Current time: 16/04/2024, 09:35 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Route History
RE: Route History
I remember CMT operating night buses on the Wirral.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Been looking at my old Crossville timetables and I've noticed there was a number of industrial services serving 'Thornton Offices'. Anyone know where abouts they were?
(13/02/2021 12:30)Walton 46 Wrote:  Been looking at my old Crossville timetables and I've noticed there was a number of industrial services serving 'Thornton Offices'. Anyone know where abouts they were?

I think it was Shell main Offices Stanlow on Oil Sites Road accessed from Ellesmere Port (mostly) or Elton.
Looking into the Liverpool-St Helens-Ashton local routes, the main route was/is 320 Liverpool-Wigan now St Helens-Wigan but originally were a collective of routes

1 St Helens-Atherton via Haydock, Ashton. Platt Bridge, Hindley
7/8 St Helens-Thatto Heath-Rainhill-Prescot-Eccleston Park circulars
10 Liverpool-Prescot Oliver Lyme Road
10D Liverpool-Longview
There was a 510 Liverpool-Prescot awhich was a limited stop version of the 10 but was withdrawn in the late 70s

1/7/8/10D were withdrawn at d-reg, 7 & 8 replaced by extending the 10 via Eccleston Park to St Helens & introducing a 10A replacing the 7/8 via Rainhill & Thatto Heath, a 10C was introduced Liverpool-Prescot Thomas Drive.

The 1 was partly replaced by the 2 St Helens-Ashton

The 10C was withdrawn in the summer 91 changes, with the 10 increased in frequency to compensate

I'm not sure when the 510 was introduced but think that was initially Liverpool-Wigan via St Helens & Billinge

The GM Buses wars, the 10 was extended to Manchester, with 510 extended to Bolton, before being cut to operate Liverpool-Wigan/Ashton, i think the 2 was withdrawn when the 10 was extended

The Arriva review of services after they took over MTL, i think the 510 was withdrawn then, 10 cut to Liverpool-St Helens with the Ashton extension being replaced by extra St Helens- Ashton journeys on the 320

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Just to fill in a little gap - a 10X was introduced in 1991(presumably to compete with the 320) between Liverpool and St Helens. Don't think it was too long before it was renumbered 510. Then there was various extensions in the years afterwards. Not sure on dates but think it was first to Wigan, then Bolton (and plenty of other places during the bus wars). Think it continued into the late 90s as it ran with a combined frequency with the 62 between Wigan and St Helens. I also can recall the 10s in the late 90s running through to Earlestown via Haydock (usually where the Leyland National 2's could be found in their twilight years).
10X Liverpool-St Helens was introduced in the 1991 changes.

I think the 510 was first extended to Wigan via Billinge, think Bolton was the furthest extent it was extended too, then cut back to Wigan.

I have a December 1993 GMPTE network map, which annoyingly shows the 10 as going only to Leigh, via the 320 to Ashton then 600 to Leigh, 510 only as far as Wigan, as by then the 10 was extended to Manchester, & 510 to Bolton, maybe given not enough time before the map went to print

For a time during the bus wars, routes would change to another number to get them into Manchester. For example, the 510 changed to a 68 at Bolton and I think the 10 changed to a 12.

I think the 10 in 93 did carry on to Bolton although there was a spell where it ran a very similar route to Blue Bus 620 between Ashton and Bolton, think this was when it ran through to Manchester. There were so many changes in that period, it can be quite difficult to remember all the variations.
Yep, i think the 10 went via the 36 Bolton-Manchester, seemed to go via the 582 Leigh-Bolton, may have done part of the Blue Bus 620, i think the 10 took 3 & a half hours end to end[certainly over 3 hours], the 10 may have interworked the 62X when that became Manchester-St Helens, i think it did interwork another route

If I remember correctly, the 62 at one point ran St Helens - Wigan - Leigh - Manchester. Wigan - Leigh via 658 route and Leigh - Manchester via 26 route. This may have been about the same time as Lancashire Travel ran their own 34's between St Helens and Manchester.
I have a GM Buses Swinton & Eccles area guide from March 1991, i never knew GM Buses published such guides, but routes in the guide are

7 Cadishead-Manchester Limited Stop
8 Bolton-Manchester, Limited Stop
9 Blackrod-Bolton-Manchester, Express
10 Warrington-Manchester
11 Cadishead-Manchester
12 Bolton-Manchester
13 Eccles-Westwood Park Circular
18 Clifton Junction-Peel Green
19 Swinton-Trafford Park

21 Eccles-Manchester
22 Bolton-Stockport
23 Clifton-Eccles
25 Bolton-Manchester
26 Leigh-Manchester, Limited Stop
28 Bolton-Manchester
30/31 Farnworth-Manchester
32 Wigan-Manchester, Express
33 Wigan-Manchester
34 Liverpool-Manchester, Express
35 Leigh-Manchester
36 Bolton-Manchester
37 Daisy Hill-Manchester
38 Hindley-Manchester
39 Leigh-Manchester

52 Failsworth-Old Trafford
55 Pendleton-Eccles
56 Swinton-Pendleton
63/64 Brookhouse-Manchester
65 Trafford Park-Cadishead
66 Peel Green-Manchester
67 Cadishead-Manchester
68 Farnworth-Manchester
69/70 Eccles-Manchester Circular
71 Swinton-Stretford
72 Clifton-Pendleton
74 Swinton-Stretford
89 Whitefield-Trafford Park

92 Bury-Ordsall/Trafford Park
127 Cadishead-Manchester
484 Eccles Radcliffe
549 Little Hulton-Trafford Park
550 Walkden-Farnworth
554 Eccles-Bolton
773 Swinton-Trafford Park

28 was the all stops version of the 8 & 9, & diverted via Pendleton Precinct

35 was the post d-reg version of the old 39 but Leigh-Manchester, the 39 was a new route operating peak hours only, went via the old 39 Leigh-Tyldesley, then via Mort Lane & Kenyon Way to Walkden & via 37/38 to Manchester

34 interworked the 32 when they arrived in Manchester

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)