Current time: 19/04/2024, 23:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Route History
RE: Route History
(21/10/2012 17:31)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Mention of 402 reminds me that after dereg, GM Buses ran an Express service 402 between Bolton - Leigh - Newton -Warrington. Don't think it lasted too long though.

Coming back to this, Lancashire United had a route, Bolton-Warrington numbered then 550, via 582 to Leigh then Newton Le Willows & Warrington, at d-reg Warrington Transport took over the service but cut it to operate Leigh-Warrington via Newton Le Willows, was then numbered 419, mostly to fit tin with Warringtons 19/420 routes[i think the 419 interworked the 19], 419 lasted well into the 90s, Warrington Transport always seem to allocate deckers[i remember the East Lancs Dominators] on the 419 even though it mostly carried fresh air

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(25/11/2019 22:38)MTL0201 Wrote:  Coming back to this, Lancashire United had a route, Bolton-Warrington numbered then 550, via 582 to Leigh then Newton Le Willows & Warrington, at d-reg Warrington Transport took over the service but cut it to operate Leigh-Warrington via Newton Le Willows, was then numbered 419, mostly to fit tin with Warringtons 19/420 routes[i think the 419 interworked the 19], 419 lasted well into the 90s, Warrington Transport always seem to allocate deckers[i remember the East Lancs Dominators] on the 419 even though it mostly carried fresh air
Also recall a brief spell when the Evening & Sunday 582's were extended to operate Bolton - Leigh - Newton. This was around the same time as the earlier mentioned 402 and was quite short lived.
(25/11/2019 23:54)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Also recall a brief spell when the Evening & Sunday 582's were extended to operate Bolton - Leigh - Newton. This was around the same time as the earlier mentioned 402 and was quite short lived.

I remember the 582 brief extension to Newton Le Willows, at the same time GM Buses called it something like the original 582[i remember getting a GM Buses only timetable leaflet at the time] as Ribble had a competing 582, the extension didn't last long though, & think Ribble may have withdrawn there 582 soon after the Stagecoach takeover of Ribble.

(25/10/2019 16:04)Walton 46 Wrote:  Just consulted my 1989 Cheshire Bus Guide. In that year, Crosville operated service 99; a Summer Sunday and bank holiday service from Liverpool to Jodrell Bank via Widnes, Warrington and Tatton Park. Bit of a longshot, but does anyone know when it was introduced, how long it lasted for and calling points?

It started on June 14th 1987 and ran Liverpool, Widnes and Warrington to Tatton Park, Capesthorne Hall, Jodrell Bank, Styal Country Park and Quarry Bank Mill. It was operated by Mersey Bus in that first year and finished for 1987 on October 4th.

It was one of 5 summer Sunday services Cheshire CC started that summer to coincide with the launch of the all operator Sunday Adventurer ticket.
Does anyone know what the original joblink routes were, started by Merseytravel 2004, numbered in the 8xx series, i remember Optare Aleros used on them on the Wirral, some routes i remember at the start
807 Leasowe/Moreton-Bromborough
810 New Brighton-Woodside
811 Leasowe/Moreton-Broughton
874 Upton-Broughton

811 used to be quite frequent about 6 to 7 journeys in both directions, with evening journey's, now it's 3 morning journeys with 2 return journeys in the evening peak

(25/11/2019 22:38)MTL0201 Wrote:  Coming back to this, Lancashire United had a route, Bolton-Warrington numbered then 550, via 582 to Leigh then Newton Le Willows & Warrington, at d-reg Warrington Transport took over the service but cut it to operate Leigh-Warrington via Newton Le Willows, was then numbered 419, mostly to fit tin with Warringtons 19/420 routes[i think the 419 interworked the 19], 419 lasted well into the 90s, Warrington Transport always seem to allocate deckers[i remember the East Lancs Dominators] on the 419 even though it mostly carried fresh air

Didn't Arriva have this route (Leigh-Newton-Warrington) in the early 2000s as the 319?
(30/11/2019 22:36)jcksmnr Wrote:  Didn't Arriva have this route (Leigh-Newton-Warrington) in the early 2000s as the 319?

They did indeed although it didn't last long.
Reading through this thread again finding it fascinating, looking at the post d-reg 47 Pier Head-Netherley, the route was via 86 to Upper Parliament Street, then went down Lodge Lane, Ullet Road, Smithdown Road & via current 174 to Belle Vale, although it didn't do the loop through Woolton, then via 79 to Netherley, this replaced the old 79A Childwall Fiveways-Belle Vale.

73 still operated after d-reg became Central Bus Station-Woolton, not sure when this was withdrawn

Funny when i look at old maps & timetables looking at long gone or abandoned terminuses, Georges Dock Way was used LCPT/MPTE era which was an overflow to the Pier Head, mostly for routes 73/73A/73B/79A/79E, nowadays the start/terminus for MTT running day Longview for 9C/10D/34/45 long abandoned but turning circle is still there, that's a taxi rank, as is Northern Perimeter Road in Netherton, where the 30/30A/55/A1 started/terminated

A1 was Netherton-Aintree Station, feeder service for Merseyrail

Another turning circle no longer used by service buses is Rainford Bridge Inn as previously used by thr 47 (and I think some short 329's pre-dereg).
Turning Circle Bootle Station Route 60

Possibly the oldest remaining turning circle that still exists is from the days before Strand Shopping Centre and Bus Station.
Routes 60 (to Dingle) and 81 terminated at Bootle Station/ Town Hall. Only the 60 turned in the circle as the 81 was across the road arriving via Merton Road and departing via Balliol Road. There was also a 60D and 50 along Oriel Road which terminated at Regent Road/ Millers Bridge but didn't use the circle.

Notably there was a gate from the Oriel Road platform straight onto the circle, less than 20 yds from train door to bus it was the most efficient Rail/Bus interchange I have ever seen. A subway from the circle is still in use but now fenced off from the station. At the time it gave speedy access from a bus to the other 3 platforms.

Plus of course there were through trains to London from Bootle prior to Electrification of the West Coast.

You could complete a round trip of the Overhead with less than 100 yds walking, 60 to Dingle, Overhead to Seaforth & Litherland and back to Bootle via the Southport line.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)