Current time: 19/04/2024, 11:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Real-time bus departures
Real-time bus departures
Generally, the reliability and punctuality of bus services has improved out of all recognition in the past decade. Operators, both large and small, recognise that unless the bus arrives at the stop when it should do, passengers/customers will be less inclined to use or rely on its services. Having said that, try as it might an operator cannot always guarantee that its services will run to scheduled time.

In some parts of the country, particularly London and the south east, real-time bus information has been available for a long time. Last year National Express made this facility available for its services but, apart from a limited trial of a system about 12 years ago, Merseyside has never adopted it. Arriva has recently introduced a smart-phone app which will, in the coming months provide real-time information. It has already been introduced in its north east region and, according to one forum member, kuyoyo, it seems to be working well and has been well-received. Also, I have read that Stagecoach intend to set up a similar facility across all of its services by 2015.

I have two questions:
1. Does any area in the north west already provide real-time bus information through a smart phone app?
2. Does anybody know if Merseytravel intend to make real-time information through a single app?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Real-time bus departures
I was at a Merseytravel Customer Forum last week and there was a presentation about Merseytravel's image. This included plans for a new design for timetables (in the same style as TfGM) and the roll out of Real Time Information (RTI) later this year. The rollout will begin on the 10 corridor.
Arriva North West are also looking into GPS apps which the user can download and track their next buses location in the not too distant future
(25/01/2014 18:58)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  Arriva North West are also looking into GPS apps which the user can download and track their next buses location in the not too distant future

This will be launching between the beginning of March through to the middle of June I understand.

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Shouldn't be too difficult for Arriva Northwest as (when their working) their ticket machines work off GPS as the driver doesn't update the stages as the ticket machine does it automatically, in fact I know of a number of operators who's machines a programmed like this.
(25/01/2014 18:31)St Helens Rider Wrote:  I was at a Merseytravel Customer Forum last week and there was a presentation about Merseytravel's image. This included plans for a new design for timetables (in the same style as TfGM) and the roll out of Real Time Information (RTI) later this year. The rollout will begin on the 10 corridor.

They also want a central radio room for all operators. Im sure MTL had one in operation and CMT but they both abandoned the schemes and I remember Gillmoss had all radios in a box never used in the depot as their drivers didnt want to use them!
Merseytravel can monitor progress on their contract services anyway as they can get a real-time GPS trace from the ticket machine to work out where every bus is!

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
(26/01/2014 13:38)buses7675 Wrote:  Merseytravel can monitor progress on their contract services anyway as they can get a real-time GPS trace from the ticket machine to work out where every bus is!

I know that operators can monitor their services through the GPS facility in the new ticket machines. Last night I was on an Arriva service when a passenger complained rather aggressively to the driver that he was driving too slowly. The driver explained that he had to keep to time and the GPS tracking made him do this. The passenger was surprised to hear this explanation but reluctantly accepted it. However, my original point was that passengers also need this facility if they are to rely on bus services.

As regards the use of two-way radio control , the old LCPT introduced this in the mid 1960s. By the time of bus deregulation every MPTE vehicle was so equipped. I suspect that the main reason why Merseyside bus operators, even Arriva and Stagecoach, don't fit two-way radios is simply down to cost. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that in other metropolitan areas such as Manchester and Birmingham the PTE pay for and maintain the two-way radio communication.
First Manchester will be introducing GPS technology to buses later this year with passengers able to track the locations of buses via the FirstBus app.

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/greater_...791&conf=0

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)