Current time: 18/04/2024, 12:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rotala - Prestonbus
RE: Rotala - Prestonbus
Having been in Preston a few times recently mainly noting the Stagecoach fleet I could not help but notice the age profile of the Rotala Prestonbus fleet. Whilst Stagecoach have recently replaced 55/56 reg double deckers with brand new buses Prestonbus are soldiering on with buses 7/8 years older.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
The word I got from the operations director at Preston Bus, earlier this year, was that the plan was to not buy new double deckers, but buy mid life vehicles, and concentrate on modernising the overworked minibus fleet. It has to be said though, Preston Bus has a fleet of 106 vehicles, not including those based at the former SLT facility, and of those 106 vehicles, about 50 are of double deck capacity. So, in reality, they could replace up to five double deckers a year, but would they have sufficient funds to replace other vehicles.
(13/12/2017 15:38)robertclark125 Wrote:  The word I got from the operations director at Preston Bus, earlier this year, was that the plan was to not buy new double deckers, but buy mid life vehicles, and concentrate on modernising the overworked minibus fleet. It has to be said though, Preston Bus has a fleet of 106 vehicles, not including those based at the former SLT facility, and of those 106 vehicles, about 50 are of double deck capacity. So, in reality, they could replace up to five double deckers a year, but would they have sufficient funds to replace other vehicles.

In comparison, Rotala is a very small operation and, as such, doesn't have the buying power of the likes of Stagecoach. It does make economic sense for Rotala to purchase decent mid-life deckers and refurbish them rather than buy new.
Although Prestonbus have some older stuff, they are pretty nice inside from a passenger point of view (ELC Tridents) and definitely don't show their age.
(13/12/2017 18:36)thomasl1231 Wrote:  Although Prestonbus have some older stuff, they are pretty nice inside from a passenger point of view (ELC Tridents) and definitely don't show their age.

Yes thay are well looked after, you Yardley ever see a Preston bus vehicle looking shabby or derty
(14/12/2017 08:11)wimdebusse Wrote:  Yes thay are well looked after, you Yardley ever see a Preston bus vehicle looking shabby or derty

Yet the allover blue livery of Diamond does not lend itself any favours. With quite a few Solos looking down at heel.
YJ10 MBX (30102) unbranded and minus fleet numbers on the newly won tendered service preston to blackpool today
Another addition to the fleet is 20836 YJ54BUE another Solo transfered up from Tivadale which was out on 25/5 routes yesterday, interesting thing is that despite it being based at Preston Depot its fitted with a Ticketer ticket machine which I found odd unless Prestonbus are just using a selection of vehicles now on Lancashire Tenders.
(17/12/2017 07:26)M60lad Wrote:  Another addition to the fleet is 20836 YJ54BUE another Solo transfered up from Tivadale which was out on 25/5 routes yesterday, interesting thing is that despite it being based at Preston Depot its fitted with a Ticketer ticket machine which I found odd unless Prestonbus are just using a selection of vehicles now on Lancashire Tenders.

Certainly a mix on 337/347 during the week with Prestobus 20771/90/92/811 and Diamond 20794/5/802/29/30 seen
(17/12/2017 07:26)M60lad Wrote:  Another addition to the fleet is 20836 YJ54BUE another Solo transfered up from Tivadale which was out on 25/5 routes yesterday, interesting thing is that despite it being based at Preston Depot its fitted with a Ticketer ticket machine which I found odd unless Prestonbus are just using a selection of vehicles now on Lancashire Tenders.

YJ54BUO is 20838, and was formally Rosso 54

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)