Current time: 16/04/2024, 11:02 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva Buses Wales - Chester Depot
RE: Arriva Buses Wales - Chester Depot
(11/09/2018 07:45)knutstransport Wrote:  GHA used to operate a mainly half-hourly service, so it might be the lower frequency makes it less attractive. GHA also seemed to make out Tarvin-Chester was a significant flow when Routemaster started a C84 to replace withdrawn Arriva journeys so maybe if there were a lot of Tarvin passengers on a 2pm 82 service they now travel on the 14:07 84 service?
No, when I saw it busy it was the Arriva Saph decker back when Frodsham Street was closed. (the closure of Frodsham street is only mentioned to give a rough time period).

(11/09/2018 07:48)knutstransport Wrote:  Warrington don't have a record of offering low costs for tendered services. They did used to do quite well at picking up village contracts in Cheshire by submitting a bid which would incorporate the requirement in to a through Warrington service e.g. Northwich to Lach Dennis as an extension of a Warrington-Northwich service, which presumably won on quality scoring rather than pricing.
Though they do want a lot for their buses, I wouldn't rule out Warrington. Didn't they win the TFGM tender in Wigan which was standalone? They do seem to be taking on a lot more work. Whether that be because they are desperate for money with council cuts or whether that is due to them realising there is a lot more ways to make money using vehicles with would normally just be say in the depot, I don't know but looking at all the rails and schools they are now running, i would give them a chance. Not a big one but I do think they might be in the running (they have the spare buses which others don't really have)

(11/09/2018 08:05)dca529x Wrote:  The comments re Howards are I think a little unfair. They are a business and have to make a profit, but they do/did provide a quality service which is a step up from most in the CEC area. CEC has demonstrated quite graphically it's spectacular disinterest in bus service provision and nothing will change there. The lowest cost/absolute minimum service will win out.
Oh yes, I do agree. They are a business out to make a profit. No argument there. Though they provide a quality service, that means less and less in recent years. Cost is where councils look. GHA, RJ of Wem, EasyCoach for example. It isn't just CEC who will go for the lowest cost. Almost all councils do. I think part of the thing is that Howards lease in their buses for service where as other bus companies own the buses they use on tenders. Leasing the buses will increase their cost. I don't know their drivers wage but I would assume higher than average for an independant.

You can make a profit putting in low. You just don't make as much profit. I suppose its a weigh up of 1 tender at £10k profit or 3 tenders at £4k profit. Do you put all your eggs in one basket and try to make a lot on one tender or do you focus on lots of little tenders which can make the same if not more money. D&G, HTL and Avon make a lot from this way of working.

(11/09/2018 10:33)Conbus Wrote:  I can see stagecoach taking this route on to be honest
Unless they use the 9 bus and the G3 bus, there is no space. 1 solo and 1 dart would be interesting on the 82 to say the least. I have heard some things about Stagecoach tendering and if they are true, Stagecoach might be out the running before they have started (Look at the loss of the G3, stagecoach wouldn't lose a contract when they are on such a winning streak. Arriva would not have undercut as they never do)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Arriva Buses Wales - Chester Depot - iMarkeh - 11/09/2018 14:59

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)