Current time: 23/04/2024, 07:03 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail
RE: Merseyrail
https://www.merseyrail.org/news/merseyra...-2019.aspx
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(20/01/2020 20:39)Gordon V Wrote:  https://www.merseyrail.org/news/merseyra...-2019.aspx

If it wasn't the best performing TOC there would be a lot of explaining to do.
(21/01/2020 19:43)mikestone Wrote:  If it wasn't the best performing TOC there would be a lot of explaining to do.

Why?
(21/01/2020 23:10)507022 Wrote:  Why?

Because the Merseyrail network is almost self-contained, Merseyrail trains don't really come into contact with other passenger and freight trains. As such, they don't suffer from knock on delays that can result from other operator's services being delayed
(22/01/2020 09:39)Walton 46 Wrote:  Because the Merseyrail network is almost self-contained, Merseyrail trains don't really come into contact with other passenger and freight trains. As such, they don't suffer from knock on delays that can result from other operator's services being delayed

The figures are bent anyway by the constant semi fast running, on Chester line in particular trains often miss out Liverpool or Birkenhead to Hooton stations once they are 5/6 minutes late.
(21/01/2020 23:10)507022 Wrote:  Why?

I would hardly have thought it necessary to explain, but apart from the above they effectively have a single train fleet, so minimal training and any train can assist a failure unless you are unlucky enough to have the RHTT behind it.
(22/01/2020 17:54)mikestone Wrote:  I would hardly have thought it necessary to explain, but apart from the above they effectively have a single train fleet, so minimal training and any train can assist a failure unless you are unlucky enough to have the RHTT behind it.

oh lets wait for the utter chaos when one of the new trains fails in service with one of the older trains behind it during the new trains introduction.
(22/01/2020 12:10)DVG526 Wrote:  The figures are bent anyway by the constant semi fast running, on Chester line in particular trains often miss out Liverpool or Birkenhead to Hooton stations once they are 5/6 minutes late.

That old chestnut. Once a train misses a booked station call its automatically counted as a ppm failure anyway.
That's a little true fact that the media love to overlook...
(22/01/2020 17:54)mikestone Wrote:  I would hardly have thought it necessary to explain, but apart from the above they effectively have a single train fleet, so minimal training and any train can assist a failure unless you are unlucky enough to have the RHTT behind it.

They run a more intensive service and more trains than a lot of TOCs with one platform terminal ends with short turn rounds at many places. Whilst acknowledging it is MOSTLY self contained, your assumption that it's almost a given to be top is exaggerated and flawed. How many TOCs run trains in an environment of underwater tunnels for example. Merseyrail may not be competing with other TOCs but these environmental factors make up for it
(22/01/2020 22:45)507022 Wrote:  They run a more intensive service and more trains than a lot of TOCs with one platform terminal ends with short turn rounds at many places. Whilst acknowledging it is MOSTLY self contained, your assumption that it's almost a given to be top is exaggerated and flawed. How many TOCs run trains in an environment of underwater tunnels for example. Merseyrail may not be competing with other TOCs but these environmental factors make up for it
Meh, I agree with Mike. While Merseyrail does run a more intensive service (I would argue comparable to C2C in that it's relatively self contained and not affected by other operators much), I think that on the whole, when an issue arises, they can fix it quite quickly by skip stopping which while it affects the PPM, it doesn't affect it as much as being late (at least currently where it is based on arrival time at the end station and not on a per station basis. Staff only need to be type trained once (maybe twice but I don't think there is much difference between the 507 and 508s), and staff have more route knowledge so the potential pool of staff for working services is much higher.

I think that if we compared Merseyrails 'normal' timetable to what actually runs, the PPM would be much lower. For example the temporary timetables which get introduced for large events like The Giants which can leave Chester and Ellesmere Port with a sub standard service. Another thing which is worth mentioning is that for most of last year, they have been dealing with part of the network being closed off for platform works.

User(s) browsing this thread: 22 Guest(s)