Current time: 20/04/2024, 01:44 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Should Merseyrail expand to Wigan?
This poll is closed.
Yes 46.67% 7 46.67%
No 26.67% 4 26.67%
Only as far as Skelmersdale 26.67% 4 26.67%
Total 15 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Future Rail Projects
RE: Future Rail Projects
There used to be a line between Ormskirk and skem but I think it has been built on over the years since being closed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Didnt they want to run a service from Ormskirk to Southport also via a disused curve at Burscough.
(18/12/2012 06:56)Peterw Wrote:  There used to be a line between Ormskirk and skem but I think it has been built on over the years since being closed.

The track bed between Ormskirk and Skem is mostly still there. I think the only section that's been completely built over is the ironically-titled Railway Road, which follows the track bed, going through Old Skem.

For a link to Skem to work to its' full potential, I feel a rail link has got to hit the town centre....somehow!!!!

The Beatles, Fountains Of Wayne, XTC, The Who, ELO

Power Pop For All
[font=Impact][/font]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(18/12/2012 07:55)wirralbus Wrote:  Didnt they want to run a service from Ormskirk to Southport also via a disused curve at Burscough.

Again the track bed is still intact, and to make some kind of physical link between Burscough and Burscough Junction would not take too much brain-scratching.

Merseytravel have made noises about this particular link coming to fruition.

Power Pop For All
[font=Impact][/font]
(17/12/2012 22:29)First Class Wrote:  
(17/12/2012 22:09)507009 Wrote:  I am definitely in favour of an extension to Headbolt Lane as is planned, which will benefit a sizeable proportion of Kirkby's population for whom the current station at Westvale is inconvenient and the bus service (20/21) under capacity. Wigan is a stretch too far though in my opinion, not being anywhere near Merseyside and an area with no real connection with the county. Skelmersdale is a different proposition, having considerable ties with Liverpool as an overspill town. However, I would've thought electrification via Ormskirk would be better.

With Headbolt Lane, altering the local station names would be preferable, perhaps Kirkby West and Kirkby East. It would be hard to get used to referring to the "Headbolt Lane line".

What about naming Headbolt Lane as Tower Hill? Rename Kirkby (Merseyside) as Kirkby Town. Ticketing wise you just create a new cluster "Kirkby Stns".

If it was extended to Wigan, it is likely to be most cost effective. GMPTE (TFGM) would probably be prepared to contribute to the project. The DfT could probably also be persuaded to contribute as it would free up 1-2 DMUs for Northern, (which could benefit Southport-Wigan). I think Liverpool-Wigan is quite a sizeable market, bigger than Skem.

But isnt there already a regular Liverpool-Wigan service from Lime st to Wigan North Western? How cost effective would it be to replace a service that already exists against providing one that does not exist at all?
(18/12/2012 10:02)skelmersey Wrote:  
(17/12/2012 22:29)First Class Wrote:  
(17/12/2012 22:09)507009 Wrote:  I am definitely in favour of an extension to Headbolt Lane as is planned, which will benefit a sizeable proportion of Kirkby's population for whom the current station at Westvale is inconvenient and the bus service (20/21) under capacity. Wigan is a stretch too far though in my opinion, not being anywhere near Merseyside and an area with no real connection with the county. Skelmersdale is a different proposition, having considerable ties with Liverpool as an overspill town. However, I would've thought electrification via Ormskirk would be better.

With Headbolt Lane, altering the local station names would be preferable, perhaps Kirkby West and Kirkby East. It would be hard to get used to referring to the "Headbolt Lane line".

What about naming Headbolt Lane as Tower Hill? Rename Kirkby (Merseyside) as Kirkby Town. Ticketing wise you just create a new cluster "Kirkby Stns".

If it was extended to Wigan, it is likely to be most cost effective. GMPTE (TFGM) would probably be prepared to contribute to the project. The DfT could probably also be persuaded to contribute as it would free up 1-2 DMUs for Northern, (which could benefit Southport-Wigan). I think Liverpool-Wigan is quite a sizeable market, bigger than Skem.

But isnt there already a regular Liverpool-Wigan service from Lime st to Wigan North Western? How cost effective would it be to replace a service that already exists against providing one that does not exist at all?

The current Lime Street - Wigan North Western service is a victim of its' own success. The line is already working to capacity. There's a ready-made alternative that's so under-utilised it's untrue.

Remember, trains used to run direct between Wigan Wallgate and Liverpool Exchange before electrification to Kirkby. It could be seen as "righting a wrong", so to speak. Who knows?

Power Pop For All
[font=Impact][/font]
(18/12/2012 10:10)teenagewasteland Wrote:  
(18/12/2012 10:02)skelmersey Wrote:  
(17/12/2012 22:29)First Class Wrote:  What about naming Headbolt Lane as Tower Hill? Rename Kirkby (Merseyside) as Kirkby Town. Ticketing wise you just create a new cluster "Kirkby Stns".

The current Lime Street - Wigan North Western service is a victim of its' own success. The line is already working to capacity. There's a ready-made alternative that's so under-utilised it's untrue.

Remember, trains used to run direct between Wigan Wallgate and Liverpool Exchange before electrification to Kirkby. It could be seen as "righting a wrong", so to speak. Who knows?

Understood, but the investigation costing £150,000 (Lancs CC and Merseytravel footing this) is to find the best way of getting the rail link for Skem, it would be great if Merseyrail ran through to Wigan and Skem but in the real world its never going to happen.

As far as I can remember (was young at the time!) the Wigan-Exchange trains were well used and only declined when someone took a great big pair of scissors and snipped it at Kirkby, so I see your point.
(18/12/2012 06:47)wirralbus Wrote:  I always thought two of the long term aspirations on the Northern Line was extending from Hunts Cross to Warrington Central and from Ormskirk to Preston.

None of these extensions mooted can really take place till new stock is available as the units diagrams would be very stretched to say the least.

The only Wirral Line aspiration is down the mid wirral line but to where Woodchurch , Neston , Shotton or Wrexham .

Don't forget Ellesmere Port - Helsby - Runcorn... which, especially the Halton Curve section, has interested Merseytravel.
Wasnt the Halton curve earmarked for a Liverpool -Chester - Shrewsbury service , had heard noises that Arriva Trains Wales had wanted to operate back into Liverpool Lime street
(18/12/2012 10:00)teenagewasteland Wrote:  
(18/12/2012 07:55)wirralbus Wrote:  Didnt they want to run a service from Ormskirk to Southport also via a disused curve at Burscough.

Again the track bed is still intact, and to make some kind of physical link between Burscough and Burscough Junction would not take too much brain-scratching.

Merseytravel have made noises about this particular link coming to fruition.

The idea I've heard about is to build a new interchange station where the Wigan to Southport & Ormskirk to Preston lines cross.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)