Current time: 20/04/2024, 10:04 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Get me there and Contactless card payment
RE: Get me there and Contactless card payment
(15/01/2021 19:07)Mayneway Wrote:  I’d love to know what he’s been taking. His responses are getting funnier and funnier. It’s the company’s fault fraudsters want to rip us all off. Classic

If only there was a like button.. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(15/01/2021 19:54)iMarkeh Wrote:  More companies should look in depth at the app to smartcard tickets via NFC. A lot of people like the convenience of paying by phone but don't like using the phone as a ticket (phones die and stuff like that). By using the transfer to smartcard via NFC method, people pay in the most convenient way and have the security of the smartcard.

That is the way forward I think. It's already being done on trains and by some bus apps. This would be a win, win. Less people paying by contactless onboard (which reduces the risk of payments bouncing) which then speeds up dwell times and I don't think there would be any ongoing cost with it either. The benefits to the customer are above.

I agree with you there.

I like the thought of being able to use your phone as a personal ticket machine - the marvels of technology! I’m definitely a fan of the smartcard idea, as apps can be unreliable (Arriva’s new app being a prime example - Ive had to have my ticket sent to me 3 times by CS).

Better for drivers as well not having to faff with the machine trying to find a specific ticket, as like has been said already, drivers’ jobs are stressful enough.
(15/01/2021 21:35)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  I agree with you there.

I like the thought of being able to use your phone as a personal ticket machine - the marvels of technology! I’m definitely a fan of the smartcard idea, as apps can be unreliable (Arriva’s new app being a prime example - Ive had to have my ticket sent to me 3 times by CS).

Better for drivers as well not having to faff with the machine trying to find a specific ticket, as like has been said already, drivers’ jobs are stressful enough.

Smart card is deffiantly better than an app. I find it slows boarding right down as most punters wait till they step onto the bus before they start unlocking their phone and going into the app etc.
(15/01/2021 22:21)Mayneway Wrote:  Smart card is deffiantly better than an app. I find it slows boarding right down as most punters wait till they step onto the bus before they start unlocking their phone and going into the app etc.
I suppose that's another joy of using the app for payment and then moving the ticket to the smartcard.
(15/01/2021 22:21)Mayneway Wrote:  Smart card is deffiantly better than an app. I find it slows boarding right down as most punters wait till they step onto the bus before they start unlocking their phone and going into the app etc.

Yeah I’ve experienced that as well, at least you can’t go wrong with a card - literally Tap & Go.

The only problem I have with them is when topping up a Mersey Weekly on a Walrus/MetroCard, it’s such a faff to put the Walrus card on, then swap to payment card, swap again to the Walrus card to add the ticket, then tap it again to register the journey.

That is one of the biggest slow downs on a Monday morning and I wish there was a way to streamline it, as Stagecoach seem to have it down well.
(15/01/2021 23:01)iMarkeh Wrote:  I suppose that's another joy of using the app for payment and then moving the ticket to the smartcard.

Would be great if it was possible, especially for Merseytravel tickets, as some PayPoints don’t have a clue, or outright refuse to top them up. Or don’t have the cards.
(15/01/2021 18:49)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  I know you can buy Get Me There tickets for the Metrolink via their app. I think there should be a push for other products to be sold this way, which will help the fraud problem. Especially if QR Code verification is in place, which it is for most if not all operators in Greater Manchester

In West Yorkshire, Metro has recently launched a MCard (West Yorkshire equivalent of Getmethere) Mobile app to allow people to buy their MCard tickets as an m-ticket rather than a Smartcard ticket. There is also an app available where smartcard tickets can be loaded onto the smartcard via NFC. Does feel like a case of "if they can do it, why can we in Greater Manchester?"

https://www.m-card.co.uk/mcard-mobile-app/

The getmethere app does need to be expanded to allow bus tickets or multi-mode tickets to be bought via mobile apps. I know the app was created as a stop-gap measure while TfGM worked on developing the smartcard and the readers at the stops for tap and go (smart card or contactless) but feel like they could have expanded the app more, particularly as in the last year, we've seen operators encouraging passengers to use contactless and m-tickets more.
(16/01/2021 13:52)SF07 Wrote:  In West Yorkshire, Metro has recently launched a MCard (West Yorkshire equivalent of Getmethere) Mobile app to allow people to buy their MCard tickets as an m-ticket rather than a Smartcard ticket. There is also an app available where smartcard tickets can be loaded onto the smartcard via NFC. Does feel like a case of "if they can do it, why can we in Greater Manchester?"

https://www.m-card.co.uk/mcard-mobile-app/

The getmethere app does need to be expanded to allow bus tickets or multi-mode tickets to be bought via mobile apps. I know the app was created as a stop-gap measure while TfGM worked on developing the smartcard and the readers at the stops for tap and go (smart card or contactless) but feel like they could have expanded the app more, particularly as in the last year, we've seen operators encouraging passengers to use contactless and m-tickets more.

Yeah it would be great to see this developed further, it’s definitely a key part of future travel. It does, as you say, feel like a case of “if they can do it why can’t we?”. If we can purchase on our phone and add to a smartcard, that saves many a trip to a travel shop or PayPoint. You’d think the cities would have this down to a T, but I guess some areas have more enthusiastic developers than others.
(16/01/2021 13:52)SF07 Wrote:  The getmethere app does need to be expanded to allow bus tickets or multi-mode tickets to be bought via mobile apps. I know the app was created as a stop-gap measure while TfGM worked on developing the smartcard and the readers at the stops for tap and go (smart card or contactless) but feel like they could have expanded the app more, particularly as in the last year, we've seen operators encouraging passengers to use contactless and m-tickets more.

I think that the SystemOne / getmethere system needs sorting full stop.

It is disappointing that they don't have annual any-bus tickets anymore (the only one they do have is the County Card which due to the reduced train services and most places shut is no useful at the moment).

Likewise they got rid of the buscard extra ticket that meant you could get bus travel with a train/tram ticket over a certain price and don't have any bus and tram season / peak tickets.

Whilst I wouldn't be happy with using an app for monthly or annual tickets (prefer to have a paper-based receipt should there be an technical issue), for a weekly ticket it could theoretically be wiped off or refunded - like how when I bought a getmethere weekly the driver put a Stagecoach ticket on it instead.

One of the advantage of the SystemOne tickets is that it does have photo ID that links to the number on the ticket. Whilst it potentially adds a little extra work for drivers when selling tickets or processing passengers, it was theorectically more secure than getmethere.

In my experience with PayPoint, I have had issues with convience stores refusing to process card payments (saying that they are losing money from the transaction) that during this pandemic I have solely been buying the £70 4-weekly tickets from Travelshops.
I have heard that you can load mulitple tickets on the ticket for one to follow another, but as I have two cards anyway I just alternate between the two.

Unfortunately those that do depend on buying weekly tickets may not be close to a PayPoint/Travelshop to buy it in advance and may not have the ability/need to buy longer length tickets. By forcing cash only it risks the passengers not getting their 50p refund from £20 and potentially getting charged at their nearest cash machine.

Play City Bus Manager? I've compiled collections from different bus mods helpfully created by the community:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/dounowhoia...id=1364210

Play "Bus Simulator 18" on PC, check out my "Finglands" bus mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...2122981042
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)