Current time: 16/04/2024, 19:50 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fare Increases
RE: Fare Increases
(30/07/2013 16:24)wirralbus Wrote:  These really small priced fares are just gimmicks really to get you to use that media associated with that ticket.

There is loads of availability!

Never once failed to get a fare under £10, with about 2 weeks notice. Not many people know about it.

There is >30 (under £10) tickets available every day on the 13:48 LIV-EUS service, and on the 21:07 EUS-LIV.

Next Tuesday, Virgin Trains, booked through the Megatrain site, a ticket can be had for £9. Which is cheaper than any ticket a booking office could sell.

Indeed, at this present moment, on the same 1348 train, a ticket office could only sell you the £26.00 advance, as the other tickets have been sold out.

Really isn't a gimmick. Some of the Megatrain fares are franchise obligations. Not to mention the fact that "Megatrain" is not advertised much, if not, at all.

Travel is glamorous only in retrospect.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
^But the fact still remains that it is not a "walk on ticket".

As great a price as Maesteg-Treherbert for £10 is, it's not much use to commuters on Merseyside.

I think what WirralBus was trying to say is that for mileage, Merseyside has one of the best value "walk on" ticket pricing.

Take the £10 unlimited off-peak travel across the Merseyrail network for two adults and three children - I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything of similar value anywhere.

“People's backyards are much more interesting than their front gardens, and houses that back on to railways are public benefactors.” - John Betjeman
Walk on Tickets and advanced purchase tickets have gone in differeing directions over the years , one seemingly getting cheaper and the other reaching the stratosphere .

You will find that the cheapest advance purchase fares will always be available on the last services as people find them not acceptable times for onward transport when you arrive back in Liverpool.

You may find the Government may have to stick in new guidelines in to keep walk on fares more acceptable , there is people who dont know in advance they have to travel and are penalised for the fact.
One advantage of London Travelcards is that they allow railcards to be used. Last time I was in London (last February), I think the Zone 1-6 Travelcard was around £6, maybe £6.50 with a 16-25 railcard. The area this allows and sheer volume of potential public transport options massively outweighs what the Saveaway could offer. For me, this represents better value than the Merseytravel Saveaway, but both aren't bad.

Glasgow's options are much more expensive - the Roundabout ticket cost more than both of the aforementioned tickets, but was for rail only in a more limited area.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
You have to say though at least the advance fares these days are much better value than the first generation of advance purchase tickets like Super Apex (14 days in advance ) Apex (7 days in advance ) and Super Advance (1600 day before travel).

In those days some of the companies where only just getting used to yield management of there products .
A zone 1-6 travelcard is £8.90 with no railcard and £5.90 with 16-25 railcard. The services are much more frequent which can equate to better value too. I just think for what Merseyrail/Merseytravel are, the prices of the off-peak tickets/saveaways are good. A 3 zones weekly trio currently stands at £26. A 3 zone London oyster travel card is around £35.

London is a much bigger place than Liverpool. I commuted from Tulse Hill to Kentish Town for 3 weeks and the thameslink was a nightmare. Completely packed trains, reguarly cancelled etc.. not good value for me.
Today was the day when the RPI for July was announced which is 3.1% . Note that there is another measure of Inflation CPI which ATOC doesnt use.

That means fares will increase by a minimum of 4.1% , the way the formula is set these days some fares can be over that figure .

The way Merseyrail set there fares in that they use the Inflation Rate +0 .
There will be a fare increase on January 2 for most train companies , this increase will be 2.5%

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)