Current time: 16/04/2024, 12:43 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
(07/02/2019 09:14)M60lad Wrote:  Dont forget that if this story is actually true and Oldham Depot is sold then whoever gets it can't do much with it due to the fact the building itself is a listed building, the same I think with Queens Road.

Not so, they are grade 2 listed and not grade 1, lets not forget part of Atherton was grade 2 listed and that was demolished - all it means is that a penalty has to be paid for demolish-ion, and based on the rate of property values that can be gained back. Also its probable only parts are listed and that they could be incorporated into any new developments.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
If queens road is sold off either by first or a new owner (if they flog the entire manchester outfit) then they'll have to negotiate a deal with the transport museum as don't forget they occupy the back half of the depot.

Not sure what the current arrangement is, best guess is that they rent it from first. If it were sold they'd probably start a fundraising drive to buy their section of the depot, can't really foresee them moving their entire collection.
(07/02/2019 16:08)33109 Wrote:  If queens road is sold off either by first or a new owner (if they flog the entire manchester outfit) then they'll have to negotiate a deal with the transport museum as don't forget they occupy the back half of the depot.

Not sure what the current arrangement is, best guess is that they rent it from first. If it were sold they'd probably start a fundraising drive to buy their section of the depot, can't really foresee them moving their entire collection.
Are you sure they rent it or did GMPTE give it to them when they had GMBuses?
Pass on that, just a guess.
I think the Museum isn't effected as that building is separated by a wall and owned by TfGM.
(07/02/2019 19:54)gilesbus1 Wrote:  I think the Museum isn't effected as that building is separated by a wall and owned by TfGM.

I got told the Museum was seprtate and they paid a 'peppercorn' rent. Not sure if it's to tfgm but I don't think it's got anything to do with First.
(07/02/2019 22:35)Mayneway Wrote:  I got told the Museum was seprtate and they paid a 'peppercorn' rent. Not sure if it's to tfgm but I don't think it's got anything to do with First.

Yep, id agree with that, its not connected with First, there was a period though in the past when the museum was thinking of moving to Heywood on a building close to the East Lancs Railway and the plan was to put in the Boyle Street building the Minibus Fleet of Manchester Community Minibuses (not MCT) but the other outfit, of course that all come to nothing.

If Queens Road was closed and demolished the only effect it might have on the museum is related to event days when vehicles from the collection are parked in Queens Road out of the way to allow exhibits/stalls to be in Boyle Street, in that event other arrangements may need to be made somewhere else. Unless of course some fund raising took place and exhibits moved into Queens Road itself as an additional museum building - that would be a dream.
The museum is owned by tfgm I'm assuming first will have some kind of lease or rent on the building where they occupy
(06/02/2019 11:01)gilesbus1 Wrote:  There is no way that Stagecoach could take Oldham or any part of it as the Tameside and Middleton routes stray onto its operating area.

There was a said deal twelve months to two years ago when Stagecoach were having Bolton and another operator, RATP if I recall wanted the other two.

Since RATP has lost Metrolink it would be interesting to see if this is still the case.

First may sell them as separate depots but its not beyond the realms of possibility that one operator may buy two or even all three depots as they are going to be sold cheaply. Individual depot sales might also interest Rotala who could perhaps raise enough capital to buy one depot and expand there operations, perhaps Bolton then Atherton could be closed and everything moved there, this could be the reason why a said possible buy out by Rotala of Arriva depots by Rotala, particularly Bolton, in Greater Manchester has gone cold.

Though to my mind I suspect because of the prospect of franchising a London based operator, either Comfort Delgro or Transit Systems might try to get some or all of the depots, not lets forget that, that's who bought most of Firsts London Operations when they pulled out there, though it would be a big learning curb for who ever was left in charge to change them to making a profit as I guess the current management team would remain with FirstGroup or get the push.

I agree that Rotala may well be keen on Bolton. I know that we have System One and Get Me There ticketing, and the CMA may intervene, but for something resembling integrated transport I hope we have Rotala buy Bolton, Stagecoach buy Manchester Queens Road and Transdev buy Oldham. The exception would be the Oldham - Huddersfield section of route 184 which First would retain and transfer to First WY - Huddersfield. The Manchester section would be replaced by extra route 180 journeys.
No chance Stagecoach would be allowed to buy any of the 3 Depots

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 28 Guest(s)