Current time: 19/04/2024, 16:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
Optare Solo 53138 (EU54 BNK), has arrived at Oldham from Chelmsford.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
According to the GMCA committee, Manchester metroshuttle has been up for retender with huge changes, I wonder if First have won again.
Quote:In terms of the Manchester Metroshuttle, the current contract with First
Manchester is due to expire in November 2018 and the contract has
subsequently re-tendered during June and July. This is the subject of a
separate report to this Sub Committee

https://www.greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk/...-committee
(16/08/2018 18:40)AlexBus12 Wrote:  According to the GMCA committee, Manchester metroshuttle has been up for retender with huge changes, I wonder if First have won again.

A reduction to 2 routes and a reduction of the PVR by 7 is quite a hit, but I prefer the new routes put forwards - it seems a much simpler system.
(16/08/2018 18:40)AlexBus12 Wrote:  According to the GMCA committee, Manchester metroshuttle has been up for retender with huge changes, I wonder if First have won again.

https://www.greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk/...-committee

From what I've heard it sounds like First have lost it this time around. Unsurprisingly considering the mess they've made of it.....
I can see the new Route 1 being very popular especially around Christmas with the main market being Albert Square, route 1 is then a quick link to Piccadilly Rail Station. I am surprised they are still keeping the Salford Central area. In the time the bus has messed around getting people into Salford Central, they would be nearly at Victoria where a lot more trains run or they could have got off slightly earlier at Deansgate or Oxford Rd where again, the same trains or an alternative train is available. Rather than using up more resources on extending the route round Salford Central, they should use those resources on increasing the frequency. Many a time I have been on a full and standing Metroshuttle at peak time. That's all they need.

I think it's very clear looking at the stats on that page that the 2013 routes worked. Since the big route mess up, passenger numbers dropped significantly.
First's new ticket machines will start to be introduced from tomorrow (18 August).

[Image: Dk0SLNrXgAUCgrb.jpg]

From First:

Quote:New Ticket Machines
As part of a range of improvements we’re making to help us deliver for our customers, we’re rolling out a new ticket machine on all of our buses which means there will be some changes in the way we issue tickets to our customers.You will soon start to see QR codes on your tickets.

The roll out of new machines will be done in two phases across our different areas:

18th and 19th of August - Queens Road and Rusholme depot

Affecting services: 17, 17a, 18, 19, 33, 41, 42, 52, 53, 63, 67, 92, 93, 95, 97, 98, 100, 135, and all School services

1st and 2nd of September - Oldham and Bolton depots

Affecting services: V1, V2, V4, 2, 6, 8, 24, 36, 37, 38, 39, X39, 58, 59, 68, 81, 81a, 83, 149, 162, 163, 180, 181, 182, 184, 331, 333, 340, 346, 348, 350, 353, 354, 389, 393, 409, 415, 425, 454, 457, 471, 472, 474, 501, 507, 511, 524, 561, 562, 582 and all School services.

Tickets issued on buses

From the dates above tickets will now include QR codes these must be scanned by the customer on the new ticket machine to record future journeys.

Customers who use our mTicket app

Any new and previously activated tickets from the dates above will now feature a QR code which must be scanned on the ticket machine to validate travel.

Get Me There, Igo and Consessionary passes
Customers who use a smart card facility like the Get Me There, Igo and Consessionary passes must scan your passes on the new tickets machines as you would normally do.

As this is a phased role out you may find that some buses you board do not yet have the new machines, dont worry the driver will still accept your ticket and allow travel. If you bought your ticket before the dates above and do not have a QR code this will also be honoured by the driver (for example period tickets such as weekly, monthly and student tickets).

https://www.firstgroup.com/greater-manch...t-machines
Metroshuttle 59001 is at Stagecoach Rock Ferry depot for refurbishment ahead of the contract change. As for who will be taking over the shuttles, looks like we now know...
Who's won it then? Hope the extension down castlefield to mosi will re commence as quite a few people used it.
(26/08/2018 17:51)33109 Wrote:  Who's won it then? Hope the extension down castlefield to mosi will re commence as quite a few people used it.

I thought the fact work is being done at a Stagecoach depot would be a fairly strong clue.
It's good there's another operator taking over. The optares have done well so far, the full electric versions are good but a bit jittery in stop start traffic.

User(s) browsing this thread: 27 Guest(s)