Current time: 28/03/2024, 12:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva put Prices up again
RE: Arriva put Prices up again
I actually don't think its dear. So i can travel from Chester to Wrexham etc for £5.80 in a new bus with wifi etc.

Think what people spend at Starbucks for 1 coffee or a toastie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(24/03/2019 13:08)The H man Wrote:  I actually don't think its dear. So i can travel from Chester to Wrexham etc for £5.80 in a new bus with wifi etc.

I think his objection was he doesn't have confidence in some drivers finding a rarely issued £5.80 day ticket on the system.

There's a difference between Starbucks and Arriva (or any other bus company.) If Starbucks advertise a Latte for £2.20, they don't give you a cup of instant coffee instead and still charge you £2.20. I see Warrington's Own Buses using an old Cadet/decker on a Cat9 working almost every morning - I'm sure the passengers who catch that particular service don't get a discounted ticket for not getting a 'Cat standard' vehicle.
Warringtons day tickets are different story. I was referring to arriva north west and Wales day ticket and it's value.

Ok forget the Starbucks example, that was just an example that people will pay for luxuries but moan about essentials.

If you compare 5.80 or whatever it is to get to and from work against cost of owning and running a car , I think it stacks up well
(24/03/2019 15:41)The H man Wrote:  Warringtons day tickets are different story. I was referring to arriva north west and Wales day ticket and it's value.

I just brought up Cat9 as I know there's a booked working operated by an older vehicle. If you want an Arriva related example the 130 route didn't get its fares lowered when the Sapphire branded vehicles got replaced by Solos and passengers travelling on the various "non-Sapphire" routes operated by the Winsford depot pay the same fares whether they get a 15 year old Cadet or one of the Sapphire standard buses.

Quote:If you compare 5.80 or whatever it is to get to and from work against cost of owning and running a car , I think it stacks up well

Depends how you look at it. If your journey starts in Chester and ends in Wrexham and that's the only journey you'll make then yes. If you have to buy a combination of different tickets for different operators to get to where you want to be then you can end up paying almost double that to get from A to B.
(24/03/2019 15:14)knutstransport Wrote:  I think his objection was he doesn't have confidence in some drivers finding a rarely issued £5.80 day ticket on the system.
No, it is more passenger simplicity. So few people travel 'through' Chester so the additional revenue would be minimal. Like I say, probably less than £3 per day. What is the point in making more zones and more ticket with more prices for the sake of earning an extra £3 per day. They might as well keep the current system in place.

If there were more routes which crossed the North West and Wales ticket boarders or more connecting towns, it would make sense but people would have to travel through Chester to make any use of the ticket. Given Arriva are reducing their services in Chester, the possible journey options are vastly decreased.

Let's say, for argument's sake, Arriva ran Wrexham to Nantwich on the old 89 route. You then have a route running through the ticket borders which would have passengers making use of the ticket and it allows people to connect onto other services at Wrexham or Nantwich as well as the services in Chester. I would say a good 98% of people who travel into Chester, do so because that is where they want to go. That is the end destination. The other 2% would be using a local bus to connect onto a longer distance bus. Ie Blacon bus to Chester and then X30 to Runcorn.

If the X4 was being kept on to the Oaks and Arriva decided the Chester zone was for Chester and the Oaks was in the North West Zone... This makes sense then as yes there would be few people who did it, there is a through bus making the journey and people are likely to connect from another service onto the X4 to do that last short hop to the Oaks.

Can people see where I am coming from?
(24/03/2019 13:08)The H man Wrote:  I actually don't think its dear. So i can travel from Chester to Wrexham etc for £5.80 in a new bus with wifi etc.

The majority of passengers pay to get from A to B and the vehicles age or WiFi are irrelevant to them. £5.80 from Wrexham to Chester is very expensive when you consider the price of the Merseyside zone day ticket and how far you can travel on it, and you can do the same journey, admittedly nowhere near as frequent, for £4.20 with Stagecoach’s 5!
(24/03/2019 15:41)The H man Wrote:  Warringtons day tickets are different story. I was referring to arriva north west and Wales day ticket and it's value.

Ok forget the Starbucks example, that was just an example that people will pay for luxuries but moan about essentials.

If you compare 5.80 or whatever it is to get to and from work against cost of owning and running a car , I think it stacks up well

Interesting take on it. Surely the whole point is people need essentials, but don't need luxuries! I would never think of going into a coffee shop unless in say a Airport, but as I don't drive, I would be all but housebound without a bus service. And I'm not going to get into the arguments over fixed v variable cost of a car again
Merseytravel are increasing their bus fares by 10p on Monday. It will mean just a 20p difference between their fares and Arriva's flat fare of £2.30!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)