Current time: 19/04/2024, 08:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GM Buses Express 400 and 401
GM Buses Express 400 and 401
Hello,

I'am after some information regarding the Gm Buses Express routes

400 Bolton to Manchester Airport

also

401 Wigan to Oldham

I used to use these routes a lot in the 90s

And have a few questions

When did they start operations

Were Oldham Bury And Wigan the only depots to operate them

What vehicles were used on them

Lastly when were they withdrawn.

Any help much appreciated

Thank you most kindly
Quote this message in a reply
RE: GM Buses Express 400 and 401
Read this link i`m sure it will help you;
http://www.stuartvallantine.co.uk/articles002.htm
Credit to stuart vallantine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonesy3001/

If it's not in london they dont want to know
Find all posts by this user
(09/10/2012 01:20)jonesy3001 Wrote:  Read this link i`m sure it will help you;
http://www.stuartvallantine.co.uk/articles002.htm
Credit to stuart vallantine.

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I was looking for and really helpfulWave
As I remember it the 400 was Stockport - Bolton and run till around 10 years ago. Bluebus then operated it for a short while but then gave up.

The 401 was originally Wigan - Atherton - Bolton - Bury - Oldham
then was rerouted via Westhoughton at de-reg, then re-routed away from Wigan and terminated at Bolton instead. then ended quicker than the 400.

There was also a 402 which initially was Leigh - Atherton - Bolton - Bury - Rochdale and operated mainly by AN witrh an odd occasional working by RE depot.

Later at De-reg this was used for a new route which was Warrington - Winwick - Newton - Leigh - Atherton - Bolton but this ended in 1988 and Warrington instead ran a replacement 419 between Warrington and Leigh only.

Gilesbus1
(01/11/2012 00:10)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Later at De-reg this was used for a new route which was Warrington - Winwick - Newton - Leigh - Atherton - Bolton but this ended in 1988 and Warrington instead ran a replacement 419 between Warrington and Leigh only.

Gilesbus1

The 419 was run by WBT for quite a few years before being transferred to Arriva, who renumbered it 319 and withrew it not so long afterwards.

I also remember the 500 (Bolton - Altrincham - Airport) - I think the service went through quite a few areas but can't exactly remember the precise route. I know at one time when North Western the service was extended to Wigan.
I think the 500 ran via Walkden, Worsley, Trafford Centre, Stretford and Sale.

In the latter days of the 401, the service ran between Bolton and Stockport via Bury, Middleton, Oldham, Ashton, Denton and Reddish. After First withdrew it, Stagecoach ran it for a short period between Stockport and Middleton.

400 ran until around 2004 with the last couple of years operated by Blue Bus. They also ran a 401 journey which ran via the M60 motorway between Middleton and Bredbury. Have a timetable dated August 2004 for the 400/401, which I've attached.

Attached File(s)
.htm  400 & 401.htm (Size: 47.92 KB / Downloads: 13)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)