Current time: 18/04/2024, 01:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oakwood Travel (Classic Bus North West)
RE: Classic Bus North West
Thought the metrorider is withdrawn
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(25/10/2013 07:33)E208 WBG Wrote:  Thought the metrorider is withdrawn

The list does say that at the bottom Andy... Contract
LCC leaflet now out for December including the changes involving the introduction of the 80:

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/w...=29241&e=e

Click on appropriate link.

Interesting to note that part subsidised/part commercial Evening & Sunday journeys are also introduced.
Going off topic sort of but I've just tried downloading the December 2013 Bus Services Changes Lancashire Council website http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/w...?id=107641 and its just coming up with The Connection was reset no sooner I've clicked on it, don't know if there's a fault with the file but it also set my virus killer off as well
Runs fine at my end.
what anti-virus was it and did it come up with a particular message?
I sampled the RedRocket service today. One thing to mention first was the "booking process". I was mislead by signs in Blackpool Central Coach Station that tickets had to be pre-booked in the ticket office before boarding when people were boarding the bus and paying with ease! This led to the woman in the ticket office being ran off of her feet whilst people were rushing around to purchase tickets at the last minute... Also, people who had pre-booked seats in advance to guarantee the space were worrying about actually getting a seat on-board.

Firstly, I rode on the 10:30 Blackpool to Manchester journey - operated by Volvo B10M/Alexander PS R899 XVM (899). This journey seemed to be very popular, with a huge crowd of awaiting passengers. The bus initially arrived a few minutes before its departure time, but then left nearly 10 minutes late due to the huge demand. It left Blackpool fully-seated having unfortunately left a few passengers (a group with a pram) behind (they had to travel on the next journey). 899 itself was nothing short of hell - cramped legroom and seat height, horrific suspension, sweltering heat (very, very uncomfortable on a full bus) and an alarm buzzing on the motorway of all places (I was later told by another driver that the bus was probably overheating and has done so on the service in the past). Passengers didn't seem to enjoy the experience. Eventually, after a good handful of passengers alighted at The Trafford Centre Bus Station, we arrived in Manchester (at the wrong alighting point, where the driver said to board for the return journey) a few minutes down.

I only planned a short visit to Manchester as I thought that the service was operated by just two buses (thus catching the next one to sample both vehicles). Unfortunately, there were three buses on the service. I expected my return journey (13:30) to be operated by a bendi-bus, but Crusader W611 CWX arrived (at the correct boarding point after spending the majority of my "visit" looking for it!). This was really nice (smart interior, although I don't like the way that its previous operator's decals and external livery have remained without proper ClassicBus decals) in comparison to 899 and was empty (apart from me and a friend) for the whole journey.

The RedRocket leaflet that I was given upon acquiring my tickets stated the following:
- Bendy bus (didn't have one on both occasions - apparently, one of the two that was missing is undergoing a service and the other has developed a fault after having a service!)
- Free wifi (non-existent on my journeys)
- Temp control (not sure what this means but 899 was very warm and uncomfortable if it relates to temperature)
- Chauffeur driven (generally, this did happen)
- Electric windows (none on my journeys!)
- Buggy friendly (not in 899's case)
- Wheelchair friendly (again, not in 899's case!)
- Luggage friendly (there was little room for luggage on-board packed 899, so I dread to think of the crowds being on that bus on their return journey with shopping [there was on W611 CWX due to it being empty])
- CCTV fitted (on both journeys, this was true)
Most of these advertisements, as you can see, were not what the actual service provided. So, overall, I'm not entirely pleased with the level of service that I received and am not planning to use the service again in the foreseeable future (what could have been an enjoyable experience turned out to be a living hell in some parts). However, the drivers of both buses were extremely helpful and a credit to the industry. Apparently, the level of demand was not expected today as numbers have been relatively low since the start. I really do hope that lessons have been learned and that the company will be prepared to take their customers in better conditions and as advertised in the future.

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
It sounds like its the start of the Christmas Shopping rush now and the company may need to look at what can be done to make the journey as comfortable as possible , as those sort of passengers will be put off by the cramped hot conditions and may not decide to use it again.

As you say though its hard to gauge demand on a service like that , but the drivers should be funnelling the feedback to management .
All aboard the late night 22.

http://busestractionengines.blogspot.co....ht-22.html

Credit: Buses, Train, Traction Engines & Trams Blog.
(16/11/2013 22:21)KU02 YUH Wrote:  an alarm buzzing on the motorway of all places (I was later told by another driver that the bus was probably overheating and has done so on the service in the past).

Probably because the radiator vents needed cleaning. Being a mid-engined bus, they can pick up a lot of muck and dirt in the vents from the gutter. Beneath the vent body panel is a mesh grille, which need to be cleaned pretty frequently. All it needs is for it to be unclipped and attacked with a jet hose!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)