Current time: 16/04/2024, 18:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jeremy Clarkson
Jeremy Clarkson
Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC as a result of a fracas with a producer that is all that is known at the moment .

What this means for Top Gear is not known at this time .
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Jeremy Clarkson
(10/03/2015 16:53)wirralbus Wrote:  Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC as a result of a fracas with a producer that is all that is known at the moment .

What this means for Top Gear is not known at this time .

At last, another one of the Chipping Norton Set to get his come-uppance. First Rebekah Brooks, now Clarkson. Hopefully it won't be much longer to wait before David Cameron is also looking for another job. Clarkson, in my opinion, is a nasty, arrogant, sexist, racist bore.

As for Top Gear, apparently it generates £150million per year for the BBC so I'm sure it will be back soon. I just hope James May and the Hamster don't do anything silly and jeopardise their own careers.
Maybe this is the time for the BBC to look at the format of Top Gear , not to get rid of something that works and the general public want to watch.

What this will do is make people want to watch repeats of previous Top Gear shows .
I very much doubt Top Gear would survive in the current format without Jeremy Clarkson, but in another format would it be as popular anyway?
I do think the BBC management are stuck between a rock and a hard place .

They have to weigh up the situation involving the Producer and have to be seen to be doing at least something even if it is the premature end to this series .

The upper management know they have a money spinner and probably don't want to lose Clarkson to another channel knowing that some of the fans of Top Gear will go with him.

Unfortunately any publicity is good publicity whether it be good or bad as it keeps the name Top Gear name in the public psyche .
(11/03/2015 17:09)wirralbus Wrote:  I do think the BBC management are stuck between a rock and a hard place .

They have to weigh up the situation involving the Producer and have to be seen to be doing at least something even if it is the premature end to this series .

The upper management know they have a money spinner and probably don't want to lose Clarkson to another channel knowing that some of the fans of Top Gear will go with him.

Unfortunately any publicity is good publicity whether it be good or bad as it keeps the name Top Gear name in the public psyche .

I really don't understand why people are defending Clarkson's behaviour. Ok, everyone deserves a second chance but how many times has he transgressed? Eight, nine, ten?

I can think of two incidents where a TV celebrity behaved in a manner that was deemed unacceptable and had his contract terminated. One was when Ron Atkinson made a racist remark about a black footballer and the other was when Andy Gray and Richards Keys made some relatively mild sexist comments, both when they thought they were off air. Both ITV and Sky TV realised that if it retained their services it would be seen to be condoning behaviour that has no place in the 21st century.

Apparently over 300,000 people have signed an on-line petition demanding that Clarkson is re-instated. What does that tell us? It tells us that, unfortunately, there are a lot of people in this country who think that rules and acceptable civilised behaviour are secondary to entertainment.
I dont think the 3 remaining episodes of the current series should have been dropped as in my view its unfair to James May and Richard Hammond who have done nothing wrong and the episodes have already been filmed. If the BBC decide to continue Top Gear without Clarkson then maybe they could replace him with Vicki Butler Henderson,Tiff Needell or Quentin Wilson. Needell and Wilson have presented Top Gear in the past. Really hope Top Gear doesnt die as i enjoy watching it.
If Clarkson is dropped from Top Gear, it will be the end of the programme. Part of what makes the show what it is is the bond between the 3 presenters and bringing someone else in will just feel forced. More importantly, the remaining 3 episodes will have a lot of Clarkson features in them so if you're going to drop him from the broadcast it is only fair you drop his features too which will reduce the hour long running time. Watch those viewing figures drop like a lead balloon.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
(12/03/2015 07:34)MX12CFE Wrote:  I dont think the 3 remaining episodes of the current series should have been dropped as in my view its unfair to James May and Richard Hammond who have done nothing wrong and the episodes have already been filmed. If the BBC decide to continue Top Gear without Clarkson then maybe they could replace him with Vicki Butler Henderson,Tiff Needell or Quentin Wilson. Needell and Wilson have presented Top Gear in the past. Really hope Top Gear doesnt die as i enjoy watching it.

So's Vicki Butler Henderson. They all moved together to present Fifth Gear. Not so welll remembered is that other Top Gear presenters have included Angela Rippon and Noel Edmonds!
Although the features and everything have been filmed, the studio parts of the programme are filmed the week before.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)