Current time: 25/04/2024, 14:31 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TransPennine Express
RE: TransPennine Express
(29/07/2017 05:04)wirralbus Wrote:  There will never be an easy away around the Leeds - York as there is a depot for TransPennine at York , the problem area every time i have travelled on Transpennine always seems to be between Huddersfield and Leeds .

With Huddersfield-Leeds it's not just commuters or short distance leisure travelers who are the issue. With there being no direct services from Huddersfield to the Midlands or South and the service to Sheffield being an hourly all-stops and the Wakefield service being infrequent (and soon to be curtailed so it won't even go to Westgate) it means the majority of long distance travelers going from Huddersfield start their journey by taking TPE to Leeds.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
This is a nationwide problem, with far too many local flows catered for by what should be "Inter-City" services.
Providing infrastructure to allow the provision of proper local services would be a far better investment than HS2.
(29/07/2017 10:00)knutstransport Wrote:  With Huddersfield-Leeds it's not just commuters or short distance leisure travelers who are the issue. With there being no direct services from Huddersfield to the Midlands or South and the service to Sheffield being an hourly all-stops and the Wakefield service being infrequent (and soon to be curtailed so it won't even go to Westgate) it means the majority of long distance travelers going from Huddersfield start their journey by taking TPE to Leeds.

I often find when I return from a day out in Leeds that the train is packed as far as Huddersfield, but that it is easier to get a seat from there.
Its the one point of a TransPennine journey i hate is the sardine can conditions on some journeys between Huddersfield and Leeds.

Its not quite to the Nottingham - Manchester conditions before that became 4 coaches on EMT though.
(05/08/2017 18:52)wirralbus Wrote:  Its the one point of a TransPennine journey i hate is the sardine can conditions on some journeys between Huddersfield and Leeds.

Its not quite to the Nottingham - Manchester conditions before that became 4 coaches on EMT though.

There's been two occasions when I've been unable to board an eastbound TPE train at Leeds and had to wait for the next service. I've never had that on the Liverpool to Nottingham route but have been on trains with sardine like conditions.
You hadnt tried the Manchester - Sheffield before the introduction of the extra unit being made available at Nottingham , it was regularly extremely full .

One major problem that TPE had was they where refused permission to seek extra trailer coaches by the DfT a while back , which would have sorted the organic growth at the time .
(06/08/2017 12:28)wirralbus Wrote:  You hadnt tried the Manchester - Sheffield before the introduction of the extra unit being made available at Nottingham , it was regularly extremely full .

Incorrect. I've travelled on 2 car 158s on that route, as well as 3 and 4 car 158s and 2 and 3 car 170s (obviously 3 carriage trains and 170s were quite a while ago now!)
A TPE replacement coach service being operated by Accrington based Rigby’s Executive Coaches lost a wheel while travelling on the M62 yesterday: http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/84-year-o...n-13439495
(07/08/2017 09:53)knutstransport Wrote:  Incorrect. I've travelled on 2 car 158s on that route, as well as 3 and 4 car 158s and 2 and 3 car 170s (obviously 3 carriage trains and 170s were quite a while ago now!)

Then if thats the case why did EMT see fit to add an extra class 158 unit from Nottingham - Liverpool on there services to and from Norwich.
(07/08/2017 10:44)wirralbus Wrote:  Then if thats the case why did EMT see fit to add an extra class 158 unit from Nottingham - Liverpool on there services to and from Norwich.

Did you actually read what I said? I said I've never been refused entry to the train but have suffered from sardine like conditions on board. In contrast on North TPE I've experienced both.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)