Current time: 29/03/2024, 06:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Do you use free WiFi onboard buses?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Onboard Wi-Fi
Onboard Wi-Fi
I'm currently compiling a blog post on the free WiFi that is provided to passengers on the likes of the Cymru Coastliner, Sapphire and Cross River services with Arriva and buses throughout the North West with First Manchester and Stagecoach. I'm unsure as to how many people use the WiFi on buses but I assume some others will possibly do.

I myself personally always like to connect to the WiFi where avalible, through the last year where it's started to become the norm. I've noticed quite a few vehicles particularly with Arriva that the WiFi isn't working or fails to connect due to one problem or another.

Maybe we could have a log of buses that have been sampled where WiFi is working and buses where the WiFi isn't working as it should?

I was recently on Arriva Buses Wales Sapphire Enviro400's, namely 4402 and 4410 both of which the WiFi was working without fault, then I sampled ABW Sapphire spare 2799, again advertised with free WiFi although it couldn't connect. Lastly I sampled ABW Optare Versas 998 and 999 both of which the WiFi failed to connect.

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Onboard WiFi
I've had problems with Arriva's WIFI namely on Cross River services. The main problem being unable to get any online services from it whatsoever. Another thought going through my mind is the question of bandwith, with most people using devices to say watch HD video content or download apps, this could slow down what is left for others to use. I know Virgin Trains ask people to use their WIFI sparingly and refrain from doing power hungry tasks over their network.
Find all posts by this user
(09/01/2014 02:45)R557 ABA Wrote:  I'm currently compiling a blog post on the free WiFi that is provided to passengers on the likes of the Cymru Coastliner, Sapphire and Cross River services with Arriva and buses throughout the North West with First Manchester and Stagecoach. I'm unsure as to how many people use the WiFi on buses but I assume some others will possibly do.

I myself personally always like to connect to the WiFi where avalible, through the last year where it's started to become the norm. I've noticed quite a few vehicles particularly with Arriva that the WiFi isn't working or fails to connect due to one problem or another.

Maybe we could have a log of buses that have been sampled where WiFi is working and buses where the WiFi isn't working as it should?

I was recently on Arriva Buses Wales Sapphire Enviro400's, namely 4402 and 4410 both of which the WiFi was working without fault, then I sampled ABW Sapphire spare 2799, again advertised with free WiFi although it couldn't connect. Lastly I sampled ABW Optare Versas 998 and 999 both of which the WiFi failed to connect.

never realised that 998 & 999 had wi-fi I presume recently fitted?
(03/02/2014 10:22)E208 WBG Wrote:  never realised that 998 & 999 had wi-fi I presume recently fitted?

I'm not sure they were fitted out with WiFi when they were still in their Crosville derived revised livery, but I know Arriva started to advertise them with WiFi when they were repainted.

(09/01/2014 08:30)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Another thought going through my mind is the question of bandwith, with most people using devices to say watch HD video content or download apps, this could slow down what is left for others to use. I know Virgin Trains ask people to use their WIFI sparingly and refrain from doing power hungry tasks over their network.

I recall having a conversation with someone from Icomera (who provide the onboard WiFi service) at Bus & Coach Live last year, they use a mix of 2G/3G/4G as well as GPRS, EDGE, 3G, EV-DO, HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE to stay connected, most operators use mobile networks on contracts with T-Mobile/Orange/EE or Vodafone.

In keeping with this thread, Stagecoach Merseyside & South Lancashire have recently installed free WiFi to their ADL Enviro 400's at Birkenhead for the 471/472 services as well as the ADL Dart SLF's on the X22 service. It hasn't been working since being installed, however today was the first time I was able to connect on a 471 bound for Liverpool, they use the same Icomera Moovbox that Arriva North West have installed on their buses.

It's interesting to see that Arriva have opted to have the Icomera Moovbox installed on all new-builds this year, I think it probably goes without saying that WiFi is to become the standard offering from Arriva in the future.

(09/04/2014 12:45)R557 ABA Wrote:  It's interesting to see that Arriva have opted to have the Icomera Moovbox installed on all new-builds this year, I think it probably goes without saying that WiFi is to become the standard offering from Arriva in the future.

Its that little added extra's , but is it going to be reliable , i have seen enough Wi-fi networks that dont seem to be able to cope with demand.
(09/04/2014 13:49)wirralbus Wrote:  Its that little added extra's , but is it going to be reliable , i have seen enough Wi-fi networks that dont seem to be able to cope with demand.

I totally agree, it feels like some of the Cross River hybrid's WiFi seems to go to a dead stop if there are several people connected at the same time, hopefully they'll notice the blackouts of the routers and come up with a solution.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)