Current time: 20/04/2024, 09:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

London Underground
RE: London Underground
The first train of non-defective C stock to go for scrapping will be sent to Northwood on 2 January 2013. Some of these may be units which can work as centre cars only. London Transport Yahoo Group reports that 5555 has not worked as a driving car for over ten years!

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Strike today - very limited service - messed up shoppers and the Arsenal match.
A relative of mine drives the 1972 stock on the bakerloo line and today, she went in. I think that it was out of order on behalf of the unions. "Back in the day", people just used to get on with it!
(27/12/2012 01:23)jtd508110 Wrote:  A relative of mine drives the 1972 stock on the bakerloo line and today, she went in. I think that it was out of order on behalf of the unions. "Back in the day", people just used to get on with it!

"Back in the day" your manager wasn't continually looking to reduce your terms and conditions.

I would certainly not work a Boxing Day for flat time. Regardless of my salary, I would expect at least double time and a day in lieu. A high paying job does not equate to selling your terms and conditions (and principals).

Would you work Boxing Day for single time? No alcohol on Christmas Day, in bed early on Christmas Day, up early Boxing Day? No mainline trains available to commute to work. Limited bus services etc.

If the world wasn't in such a rush to do such non-essential things like watching football, so called "sale" shopping etc over Christmas, the strike would not have been a problem anyway.
These 2 days are the only guaranteed days off for railway workers. Adapt to it or compensate them.
I'm sorry, but where I work, I was in yesterday, flat rate with my shift starting at 7am. I'm afraid that you're right that pointless things get in the way such as football, but some of us are able to get on with it. Some southeastern trains were running yesterday. My mother was in work on a 12 hour shift in a safety critical job, yet she could contain her drinking, as could I
(27/12/2012 22:42)jtd508110 Wrote:  I'm sorry, but where I work, I was in yesterday, flat rate with my shift starting at 7am. I'm afraid that you're right that pointless things get in the way such as football, but some of us are able to get on with it. Some southeastern trains were running yesterday. My mother was in work on a 12 hour shift in a safety critical job, yet she could contain her drinking, as could I

But that is entirely your problem/choice.

Maybe if you went on strike, you would find yourself with double time next year? All this rubbish about being "lucky to have a job" is spewed out by corporate entities to silence the workforce's demands. There are plenty of good jobs out there. Employees undervalue themselves though, as a result of what management tell them.

My pay has increased by about 30% in the last 2-3 years with my terms and conditions massively improved (Annual Leave, pensions, travel entitlements, working hours etc). Me and my colleagues are obviously worth that amount because:

a) They met our demands
b) They are still within Departmental budgets
c) I feel that I am paid fairly.

Had I worked in a non-unionised workplace, me and my colleagues would not have gotten such good employment packages.

Ironically, your own post sums up the problem with London Underground.

Southeastern staff get time and half + day in lieu for working Boxing Day, and is diagrammed on a "volunteer" basis, hence some, limited, services run.

London Underground want staff to be forced to work Boxing Day with no "compensation" for doing so.

You have to compare apples with apples, (i.e. rail with rail), rather than with whatever job you do.
I still think that strikes are not the way forward in the long term for the drivers because driverless technology on the underground has been debated from the 60's when the Victoria line was built
Stock sent to Northwood to go for scrapping on 1 January were 5515/6515, 5519/6519 and 5732/6732.

(03/01/2013 21:14)childwallblues Wrote:  Stock sent to Northwood to go for scrapping on 1 January were 5515/6515, 5519/6519 and 5732/6732.

This is confirmation that the replacement of C stock with S stock is underway. I am shocked about 5732/6732 being withdrawn as this is from the newer C77 batch. I shall be in London on Easter Monday but am not counting on riding an S7 by then.
(05/01/2013 06:24)Metroline1511 Wrote:  
(03/01/2013 21:14)childwallblues Wrote:  Stock sent to Northwood to go for scrapping on 1 January were 5515/6515, 5519/6519 and 5732/6732.

This is confirmation that the replacement of C stock with S stock is underway. I am shocked about 5732/6732 being withdrawn as this is from the newer C77 batch. I shall be in London on Easter Monday but am not counting on riding an S7 by then.
Reading between the lines on various websites C77 stock is particularly vulnerable.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)