Current time: 19/04/2024, 20:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail named units
Merseyrail named units
With Merseyrail having named some of their units it gave me an idea to think of names for further Merseyrail units

Below is a list of current (and former) names which will be updated as they are named or denamed:

Current:
507004 Bob Paisley
507008 Harold Wilson
507009 Dixie Dean
507023 Operations Inspector Stuart Mason
507033 Councillor Jack Spriggs
508111 The Beatles
508123 William Roscoe
508136 Wilfred Owen MC

Denamed:
507016 Merseyrail - celebrating the first ten years 2003-2013
507020 John Peel
507021 Red Rum
507033 Councillor George Howard
508136 Capital of Culture

I would like to see Red Rum reapplied to 507021 - an excellent name for one of the best units in the fleet in my opinion. Other names I would like to be used are Anfield, Goodison Park, Liverpool International Music Festival and The Ninety Six. Another idea could be to name 507001 HM Queen Elizabeth II as this was the unit that the Queen travelled on when the Class 507s were first introduced
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Merseyrail named units
I know this may be controversial but I reckon one one of them names would be acceptable , Liverpool International Music Festival .

I wouldn't name anything Football related isn't it sufficient to have trains named after football legends from Merseyside.

I don't think a Merseyrail unit that maybe coming to the end of its working life should be named after HM The Queen. Was a good thought though.
(02/03/2015 19:56)wirralbus Wrote:  I know this may be controversial but I reckon one one of them names would be acceptable , Liverpool International Music Festival .

I wouldn't name anything Football related isn't it sufficient to have trains named after football legends from Merseyside.

I don't think a Merseyrail unit that maybe coming to the end of its working life should be named after HM The Queen. Was a good thought though.

I think it's very important that local landmarks and events are recognised as well as local celebrities

Football has played a part in Merseyside's history. I definitely think there is a case for units to be named after Anfield and Goodison Park - they are important local landmarks that are known worldwide and are instantly associated with Liverpool. I definitely think a unit should be named in memory of The 96 as well

I don't the fact 507001 might be coming to the end of its working life makes it a bad idea to name the unit after the Queen. It's a very important unit - and it's possible that it could be preserved once it has been withdrawn from service
No Bill Shankly or any music people apart from the fab four,not very good at all Angry

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
Compare it to the names on Northern Units Mps and other low life Merseyrail do a good job naming units.

Bring Back Arriva Skelmersdale
(03/03/2015 09:19)Penny Return Wrote:  No Bill Shankly or any music people apart from the fab four,not very good at all Angry

If Bill shankly was done they would have to find another Everton name as well.

You know Everton fans hate Liverpool having an upper hand .

How about a Cilla Black named unit .
I think Bill Shankly is good suggestion Rob - I definitely agree with that

If I was to name a unit after another Everton player for me it would have to be Neville Southall

Two other suggestions I would put forward are Brian Epstein and Ricky Tomlinson

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)