Current time: 24/04/2024, 16:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseytravel - 30 Year Plan
RE: Merseytravel - 30 Year Plan
(30/08/2014 18:03)childwallblues Wrote:  The 319s would obviously have to fit into the tunnels into Liverpool Central. However if the line is allocated to Merseyrail they would use ther own units.

This really does depend on what comes up with regard fleet replacement , if there is no fleet replacement then unfortunately I can not see these places being added to the list of locations served by Merseyrail.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(30/08/2014 19:05)wirralbus Wrote:  This really does depend on what comes up with regard fleet replacement , if there is no fleet replacement then unfortunately I can not see these places being added to the list of locations served by Merseyrail.

Not a problem Wirralbus. There are plenty of three car 313s being made redundant in the next few years in London. They are old but are the same bodyshell as 507/508s, dual voltage, carry more passengers than a two car and are better than any Pacer.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(31/08/2014 07:30)childwallblues Wrote:  Not a problem Wirralbus. There are plenty of three car 313s being made redundant in the next few years in London. They are old but are the same bodyshell as 507/508s, dual voltage, carry more passengers than a two car and are better than any Pacer.

I have only a passing interest in all things rail and was surprised to learn on the web yesterday that of all the rolling stock in the UK the 507/508s are the second oldest, the oldest being the 313s. Although the Merseyrail stock had a make-over in 2005 and is getting wrap-arounds to preserve them for a few more years, it is obvious that the units will not last more than a few more years.

No doubt the 30 Year Plan has been produced with the not unreasonable expectation that brand new - and additional - rolling stock will also be procured with the expansion and development of the Merseyrail network.

On a personal note, it shocked me when I realised that it is almost 36 years since I boarded 507001 at Seaforth station on its inaugural run whilst on my way to work. My impression of the unit was very positive, but little did I suspect that it would have a working life longer than the 502 class it was replacing.
Even the city line will be using stock in the class 319 that is around 20ish years of age , money seems to follow money on the railway and it will only be the franchises of southern England that get very new stock as some of them are money-spinners.
So with a study into the demand and cost of re-opening St. James Station on the Northern Line could this be the start of growing the Merseyrail network? I believe there also plans to open a new station on the Northern Line in Vauxhall - another area of the city I think would significantly benefit from a station

I'd really like to see both stations open - but only time will tell if they do
Plans for the new Maghull Station will be shown to the Public on 24/11/15

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/about-us/...event.aspx

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
This might relieve the present problems encountered at Maghull Station where the car park is regularly jammed solid very quickly , leaving no room for off peak passengers .

Lets hope Maghull North is built with enough car parking spaces and not become one of these stations built without any car parking .
Good to see the Maghull North plans moving forward. The station has a good catchment area with the hospital close by, and it's far enough away from the current Maghull station to do more than just take its passengers.
Has there been any further updates on this projects in the last year and half?

EDIT: Just noticed the ideas was never posted:

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/about-us/...ategy.aspx

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
I was led to believe the rebuilding of Liverpool Lime Street was so that the station had another platform capable of taking a full size pendolino to enable the Virgin service to be ramped up to a 30 minute service frequency in the future , probably at least 2 or more years hence.

Liverpool South Parkway will be interesting to see how the main platforms 1 and 2 can be extended due to the close proximity of pointwork at both the Runcorn and Liverpool ends of this platform , there is a big possibility that platform 3 and 4 could have a seriously long extension added at the Runcorn end of the station.

The Burscough Curves seem to have been on the agenda since i was a child and not really got off the drawing board , i know it could take some road traffic off the road between Ormskirk and Southport , which can not be a bad thing if it does come off.

Kirkby - Wigan electrification could probably give the line a much needed boost by giving it evening and sunday services , lets seen how much demand there would be for it . When will this Headbolt Lane stop be built if ever.

Maybe the Merseyrail takeover is where the options for these extra Stadler train options come in. A minimum service frequency 30 mins would probably bring growth to this line , the hourly service at present stifles demand.

Off all the stations listed only maghull North seems at this time to be coming through .

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)