Current time: 28/03/2024, 13:15 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: What is your favourite double decker currently on the market?
Alexander Dennis Enviro400 (Euro V)
Alexander Dennis Enviro400 MMC (Euro VI)
MCV DD103
Optare MetroDecker
Wright Gemini 3
Wright StreetDeck
[Show Results]

Current double deckers
Current double deckers
With the recent double deck deliveries in the North West region I thought it would be interesting to see what everybody's favourite double decker currently on the market is. I think it'll be really interesting to see which one gets the most votes!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Current double deckers
The Euro V Enviro400 for me, particularly in terms of looks. In the flesh, the Euro VI variant doesn't do it for me and looks dreadful in Stagecoach livery. I haven't been on a Euro VI Enviro400 yet but should be able to next Saturday so maybe that will change my opinion!

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
I agree. I do like the Enviro400 MMC but I prefer the Euro V version. The Euro V variants that entered service on Merseyside this year are excellent buses. The interiors are extremely comfortable with excellent ride quality - and they look great in Interurban too

To add - I've been on Euro V Enviro400s with other operators too and I've found them all to be consistently good with excellent ride quality and on the whole comfortable seating. I would really like the next batch of double deckers for the North West to be the Euro V variant but we'll have to wait and see!
The Enviro400MMC has grown on me but I agree the Stagecoach livery looks dreadful on them. The new Wright facelift revealed at the Bus Expo has ruined the Gemini and StreetDeck for me. I do like the MCV decker but it's clearly not very popular and I'm undecided on the Optare decker without seeing any in service anywhere so far.

Overall I'm not a massive fan of any of the double decks currently on the market, the old Enviro400 is the favourite but this will be phased out soon.
(09/01/2015 21:12)Dentonian Wrote:  A couple of points: Presumably the Optare "Streetdeck" should read Metrodecker. That said, neither this nor the MCV should be included - at least not yet - as so far, they are purely London buses, so not relevant to this region.

Otherwise; in terms of looks, the E400MMC does look better in the flesh than the original Enviro, and I think the Stagecoach livery suits it very well, with (seemingly) more white. The Gemini 3 is only slightly different to the Gemini 2, which is a reasonably attractive design still. As for the Wright Streetdeck; Its probably the ugliest bus I've ever seen. It looks like something out of a futurist horror film!

As for interiors, not as easy to comment, as the existing Enviro400 and the Gemini are the only two types I have travelled on - and even then interior design is often down to the Operator's spec.
Stagecoach's standard Enviro400s are depressingly dark inside, and are limited in the number of cushioned seats (14) downstairs. Hopefully, the MMC will be brighter and more comfortable. First's Enviro400s are brighter but the e-plastic is excruciating, although the Rusholme ones are slightly better than the 2012 batch.
First's Wrights vary, but are generally better than their Enviro400s. Like Stagecoach Enviro400s, the wheel arch seats are bad, but the handrail in front of them means you are at risk of cracking your head if you sit in the next pair forward. There is also, an unbreakable rule on First Geminis; you either get a reasonably comfy seat, or you can see out. Careful placing of ticketing branding on the windows mean there are NO seats with both.

In short; bring back the GMT "Standards" of the 70s/80s. comfy seats, adequate leg room (well, the NC ones anyway) and surprisingly bright interiors, even if the laminate was black.

Metrodecker is now a domestic product as shown by the launch of the regional version at Euro Bus Expo.

Your roving North East reporter, bring you the latest news from Arriva North East, Stagcoach North East and Go North East.

My Flickr
Updated regularly
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
I have corrected that - thank you for pointing it out

I have included the Optare and MCV in the poll because there are members from the forum who don't live in the North West. Forum members who live in other areas may have traveled on them and that is why I have included them in the poll. Also I feel it would be unfair to exclude vehicles from a poll because they haven't operated in the North West yet
I was under the impression the Gemini3 will have the same look as the Streetdeck? Early examples of both however still have the Gemini2 look.
I quite like the Volvo B5 with a Gemini 3 body. We had a demonstrater with Go North East that came down from Lothian and saw use at Riverside and Crook depots, on 'Toon Link' services 11/31/32/47 and 'Pronto' service X21 respectively.

I rode it once on service X21 between Chester-le-Street and Durham (I would have rode it more but sadly it was only at Crook for a short period, a fortnight at best) and I felt it was a very nice journey.

Despite some staff saying it had not even power to handle a demanding route as the X21, I feel different about it. It was a mixture of luxury and a light-feeling I've experienced on the Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2s used on service 21.

At present, I think they're my favourites. Although I haven't tried any others that are in the poll. Smile

Please check out my Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@N02/. Photos from around the North East. (Updated Rarely).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)