning bid has been questioned.

Cheshire East said they couldn't confirm what the timetable would be (suggesting there were different options available to bidders) but this week Wilmslow.co.uk has now confirmed it will be an hourly Macclesfield-Handforth service with no mention of who the operator will be.

I've got some real concerns about this, not withstanding CEC's general incompetence, I wonder where the Handforth terminus will be ?. Running an hourly service suggests a two bus op. If the Handforth terminus is The Paddock then that can be achieved as its a 111 min round trip with 5 and 4 min stand at each end, but that's only possible off peak, the hourly service will be busted if peak running time is increased. If the Handforth terminus is the Lakeland roundabout, that's another 4/5 minutes gone and it's just not practicable to run round on 2 min stand time, then there's the peak to consider. Unreliability killed the route in the first place alongside A34 roadworks (with no mitigation measures), perhaps that's the ultimate aim, so there's an excuse when the funding disappears.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(26/09/2020 08:41)KXW212 Wrote:  I've got some real concerns about this, not withstanding CEC's general incompetence in everything they touch. I wonder where the Handforth terminus will be ?. Running an hourly service suggests a two bus op. If the Handforth terminus is The Paddock then that can be achieved as its a 111 min round trip with 5 and 4 min stand at each end, but that's only possible off peak, the hourly service will be busted if peak running time is increased. If the Handforth terminus is the Lakeland roundabout, that's another 4/5 minutes gone and it's just not practicable to run round on 2 min stand time, then there's the peak to consider. Unreliability killed the route in the first place, perhaps that's the ultimate aim, so there's an excuse when the funding disappears.

When Cheshire East (or D&G) say hourly they normally mean 'roughly hourly', look at 88 departures from Knutsford to Wilmslow on weekdays: 07:00, 08:20, 09:25, 10:30 then hourly until mid-afternoon. If D&G, Arriva or High Peak get the contract then they could do some interworking with other services to try and achieve a more consistent peak time service.
Maybe Go Goodwins have bid for the contract? They seem to have acquired some Optare Metrocitys and are operating in the area on 391/392 (as well as occasional Knutsford Park & Rides)

Its a tough bus operating environment at the moment so even with dead mileage its income. Just a thought nothing concrete
(26/09/2020 10:22)Citibus Wrote:  Maybe Go Goodwins have bid for the contract?

They'd also possibly have one of their existing new Enviros available on a Saturday as the Sat 391/392 only needs 2 vehicles.

Quote:(as well as occasional Knutsford Park & Rides)

They have an agreement in place with Knutsford Town Council to provide a shuttle bus for the annual Christmas markets (over one weekend) but that isn't regular work. From council meeting minutes it appears conversations have taken place between the council and operator about how a shuttle could work this year with social distancing in place.

Knutsford Town Council reported they offered to run the service for the lowest cost but as the requirement was for a double decker that would have excluded D&G Bus.

Quote:Its a tough bus operating environment at the moment so even with dead mileage its income.

Even under normal circumstances some operators do a lot of dead mileage for event specials. Aintree Coachline have operated the Knutsford to Cheshire Show shuttles and prior to D&G having Wincham they operated the Northwich/Hartford station shuttles one year using Metrocities and drivers from their Adderley Green depot.
D&G retain 130 from 5 Oct. Increased to x60 Mon - Fri and introduction on Saturday x120
https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/pdf/publ...r-2020.pdf
(28/09/2020 08:24)KXW212 Wrote:  D&G retain 130 from 5 Oct. Increased to x60 Mon - Fri and introduction on Saturday x120
https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/pdf/publ...r-2020.pdf

Is there a mistake in that timetable? The 16:25 from Macclesfield is shown as arriving in Handforth at 17:42, while there's a departure from Handforth for Macclesfield showing at 17:40.

It's good to see the 16:25 Macclesfield-Handforth will connect with the 88 at Wilmslow so if anyone misses the 15:45 88 bus from Macclesfield they have an option which doesn't involve waiting for the 18:15 88 bus. However, disappointing to see that doesn't work with the 17:45 on Saturdays. Although, the Saturday 88 & 130 timetables combined mean a consistent hourly Broken Cross-Macc Hospital-Macc service on Saturdays
I thought the original idea was for a constant hourly service Mon-Sat well that's how I read it anyway.
(29/09/2020 05:59)M60lad Wrote:  I thought the original idea was for a constant hourly service Mon-Sat well that's how I read it anyway.

They are doing the same as with the 288 with a Mon-Fri hourly frequency and Saturday 2-hourly. I suspect that they are not making as much money due to reduced patronage and may be struggling for drivers?

Play City Bus Manager? I've compiled collections from different bus mods helpfully created by the community:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/dounowhoia...id=1364210

Play "Bus Simulator 18" on PC, check out my "Finglands" bus mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...2122981042
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(29/09/2020 16:04)dounowhoiam Wrote:  They are doing the same as with the 288 with a Mon-Fri hourly frequency and Saturday 2-hourly. I suspect that they are not making as much money due to reduced patronage and may be struggling for drivers?

288 has also lost evening and Sunday service. I suspect it's mainly down to TfGM not wanting to put more funding in to the 288 route and returning to the old frequency not being viable on existing funding when the airport isn't operating at full capacity.

Also noticed D&G have now removed the link to the survey that you were to fill in about times you needed services to operate as you returned to work, education or similar.
(29/09/2020 16:34)knutstransport Wrote:  288 has also lost evening and Sunday service. I suspect it's mainly down to TfGM not wanting to put more funding in to the 288 route and returning to the old frequency not being viable on existing funding when the airport isn't operating at full capacity.

Also noticed D&G have now removed the link to the survey that you were to fill in about times you needed services to operate as you returned to work, education or similar.

To be fair the majority of the 288 is duplicated by the 88, if they just extended the 88 to serve the Airport and Viewing Park it would give links to the Airport for Altrincham and Cheshire towns as well. The only drawback is that it adds even more journey time to the 88 routes.

Play City Bus Manager? I've compiled collections from different bus mods helpfully created by the community:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/dounowhoia...id=1364210

Play "Bus Simulator 18" on PC, check out my "Finglands" bus mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...2122981042
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)