Current time: 18/04/2024, 22:22 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Bootle Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Bootle Depot
I too have no concerns about the power and torque produced by the Cummins engine in the Enviro400s. The six-speed gearbox means the gear ratios are much shorter and the engine is in its powerband more of the time, and more willing to kick down and produce meaningful acceleration.

An example of this is the rather long uphill gradient on Main Street in Billinge (on the 352 route) - some Pulsars need first gear for that (painful), whilst the Enviro400s power up there like it's nothing - despite being nearly two tonnes heavier and producing a very similar amount of power and torque.

(02/03/2015 18:51)Barney Wrote:  I too rode on the new Enviro400s yesterday and welcomed free wifi and effective heating. One of the question marks against them is the relatively small engines that they have and it has been suggested that they will not cope the demands of a full load. The one I travelled on out of the city up Scotland Road went through the gears smoothly and showed an excellent turn of speed. Admittedly the bus was only half full but I am sure that they will be adequate for the rigours of the 52/52A.

The WiFi worked on all three of the Enviro400s that I travelled on yesterday and all were also were very warm - which for me is a very welcoming feature

Considering the engine size (6.7 litre) I think the Enviro400s cope extremely well with full loads. Green Lane's 4586, 4588 and 4593 in particular are particularly very good performers under full loads with an excellent turn of speed. I travelled on 4630 from Netherton yesterday morning and it coped with a full load without any issues at all

I have noticed also that as you come out of St Helens on the 10/10A and travel up Borough Road I found that Pulsars (particularly under a full load) struggled however the Enviro400s climb it with ease. I think the Cummins engine with ZF gearbox is an excellent combination
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I will reserve full judgement on the new enviros until we go a bit down the line as really i would expect a new bus to be a decent ride, but essentially these are more or less the same s those we already have. The wi-fi is certainly welcomed on these buses though and is a big plus. As for the older ones, well the ex LS ones could certainly do with a good refurb and a good overhall with things being tightened as the ride quality is not that great on any of them. As for the 09 platers, some of them also smell a bit and could also do with refurb, one or two ride better than others but don't think they ride particularly great.
(02/03/2015 19:24)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  The WiFi worked on all three of the Enviro400s that I travelled on yesterday and all were also were very warm - which for me is a very welcoming feature

Considering the engine size (6.7 litre) I think the Enviro400s cope extremely well with full loads. Green Lane's 4586, 4588 and 4593 in particular are particularly very good performers under full loads with an excellent turn of speed. I travelled on 4630 from Netherton yesterday morning and it coped with a full load without any issues at all

I have noticed also that as you come out of St Helens on the 10/10A and travel up Borough Road I found that Pulsars (particularly under a full load) struggled however the Enviro400s climb it with ease. I think the Cummins engine with ZF gearbox is an excellent combination

To play on reports and personal experiences of the batch of 12 we received in the North East last year which are used on far more demanding routes than those based in Liverpool - they're already making an impact on what is possibly a contender for Arriva's longest single route in the UK (the X18 between Newcastle and Berwick via the Coast and Alnwick). As they can last virtually 18 hours on a single tank of fuel (at least 2 boards are out from 6am until nearly midnight) they are proving to be a success. Even the Sapphire examples are holding their route together while the older 57-reg examples keep struggling.

Your roving North East reporter, bring you the latest news from Arriva North East, Stagcoach North East and Go North East.

My Flickr
Updated regularly
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
I had 4630 on the first 52A from Netherton this morning. Warm within minutes unlike the Pulsars which don't seem to warm-up much if at all on their first journeys. It was quick moving off and generally a smooth, pleasant ride. Also had 4621, 4623, 4624, 4628 and 4634 so far since yesterday (odd one or two a bit sluggish pulling-off, but found their power as they went through the gears), but 4630 stands-out as the best one for me at the moment.

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
4623 on 60 whilst a pulsar was on 52.
Not seen 4626 in town yet,maybe on 60

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
(03/03/2015 18:26)Penny Return Wrote:  Not seen 4626 in town yet,maybe on 60

I think that I can report the first failure of one of the new Enviro400s. A mate of mine has just emailed me a photograph of 4621 outside Tescos in Litherland with its hazards on and the driver looking a bit cheesed off. To be fair, it's the 64 plate one so it's getting on a bit now.
The four Enviro400s that weren't on the 52/52A this afternoon were 4621, 4623, 4626 and 4636. However, one of those that were on the route proceeded to fail just after lunchtime (it wasn't 4621) and was replaced with, wait for it, a Pulsar. Dodgy

The use of the spares appears to be poor. 4416 was at least on the 53 this afternoon but they couldn't even manage a full allocation of deckers on the 56 where a Dart was in use today. It appears the spares are going out on the 60 and 61, where more than enough deckers are already allocated. Using the leftover Enviro400s on the 53 and 55 would actually be of a lot more benefit.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
I have yet to see a spare on the 61, have seen a couple on 60 though. As for the pulsar on 52, well I did mention that earlier.

There are still one or two 12 plate pulsars hanging about, 3111 was out on 53 earlier, probably be gone in a day or two.

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)