Current time: 25/04/2024, 09:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Route History
RE: Route History
(24/06/2018 11:12)MTL0201 Wrote:  Some reason i thought it was the 36 the 10 followed, i'd love to see the 10 timetable from that era though.

Think it changed a few times but fairly sure it started via the 12 route. May well have done the 36 route with subsequent changes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Seen a photo of the 10 going through Leigh, in the days it went to Manchester, not sure of the route now, but may have gone to Hindley then via the 598 to Leagh & 582 to Bolton

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(25/06/2018 04:18)MTL0201 Wrote:  Seen a photo of the 10 going through Leigh, in the days it went to Manchester, not sure of the route now, but may have gone to Hindley then via the 598 to Leagh & 582 to Bolton

I know for a while before it went to Manchester, it went as far as Bolton (Ashton - Leigh via 600 route, Leigh - Bolton via 582 route) but I remember when the 10 went to Manchester, at the same time Lancashire Travel introduced their own 34 from St Helens to Manchester.
62, Bootle-Penny Lane has interesting history.
LCT era was 92 Page Moss-Pier Head via Kirkby-Fazakerley-Walton.
MPTE era, the PTE cut it to Page Moss-Walton, before diverting the 92 to Bootle, then extending it to Crosby at one end & Huyton the other with alternate journeys going to Halewood via Belle Vale, at d-Reg the 92 was diverted at Fazakerley to Penny Lane replacing the 99.

At d-reg Merseytravel introduced a 192 Walton-Halewood replacing that section of the 92, think initially operated by Crosville, until Crosville closed Liverpool depot down, Merseybus introduced the 217 Pier Head-Halewood via Kirkby as a daytime replacement of the 192, 192 still operated eve & sun, when eve & sun 217 initially was Pier Head-Kirkby

Meanwhilst the main 92 went unchanged since d-reg, until Arriva brought MTL & renumbered it to 62, then a couple of years ago Arriva cut the route to Bootle North Park-Penny Lane.

(28/06/2018 08:03)MTL0201 Wrote:  62, Bootle-Penny Lane has interesting history.
LCT era was 92 Page Moss-Pier Head via Kirkby-Fazakerley-Walton.
MPTE era, the PTE cut it to Page Moss-Walton, before diverting the 92 to Bootle, then extending it to Crosby at one end & Huyton the other with alternate journeys going to Halewood via Belle Vale, at d-Reg the 92 was diverted at Fazakerley to Penny Lane replacing the 99.

At d-reg Merseytravel introduced a 192 Walton-Halewood replacing that section of the 92, think initially operated by Crosville, until Crosville closed Liverpool depot down, Merseybus introduced the 217 Pier Head-Halewood via Kirkby as a daytime replacement of the 192, 192 still operated eve & sun, when eve & sun 217 initially was Pier Head-Kirkby

Meanwhilst the main 92 went unchanged since d-reg, until Arriva brought MTL & renumbered it to 62, then a couple of years ago Arriva cut the route to Bootle North Park-Penny Lane.

Cracking post this. Thanks for sharing! Smile

Growing up around Belle Vale in the early 90's, I always wondered why the Kirkby - Halewood service was given the number 192, when the 92 that I knew of (Crosby-Penny Lane) went nowhere near it.

It wasn't until I did a bit of internet digging that I found out about the pre de-reg 92 that is mentioned in the post above! Wasn't there also a 92A variation of the MPTE service that I seem to recall reading about? Not too sure.

I remember the first time I used the 92 was around 1997 to get to Crosby Marina. We caught a North Western National to Picton Clock on the 79 (I'm pretty sure it had Skelmersdale branding) and then what must have been a E*** WBG Alexander Olympian on the 92.
On the return journey, it was an Atlantean in the 10** series with very very threadbare and worn modular seating.

Can't remember what our return 79 bus was unfortunately. Saying that, it could have been a 14 or a 38!

Hope i haven't rambled on too long! LOLHammer
92A Pier Head-Kirkby Admin
92B Pier Head-Northwood

92B got renumbered to 157, 92A was part replaced by 156 in the infamous Kirkby renumbering scheme, when most Kirkby services got numbered in the 150-159 series.

Also at d-reg the tendered 92 got numbered 219, because of the 192, as Merseytravel tendered services were numbered 100-250 series although there was exceptions.

(18/06/2018 10:49)MTL0201 Wrote:  Been looking at the 1, St Helens-Atherton, on the face of it that was a bizarre pointlless route, much of the route covered by other routes mainly 32 Hindley-Atherton & 320 Platt Bridge-St Helens, also interesting the LUT Atherton depot was the Southside of Atherton towards Leigh, the GM Buses depot i'm familiar with was near the rail station on the Northside of Atherton.

Come to think about it, in 70s & 80s St Helens had a few companies operating in the area, you had MPTE, GMPTE, LUT, Crosville & Ribble.

The 1 was originally a trolley bus route. LUT operated trams (as South Lancs) from Atherton and the whole thing was highly regulated. Also LUT operated across the South Lancs coalfield and this was reflected in in their routes. Many routes became less significant as collieries closed down. There most westerly services interchanged/transferred at Newton Station and transfer tickets could be used on 60 61 62 63 64 50 51 52 53 44 . Couldn't be used on the 39 as that was joint operation although it was only ever operated by LUT. Computer
I think LUT were involved in three routes out of Liverpool from South John Street but I may be wrong. These were 39 to Mancheter, 317 St Helens and 320 to Wigan. Ribble, and St Helens/Wigan Corrporations were also involved.
Ribble also ran a W4 workers service from Mann Island to Bold Colliery.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(01/07/2018 05:00)childwallblues Wrote:  I think LUT were involved in three routes out of Liverpool from South John Street but I may be wrong. These were 39 to Mancheter, 317 St Helens and 320 to Wigan. Ribble, and St Helens/Wigan Corrporations were also involved.
Ribble also ran a W4 workers service from Mann Island to Bold Colliery.

Correct, my 1977 MPTE Liverpool area timetable book has LUT as a joint operator on the 39/317/320 routes, the 317 was withdrawn in 78 when the Liverpool-St Helens rail frequency was improved which just left the 39 & 320.

39 was hourly Liverpool-Tyldesley, with 2 hourly extentions to Manchester.
317 made a combined 15 minute frequency with 39 & 320 St Helens-Liverpool.
320 was every 30 minutes.

Journey time was just over 45 minutes Liverpool-St Helens, after d-reg when the 39 became the 34, journey time was still 45 minutes but the 34 almost always arrived early, 34 was early over most of the route quite often back in the day, always ended up waiting a few minutes at Astley, Leigh, Newton Le Willows-St Helens, Leigh was were the driver changes took place.

Probably early with it being a very fast express service. If I remember correctly, the stopping pattern between St Helens and Liverpool was something like:

Victoria Square
Toll Bar
Prescot Hope & Anchor/Clock Museum
Page Moss
Eaton Road (For Alder Hey)
Old Swan#
Edge Lane
Brownlow Hill
Then most City Centre stops

# = route changed at one point to run via Queens Drive, so I think the Old Swan stop moved to just before the Queens Drive turn.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)