Current time: 18/04/2024, 11:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
(06/01/2019 18:10)wirralbus Wrote:  ... but it needs the operators not to tread on each other in the process , bus wars should never happen again.

But that is EXACTLY what was intended and promoted by the 1985 Act. The then Thatcher government advocated private competition to break up state monopolies (PTEs, LAs and NBCs) and encouraged bus wars throughout the UK apart from in London, of course. Don't you remember the chaos that followed?

What we have now is essentially a cartel of large private monopolies in 95% of the UK. The current government's ideology is even more in favour of free market competition and deregulation in all aspects of everyday life so to suggest that competition in provision of bus services ends is fanciful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(07/01/2019 09:47)Barney Wrote:  But that is EXACTLY what was intended and promoted by the 1985 Act. The then Thatcher government advocated private competition to break up state monopolies (PTEs, LAs and NBCs) and encouraged bus wars throughout the UK apart from in London, of course. Don't you remember the chaos that followed?

What we have now is essentially a cartel of large private monopolies in 95% of the UK. The current government's ideology is even more in favour of free market competition and deregulation in all aspects of everyday life so to suggest that competition in provision of bus services ends is fanciful.
Did we have a separate thread for Bus Reform, mainly geared to GM? If so, should this be expanded to include LCR to compare the current Operating conditions and the Mayor's/LAs progress?
One of the VLW Geminis is on the 407

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(09/01/2019 10:55)MTL0201 Wrote:  One of the VLW Geminis is on the 407
Will be 4211 as its the only one in Service

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
If anyone knows where 2579,2581 & 2599 are do please let me know they are the last Commanders I’ve yet to ride at Birkenhead.
(10/01/2019 11:42)darylyates17 Wrote:  If anyone knows where 2579,2581 & 2599 are do please let me know they are the last Commanders I’ve yet to ride at Birkenhead.

2581 is on 418
2599 is on 409
(10/01/2019 12:28)N304CLV Wrote:  2581 is on 418
2599 is on 409

Thanks pal
6003 is on the 437

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
4176 on 495 today.Also at 3 streetlites NOT on 487 ,6003 on 413 and two others on 410/1.Pulsar 3007 on 487.
Will additional deckers be needed for Monday's extension of the 407?

User(s) browsing this thread: 7 Guest(s)