Current time: 18/04/2024, 07:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
Is there any news on a replacement for the 492/5 evening Sunday service? Arriva seemingly reducing PVR for 408/9 when extra buses are needed, Merseytravel STILL haven’t replaced 124/5. I’m aware this is not arriva’s concern but my assumption was Merseytravel would subsidise an evening and Sunday service on both routes, and I imagine this would be easier to use arriva.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(08/12/2018 21:24)mrd97 Wrote:  Is there any news on a replacement for the 492/5 evening Sunday service? Arriva seemingly reducing PVR for 408/9 when extra buses are needed, Merseytravel STILL haven’t replaced 124/5. I’m aware this is not arriva’s concern but my assumption was Merseytravel would subsidise an evening and Sunday service on both routes, and I imagine this would be easier to use arriva.

It’d only be easier to use Arriva if a) Arriva have sufficient drivers/vehicles to operate those routes, b) Merseytravel has the money to pay the subsidy needed and c) that subsidy is not too large.

Having used the 124/125 a couple of times before it’s demise, it wasn’t exactly busy, and I’d imagine the subsidy would be fairly large. Can’t comment on the 492/495, but I suspect the reason neither of theses have yet been reinstated is down to neither Arriva or Stagecoach having either the resources or inclination to pick up what may well be unremunative contracts.
(08/12/2018 19:55)iMarkeh Wrote:  You can not cut the PVR at all by cutting Seacombe to Birkenhead. Not unless you cut back on other parts of the route. If it was cut back to Liscard, it can drop 1 bus but that all depends on how busy Liscard - Birkenhead is. I don't think Arrivas main thought is covering every road when they drop a service. They see route 423 makes £x. Let's cut it back as it doesn't make enough for us.

We must remember the 423 has started at Seacombe Ferry before any of these recent changes to serve the Four Bridges. The re-routing to Birkenhead Bus Station was to provide a service over the Four Bridges to provide a service to the likes of the Contact Centre on Tower Wharf. This is the company pulling out of an area that passengers infrequently use. Likewise, if the 408 was to be withdrawn, it'd be no great loss for this area in the daytime as the 409 would still traverse Tower Road and the implications would obviously be further along the route such as Poulton Road/Breck Road. It'll be interesting to see what will come of future route developments.

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(09/12/2018 11:02)R557 ABA Wrote:  We must remember the 423 has started at Seacombe Ferry before any of these recent changes to serve the Four Bridges. The re-routing to Birkenhead Bus Station was to provide a service over the Four Bridges to provide a service to the likes of the Contact Centre on Tower Wharf. This is the company pulling out of an area that passengers infrequently use. Likewise, if the 408 was to be withdrawn, it'd be no great loss for this area in the daytime as the 409 would still traverse Tower Road and the implications would obviously be further along the route such as Poulton Road/Breck Road. It'll be interesting to see what will come of future route developments.

As I understand it a deal was done with Arriva/Merseytravel/TCC for the 423 to cover the Four Bridges section evening/Sunday. Maybe this is ending?

The 408 is clearly doomed. Poulton Rd is served by the 433 and sadly in the current climate this will no doubt be deemed adequate enough coverage.

I very much doubt the 411 will divert away from Brighton St/King St as someone else stated. An idea could be to have a circular section via Church Rd, Liscard, Seaview Rd, Mount Rd, NB, Seabank Rd, King St and v.v? 411/411A?
Have to admit the 423 is one of my local routes i hate it going to Birkenhead, as with the tight turn around time, late buses towards Birkenhead are going to be late on the return journey, as terminating/starting at Seacombe gives buses plenty of layover if they're running late, although it's not as bad as the early to mid 00s, when you could often be waiting 90 minutes or more for a 423, when it was first extended to Liverpool, having said that reliability seems to be good at the mo on the 423, the bus i was on last night 18.10 ex Liverpool ended up 5 early at Wallasey Village.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Merseytravel has announced on it's website the 408 will be withdrawn from the January timetable change and the 409 will revert back to it's original route

https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/about-us...ation.aspx
As has already been discussed many times merseytravel do not have the money to simply replace routes anymore so unless arriva or stagecoach want to do commercial or low cost contract like 204 and 136/235 or there are alternative funding sources the 239/101 they will not be replaced
(10/12/2018 13:36)Walton 46 Wrote:  Merseytravel has announced on it's website the 408 will be withdrawn from the January timetable change and the 409 will revert back to it's original route

https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/about-us...ation.aspx

New timetables for 409/411 up.

409 back to original route.

411 now omits Dock Rd, Park Stn and is instead routed via Four Bridges, Exmouth St effectively covering the 408 bit into town. Not sure that’s going to be a popular move..
Noticed last night, buses on the 423 are starting to have via Moreton on the displays

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(11/12/2018 11:07)DVG526 Wrote:  New timetables for 409/411 up.

409 back to original route.

411 now omits Dock Rd, Park Stn and is instead routed via Four Bridges, Exmouth St effectively covering the 408 bit into town. Not sure that’s going to be a popular move..

Why have they done that given the 409 is doing the exact same loop? Do they want it to be like every 15 between Seacombe and Birkenhead via Woodside?

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)