Current time: 24/04/2024, 16:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Route History
RE: Route History
The 130 was one of the routes Crosville won the tender for at d-reg, the route was cut short to operate Pier Head-Everton Valley.

20 has interesting history route PTE era was Aigburth Vale-Fazakerley Elmham Crescent, via 82C to Park Road, 26/27 to South John Street, then had it's own route in the City Centre to Vauxhall Road, then Vauxhall Road-Boundary Road & current 20 to Fazakerley

21 was introduced early 80s Aigburth Vale-Fazakerley as an experimental route, difference from the 20 was it went via the 82C & called at Hood Street Gyrotory, 21 also did the loop around Feild Lane in Fazakerley

At d-reg 20/21 were revised, 20 diverted to serve Berry Street & Renshaw Street & Hood Street Gyrotory, & extended to Northwood replacing the 157.

21 rerouted to serve Mill Street in Toxteth, then St James Street, South John Street/Paradise Street-Central Bus Station to Vauxhall Road via Exchange Street East then as 20 to Fazakerley but diverting via Westminster Road & Barlow Lane to Fazakerley Field Lane loop.

By February 1988, 20/21 had been revised to operate 20 Aigburth-Tower Hill, 21, Aigburth-Northwood, 20 most of the route unchanged, 21 still serving Mill Street, bus diverted via the 20 to Hood Street Gyrotory, then Scotland Road & still via Westminster Road

By 1990 apart from the 21 deviation in Toxteth both 20/21 operated common routes, now both via Scotland Road & County Road, Vauxhall Road & Westminster Road no longer served,

1991 20/21 were merged with the 82 to become 20 Speke-Tower Hill & 21 Speke-Northwood, my memory is a bit hazy from here until the Arriva take over but 20/21 were cut back mid 90s & 82 reintroduced, i think 20 was cut to Tower Hill-Aigburth, 21 Northwood City Centre

Not sure when the 20/21 became 1/2/20, 21 merging with the Fareway F1/F2, City Centre-Kirkby, 20 though had a few extensions to Garston, think back to Speke in the GTL era, before Stagecoach rationalised the routes to today's 20/21 City Centre- Tower Hill/Northwood

20/21 were always operated by Walton garage, until Walton closed in 89 then they moved to Gillmoss

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21 was extended at de-reg to go to Tower Hill and covered every town in Kirkby. Can't remember when 20 was extended but was after de-reg and not the same time as 21. 20 was then extended and sent to Tower Hill with 21 to Northwood. 1/2 came a lot later as initially the 1/2 was put in as Kirkby Circulars like the old 151/152.
My Liverpool bus map dated from 26th October 86, shows 21 was Aigburth-Fazakerley, & the 20 Aigburth-Northwood.

Originally Fareway F1/F2, F1 started spring/summer 87, F2 started in 88[as my February 88 map doesn't list F2, Merseybus responded with a 1/2 Pier Head-Fazakerley.

Merseybus introduced the 3 in response to Fareway F3, i think Merseybus rationalised the routes after they brought Fareway, to 1/2/20, F4/F5 became 4/5

18C has interesting history after d-reg, original route was Pier Head-Fazakerley, in the LCPT/PTE era there was also an 18D Pier Head-Lower Lane

In 1984, same time the 12/12A/12C became 12/12A/13/13A, the 18D merged with the 17D to become 7D/8D Pier Head-Lower Lane Circular, with a Saturday service via Great Homer Street numbered 7/8, this didn't last long being withdrawn summer 86, & replaced by 17D/18D, 18C/18D was withdrawn at d-reg,

18C made an re-appearance in the late 80s, mostly as a response to Fareway F8, & extended to Kirkby Station, 18C had a few chopping & extensions to Fazakerley or Kirkby, but Merseybus cut the route to City Centre-Fazakerley after they brought Fareway, & withdrew the F8, Arriva withdrew the 18C.

Route map is incorrect, other way around with 20/21 but 21 went to Tower Hill, this I'm certain as got it to school every day. Seem to remember 18 coming to Kirkby but not to Kirkby Station, however there was a 218 which did go, to Kirkby Station but was a little different to 18 was went Prescot Road, Shiel Road, then as 18 to Lorenzo where it went to Broadway. Then Utting Avenue to Lowerhouse Lane.towards Kirkby.

The 1/2 Kirkby Circulars were running in summer 1988 as I done work experience in Kirkby Ind Est and used the 1 to get there from T/Hill.
Thinking, does anyone have any archives anywhere, like Liverpool Central Library, i think Birkenhead Library used to have some stuff?

(29/05/2019 15:30)MTL0201 Wrote:  Thinking, does anyone have any archives anywhere, like Liverpool Central Library, i think Birkenhead Library used to have some stuff?

The Archive in Central Library has Merseytravel maps and timetables up until about 1987/88. Been to look at them a few times. It was during one visit I found out the 17 was briefly extended from Fazakerley to Bootle Strand via Bridle Road shortly after Merseybus was formed. Not sure how long it lasted though
(29/05/2019 16:03)Walton 46 Wrote:  The Archive in Central Library has Merseytravel maps and timetables up until about 1987/88. Been to look at them a few times. It was during one visit I found out the 17 was briefly extended from Fazakerley to Bootle Strand via Bridle Road shortly after Merseybus was formed. Not sure how long it lasted though

Must go & pay a visit one day, most likely be the end of next week, be even better if they could get the archive to PDFs available online.

Just had a look online & seems the archive room is by appointment only

(29/05/2019 17:45)MTL0201 Wrote:  Must go & pay a visit one day, most likely be the end of next week, be even better if they could get the archive to PDFs available online.

Just had a look online & seems the archive room is by appointment only

If you want to visit, it's two working days notice so they can fish out what you want to look at. You can take photos but you need to sign a permission slip on the day
(29/05/2019 08:20)Walton 46 Wrote:  The 30 started as Liverpool Corporation route between the City Centre and Aintree via Netherfield Road North/South. Not sure when it started but it is included in a 1960 Corpy timetable book I own. It was later extended to Netherton and in the late 70s/possibly early 80s, there was a 30/30A; one going to Old Roan and one going to Crosby via Thornton. Not sure what happened after d-reg but it re-emerged under Merseybus operating via the former Corpy 2 route between City Centre and Netherton via Scotland Road

In December 1975, MPTE introduced Ribble-operated L22/L23 Crosby-Fazakerley/Walton circulars via Thornton, Netherton and Aintree station. These routes sparked off trouble with PTE unions who claimed Ribble were taking work in traditional "green bus" areas, although as Ribble had an agreement with the PTE they could technically cover any route on Merseyside they were asked to. As a compromise, the PTE quickly withdrew L22/L23 and introduced an extended 30C between Pier Head and Crosby Bus Station, that covered the Walton section of the previous route, (the first ever PTE route to use this Ribble-owned terminus), whilst a Ribble 29 operated between Crosby and Fazakerley Hospital. 29 connected with inbound / outbound L3s at Crosby Bus Station, and through ticketing was available (probably interworked vehicles?). This arrangement stayed in place until October 1978, when L22/L23 were reintroduced, rerouted in Crosby to cover Waterloo Interchange, and 29 and 30C were withdrawn.

The Beatles, Fountains Of Wayne, XTC, The Who, ELO

Power Pop For All
[font=Impact][/font]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
I have nearly every merseytravel map and timetable since 1986 plus most of the weekly changes since then

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)